sabatier

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Artur

Reaction score
Hi guys !
I want to buy a Sabatier 25 cm stainless chef's knife (but I don't know if Ksab or Elephant Sab or Lion Sab is the better brand ? Lion Sabatier 58-60 hrc KSab 52-54 hrc,i guess the elephant holds the edge better ? Anyone have any experience ?
Alternatively does anyone have experience with carbon steel Sabatier ? I work 12 hours in a kitchen how much does carbon steel Sabatier rust ?
I have a question is there a Japanese knife that is 24 cm and in the same price range as the Sabatier ?

Hi

I’m a beginner here and not the best person to answer your questions.

The carbon sabatiers I have aren’t too bad for rust but when freshly sharpened do taint onions (they go greyish).

Forgive me if I’m being simplistic, but to get an idea of carbon steel a really cheap option is to buy a folding carbon steel Opinel knife, which is a really handy thing to have, and just use that a while at home (I use mine for making a working lunch - slicing peppers and fruit etc). That blade is reactive enough to require a wipe down each time, acquires a patina etc. I left it out in the rain camping once, it entirely seized up overnight! I do really like mine.

Hope that’s of some help!

The carbon Sabs are certainly not the most reactive ones. Besides that, carbon will only rust if neglected. Rinse and wipe immediately after every use. The key word here is immediately. Don't wait, or it will indeed rust.
After a while a patina will get installed, providing some protection. You may force a patina prior to first use if you want.
A much more serious problem with new Sabs is in the unpredictable Fit&Finish. Bents and warps are too common. The factory edge is a disaster. Far from ready for use.
Japanese knives who used to be a better alternative come these days far to fat behind the edge, and first require a serious thinning operation.
The only carbons in the Sab style that are ready for use are the Robert Herder 1922-series.

Does it have to be a Sabatier? Your descriptions of how it's used (long shifts, some concern about rust) make it appear that other kinds of knives might be better choices. I'm no chef, but I'm going to guess that a 52-54 HRC doesn't sound like the best of plans for 12-hour workdays.

What do you think of this instead?

https://www.cleancut.eu/butik/knifetype/gyuto/gyuto-knife-sg-2-4850-4851-detail

The carbon Sabs are certainly not the most reactive ones. Besides that, carbon will only rust if neglected. Rinse and wipe immediately after every use. The key word here is immediately. Don't wait, or it will indeed rust.
After a while a patina will get installed, providing some protection. You may force a patina prior to first use if you want.
A much more serious problem with new Sabs is in the unpredictable Fit&Finish. Bents and warps are too common. The factory edge is a disaster. Far from ready for use.
Japanese knives who used to be a better alternative come these days far to fat behind the edge, and first require a serious thinning operation.
The only carbons in the Sab style that are ready for use are the Robert Herder 1922-series.
I have said it before and will say it again. That Herder 1922 is a beautiful and really nice working knife👍

Back