Sabun powder pro 100

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daniel_il

Reaction score
have anyone ever used Sabun powder steel?
i have found this 240 gyuto yo handle for around 200usd (amazon japan)
look like interesting option for daily workhorse but no online info.

any kind of info and user experience would be helpful :)
Daniel.

sabun-apu-02-2__94550.1593296483.jpg

Yeah have you checked Kochmalscharf ? It's in German but google translate should get you pretty far. I've at least seen the brand name Sabun pop up a fair few times, but I can't remember any details or whether this line has been discussed.

Yeah have you checked Kochmalscharf ? It's in German but google translate should get you pretty far. I've at least seen the brand name Sabun pop up a fair few times, but I can't remember any details or whether this line has been discussed.
Yes it was this forum, it was a very brief recommendation. no details about the steel, grind etc..

I think Sabun is a brand that is more appealing for commercial use than for enthusiastic. I might try their virgin carbon (all steel) line, they are fairly cheep. their 240 Wide Gyuto Knife(Komagiri) look like worth trying(approx 70usd).

they certainly don't look like anything crazy, but if performance is there I'd be willing to give them a shot. unfortunate there's been so little discussion given this forum's knowledge base

Sorry to dig up the thread but I’m interested as well, it says FAX20 on the blade, the only info I can find is from another seller, the composition is as follow

“Manufactured by Nachi Fujikoshi Corp, composed of Carbon 1.5%, Chromium 13%, Molybdenum 2.75%, Vanadium 1.5%, Manganese 0.3%, Silicon 0.3%, Rockwell Hardness 65.5 HRC.”

it is the same manufacturer as SRS15 which is quite similar but with Tungsten, on Nachi Fujikoshi’s website there’s no longer FAX20, maybe it is discontinue… anyway it seems interesting

https://kazsknifeonline.com.au/prod...ed-steel-gyuto-21cm-with-black-plywood-handle

Sorry to dig up the thread but I’m interested as well, it says FAX20 on the blade, the only info I can find is from another seller, the composition is as follow

“Manufactured by Nachi Fujikoshi Corp, composed of Carbon 1.5%, Chromium 13%, Molybdenum 2.75%, Vanadium 1.5%, Manganese 0.3%, Silicon 0.3%, Rockwell Hardness 65.5 HRC.”

it is the same manufacturer as SRS15 which is quite similar but with Tungsten, on Nachi Fujikoshi’s website there’s no longer FAX20, maybe it is discontinue… anyway it seems interesting

https://kazsknifeonline.com.au/prod...ed-steel-gyuto-21cm-with-black-plywood-handle
Seems like a similar composition to D2

Screenshot_20230903-011751.png

Got one due to curiosity, it’s actually cladded, and no fax20 on this one, maybe they changed the steel. The choil doesn’t look like much but it is actually a good cutter, hamaguri edge really cuts.
IMG_1548.jpeg
IMG_1551.jpeg

Looks like TFTFTF isn't the only one who prefers choil-notches.

It cuts quite well out of the box, but I added a relief bevel a la Sugimoto anyway, take 5 minutes on FSK 1000. It’s quite a nice cutter, here’s a small video I call why laser doesn’t nessarily cuts better, the yam is like a day old so softened a bit, but CCK -the archetype laser still hesitant abit in the middle, tho much better than when yam was hard, it will need some force, Sabun just went through like nothing, both fresh sharpened on same set of stones. BTW Sabun takes a great edge, not as hard as I thought, so probably not something like Hap40.
IMG_1690.jpeg
IMG_1691.jpeg

Last edited:
Overall I really like it, the balance is slightly ahead of the heel which is good for a western 240, the profile is nice, not super tall, works well for me. This one is a pleasant surprise

Just noticed this thing has tapered tang, really nice. Also 80% sure this is a old styled Akifusa PM before they went banana profile
https://www.epicedge.com/shopexd.asp?id=85649View attachment 294005View attachment 294006
I have been summoned 😛 It's touching to know that my annoying weekly crusade in search of a 180mm Akifusa PM gyuto (that I haven't mentioned in almost two years!) still resonates through the ether of the collective subconscious enough to elicit a PM on this

It definitely looks very close to the epicedge Akifusa, the one big difference I see is the handle thickness. It's not so pronounced with your 240mm gyuto but it's quite striking on the santoku:

IMG_5886.jpeg

If you compare the listed weight of the EE Akifusa vs Hocho's Powder Pro, it seems to confirm there's a significant difference in weight between the two, aside from the petties:

IMG_5885.jpeg

@blokey I know I already bothered you about this over pm but I'm curious if you could confirm the spine of knife itself has the same distal taper? It should be about 3mm at the heel

I have been summoned 😛 It's touching to know that my annoying weekly crusade in search of a 180mm Akifusa PM gyuto (that I haven't mentioned in almost two years!) still resonates through the ether of the collective subconscious enough to elicit a PM on this

It definitely looks very close to the epicedge Akifusa, the one big difference I see is the handle thickness. It's not so pronounced with your 240mm gyuto but it's quite striking on the santoku:

View attachment 300247

If you compare the listed weight of the EE Akifusa vs Hocho's Powder Pro, it seems to confirm there's a significant difference in weight between the two, aside from the petties:

View attachment 300249

@blokey I know I already bothered you about this over pm but I'm curious if you could confirm the spine of knife itself has the same distal taper? It should be about 3mm at the heel
The spine doesn’t have taper sadly

Back