Knives & Stones Sakai Takayuki Syousin Sakura 240mm Gyuto Passaround in the US

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update:

Got a name, phone number, and Facebook/instagram page. All seems to line up including correspondence with james. He is ignoring my calls and texts. I sent emails to his current employers but haven't heard back. Any thoughts on how to proceed? Anyone in the Philadelphia area?

Send messages to his friends that seem to be in contact with him and alert them that he is a thief.

This and call the cops...

Problem is that he and his friends may all be within the same circle and all be crooks, especially if this has happened 5 years ago to another member as well. You may have to get the police involved and/or show up at his work… are there actually bounty hunters for hire in the USA like I see on tv?

If his employer is reputable they probably don't want the bad publicity and would try and force his hand to resolve and make it go away… just tread lightly so you don't get in trouble yourself.

This last bit may not be helpful at this point, but since I recall old PM's were missing, are there still email notifications of said PM's? I usually get an email for each PM with the message included which eventually get archived in my other emails, so still have a record even if I empty my PM folders at KKF.

I really hope this ends positively for everyone.

Sorry for the confusion. I just wanted to state how sh!tty I thought it was that people from our forum would do something like this (to their own). In so doing wanted to explain how I was taken advantage of. As far as I know IT IS NOT the same person.

Bump, still no response. Any ideas. I'm tempted to post contact and business info here but not sure if that's against the rules. We have no members in Philadelphia willing to lend a hand?

If neither the guy nor his employer has answered in any way, than I would say the next step is to inform the police. He was given a fair chance to make things right.

While I am not sure it would be OK to publish the person's name, it surely is OK to publish the Restaurant he works for.

Update: I searched gmail for the dudes name and found my kkf stamp pm confirming the name of the person in question and that the address he gave me is one of the restaurants he works or worked at. I've tried calls and texts to him, contacting work via email, and via phone, no answer. I figure that's sufficient effort to give an opportunity to make things right. So.....

Since no mods have chimed in on this here you go:

https://m.facebook.com/andrew.gleason.9
Instagram: @beerchef7
Cell: +1 (267) 334-9833

Employer:
Crime and Punishment Brewing
2711 W Girard Ave
Philadelphia, PA 19130
[email protected]
https://m.facebook.com/Crime-Punishment-Brewing-Co-332769353525129/
https://www.instagram.com/crimeandpunishmentbrewingco/
https://mobile.twitter.com/CandPBrewingCo
http://crimeandpunishmentbrewingco.com

Other employer (possible former employer) where the knives were mailed to:
Bud and Marilyns
1234 locust st
Philadelphia PA 19107
[email protected]
Follow Us On Twitter@budandmarilyns
Follow Us On Instagram#budandmarilyns
www.budandmarilyns.com

Thanks very much Pleue. I sincerely hope that guys will pay for what he had done.

*** I have received information that Bud and Marilyn's no longer employs Andrew Gleason. Please don't contact them if you'd like to add your voice to this issue.***

A cliff notes of what has transpired:

A well respected vendor who serves this community with its products and by contributing substantially to this site had knives stolen from them by one of its community members, Andrew Gleason. These knives were part of a passaround, something that used to happen often in this community where people and vendors shared often very expensive knives with the KKF community to use and even abuse and trusted that the knives would come back to them and the community would be enriched because of it. That facts of the theft are outlined in the thread if you need more details and the thiefs information is posted above. I am available to try to answer any questions you have via PM or in public. If you as a vendor have been in a similar place, please support your fellow vendor. If this attack on your community matters to you, please make your voice heard.

If this is just a place where people come looking to buy Katos, that's fine too, but if so I may need a new hobby.

I said it before i will say it again . Best thing to do is involve the local police force and ask to make a report for this gentleman . This is a fellony and since there is theft that exceeds 500 dollars (typically between 500-1000 depending on state), the police can handle it by issuing a warrant if they can not locate the gentleman .
Bottom line is that if we want to get him to return the stolen knifes or pay is to do exactly that .

Now i have to admit the confusing part here is that this is a rather unusual crime and there is an unusual type of deal with the passaround . I had a very unique knife stolen in a hotel i worked for and i was so mad with the incopetence of management that i called the police and filled a report for my loss. I am not sure who needs to report this to the police the last person that had the knife or maybe the person that didint receive the knife ? Only the police could answer this complicated question . I am pretty sure they will ask you to submit photographs of the knife and anything else you have on this guy.

I am not a Pennsylvania attorney and so cannot give any actual legal advice in this matter. But I have spent my career in the criminal justice system and so have some thoughts about how you might want to consider proceeding.

As others have suggested, it is often a good idea to contact local law enforcement. District Attorney's offices typically cannot take action without first receiving a referral from the police. I would start by figuring out in which jurisdiction the crime actually occurred. In this case, your best shot is probably the city where he was working at the time that the knife went missing, since it is reasonable to believe that he used the knife at work ("probable cause" is typically defined as a "reasonable belief," under the totality of the circumstances, that a crime has been committed). If you can figure out which precinct the restaurant is in, you can call the precinct and explain that you need to file a theft report, and want to know the appropriate way to do that. You may also let them know that you have information that the suspect has since changed work sites. If the new restaurant is in a different jurisdiction, they may advise you to file the report there instead. Because you have good suspect information, one of those municipal police agencies will likely dispatch a patrol officer to contact the suspect at his place of employment.

Beyond that, here is a little background on what appears to be the relevant criminal provisions. In Pennsylvania, a person is guilty of "theft" of moveable property if the person "unlawfully takes, or exercises unlawful control over, movable property of another with intent to deprive him thereof." 18 Pa.C.S. § 3921(a). To "deprive" means either (1) "[t]o withhold property of another permanently or for so extended a period as to appropriate a major portion of its economic value;" or (2) "to dispose of the property so as to make it unlikely that the owner will recover it." 18 Pa.C.S. § 3901.

There is also the crime in Pennsylvania of theft by "deception." That crime occurs when a person "intentionally obtains or withholds property of another by deception." 18 Pa.S.C. § 3922(a). A person "deceives" another within the meaning of that section if the person "intentionally * * * creates or reinforces a false impression, including false impressions as to law, value, intention or other state of mind; but deception as to a person's intention to perform a promise shall not be inferred from the fact alone that he did not subsequently perform the promise." 18 Pa.S.C. § 3922(a)(1).

As relevant here, theft is a third-degree felony if the value of the stolen property exceeds $2,000. 18 Pa.C.S. § 3903(a.1). If the value is less than $2,000, but more than $200, it is a first-degree misdemeanor. 18 Pa.C.S. § 3903(b). If the value is between $50 and $200, it is a second-degree misdemeanor. 18 Pa.C.S. § 3903(b)(1). Less than $50 is a third-degree misdemeanor. 18 Pa.C.S. § 3903(b)(2).

The "value" of the stolen property "means the market value of the property at the time and place of the crime, or if such cannot be satisfactorily ascertained, the cost of replacement of the property within a reasonable time after the crime." 18 Pa.C.S. § 3903(c)(1).

Again, I cannot give legal advice in this matter but hopefully that provides some potentially useful educational starting points for looking into the issue further.

Just wondering, not knowing US laws... why is this theft rather than fraud (if there was never intent to send it further) and/or embezzlement?

Just wondering, not knowing US laws... why is this theft rather than fraud (if there was never intent to send it further) and/or embezzlement?

Theft is often defined as taking or exercising unauthorized control over the property of another with the intent to deprive. There may be some overlap with fraud, depending on the circumstances. But if you look a the Pennsylvania fraud statutes, they do not seem to fit nearly as well the conduct at issue here: http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/legis/LI/consCheck.cfm?txtType=HTM&ttl=18&div=0&chpt=41

Speaking of calling, how about you just call crime and punishment brewing and post here that you did? I did and left a message with a host for their gm/exec saying as a former chef de cuisine and gm that the worst thing I could think of having in my kitchen was a thief and that they have one on theirs. I'll be calling philly pd tomorrow.

Back