Salad.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
green papaya, thai salad.. the scariest thing about this salad for me is the Mandoline..(shiver!)

but i love making this salad. if you need protein, a grilled skirt steak sliced super thin against the grain looks and taste great perched on top.

When I worked at Royal Barge Thai in Phoenix the old lady would make this salad everyday. She never used the mandoline. She would hold the papaya in one hand and with the other she would take a giant Thai Cleaver and whack the papaya about a million times and then shave paper thin noodles away from her. Then all the ingredients would go into a mortar and pestle and she would toss the papaya in. ooooh baby!!!

our most popular salad at work CK14 salad

2cups organic baby arugula
1/2 julliened granny smith apple
1/4 cup dried Michigan sour cherries
1/4 cup whole raw pecans
1 1/2 oz cave aged English cheddar crumbles
housemade apple cider vinaigrette.
seasalt and lots of fresh cracked black pepper

Damn good salad

yea, i was walking around in thaland and saw a lady about to give a cooking class. she saw me staring in the window and waved me and my wife in. i saw the ingredients laid out, and plopped down money right there and then.

first thing she taught us was this salad. she did it with a knife too!! i am not that skilled, yet.

mandoline city at my home for now.

Baby iceberg, cut into sixths - wedges, dress with shaved white onion, white anchovy, grated hard boiled egg, caper berries, lots of soft herbs, aioli, breakfast radish, maybe some grilled pencil thin baby leeks.

Tonight I did mesclun greens with humboldt fog, candied macadamia nuts, local blueberries and a meyer lemon vinaigrette.

our most popular salad at work CK14 salad

2cups organic baby arugula
1/2 julliened granny smith apple
1/4 cup dried Michigan sour cherries
1/4 cup whole raw pecans
1 1/2 oz cave aged English cheddar crumbles
housemade apple cider vinaigrette.
seasalt and lots of fresh cracked black pepper

Damn good salad

This is the closest in ingredients and concept for that salad I made that night for my father. Different cheese, nut, and apple (goat, pistachio, and fuji). Sometimes I change out jicama for the apple. I have also started to used hulled watermelon seeds instead of nuts. I like how seeds adhere to the lettuce leaves.

Other things I like to add: tarragon is my favorite herb and pickled mustard seeds give a pop.

I rarely like any sort of crouton, but lightly sautéing some cubed bread in oil with paprika is nice for a bit of spice. I even sauté the bread cubes in broken down, melted anchovies and oil for caesar salad. My wife doesn't care for anchovies, so this provides one more opportunity to pick our or 'manage' how much anchovies are in her salad.

k.

All too healthy for me. ;) How about a 'Schweizer Wurstsalad'? Cut something like bologna (or polish sausage etc), Emmental Swiss cheese, onion, pickles into strips somewhere between julienne and batonnet; marinate at least a couple of hours in a vinaigrette that is a bit on the sour side, you can also add a splash of the pickle juice. Best with a fresh rye bread from the brick oven and a fresh beer from the tab.

That said, I also enjoy a classic salade nicoise, a simple but fresh caprese, or just some endive fresh from my Mom's garden. She makes it with this great sauce that has sour cream in it and she binds it with a mashed boiled potato - sounds weird but one of my favorites. And don't get me started on potato salad...

Stefan

Conversely I also made a Bacon Buffalo Shrimp composed salad today as well. Shrimp, Bacon, Rick's Original Honey Buffalo Sauce, Maytag Bleu, Diced Celery and Red Onion. Win.

Also Marinated Flank Steak Composed Salad. Grilled Flank diced, Grilled Red Onion diced, Cherry Tomatoes halved, Scallions, Diced Mango, Cheddar Crumbled, Balsamic Vinaigrette.

There was also a chicken, corn, ranch concoction as well.

Theory, this isn't the Last Poster thread! :nunchucks:

Our popular summer salad at the club:

Compressed watermelon over aruglula tossed in basil infused olive oil and aged balsamic reduction topped with tomato water aspic and cracked tellicherry peppercorn.

There are some great salads here already, I'm partial to leafy greens with cherry tomatoes diced Fiji apples goat cheese and vinegaret. The dressing is super easy, half and half olive oil and balsamic vinegar, a small bit of mustard, finely minced clove of garlic, salt, pepper. That's the base and is great on its own, add lime juice, shallots dried cranberries, whatever else you want to tweak it. I have a small jar with lid that's only job in the kitchen is mixing salad dressing, add all ingredients, shake well and let sit for about 10 minutes poor over salad just before serving.

thick slice bologna, coated in flour, dipped in egg wash, pan fried
smoked almonds
romaine
grape tomatoes
diced celery
diced red onion
blanch dressing (mix half bleu chz half ranch together)
drizzle cholula hot sauce on top

boom, your dad would make this at home himself.

smoked almonds
romaine
grape tomatoes
diced celery
diced red onion

I think I may have died a little bit there.

smoked almonds
romaine
grape tomatoes
diced celery
diced red onion

I think I may have found a second way to eat bologna now!

This is a Turkish or Greek peasant salad. Large chunks of tomato, cucumber, onion, maybe olives. Dress with lemon juice and olive oil. Eat with fresh bread. Drink wine. Take a nap in the sun.

Tonight I did mesclun greens with humboldt fog, candied macadamia nuts, local blueberries and a meyer lemon vinaigrette.

Love Humbolt Fog. This one sounds dead on to me with Meyer lemon vin.

This is a Turkish or Greek peasant salad. Large chunks of tomato, cucumber, onion, maybe olives. Dress with lemon juice and olive oil. Eat with fresh bread. Drink wine. Take a nap in the sun.

I love that. I've probably been to Turkey and Greece a dozen or so times and their chunky, simple style salad has always been one of my favorites. I also love how Syrians eat plain cucumber. They partially peel the cucumbers, leaving strips of skin on and slice it chunky. Then they just dip it in salt and consume. My two-year-old eats cucumbers this way a couple times a week. Chunky and simple.

k.

When I ate at Chuckles restaurant a couple of weeks ago we had a watermellon salad that had a basil puree, red onions, arugula and crumbled goat cheese that was fantastic. K if you didn't try it I would definitely recommend it.

When I ate at Chuckles restaurant a couple of weeks ago we had a watermellon salad that had a basil puree, red onions, arugula and crumbled goat cheese that was fantastic. K if you didn't try it I would definitely recommend it.

I didn't try that salad, but I will the next time -- if it is still on the menu. The nice thing is that Parma is right on my way home from the airport; you can see it from the road, exit 7B.

k.

One salad addition I like is plumped raisins. 1/2 C raisins, t sugar, 2 T red wine vinegar. Heat up until the liquid is absorbed and add to salad.

Also, if you add chickpeas to a salad, the 360 full circle canned ones are my favorite.

k.

I love to eat salad specially in my dinner. Salad is my most favorite food item. All green vegetables are good to make salad. Salad has all important nutrition for our body so it is good to eat salad daily.

do you have a santoku?

Latest posts

Back