Sand Paper Grit?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julian Nell

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a King 1000 stone that has dished about 1-2mm, and I would like to buy some grit paper to un dish it; what grit should I use?

Thanks,
Julian

80-120 would work. You might want to refine it with 220 when you're done, but I don't usually bother.

Thank you. I believe I saw somewhere that 150 is a good range; I guess that was right.

You can consider drywall screen of the same grit. It will stick and clog less compared to sandpaper.

Too late; I just bought it. It was only 5 dollars, though. So, do I need to wet the sandpaper down as well as soak the stone or just soak the stone and start rubbing?

Thanks,
Julian

P.S. I know to put the sandpaper on a flat surface.

Wet will clog pretty quick Julian. You can start flattening stone to stone if you have another and finishing with the paper if your worried about loading up the paper.

Too late; I just bought it. It was only 5 dollars, though. So, do I need to wet the sandpaper down as well as soak the stone or just soak the stone and start rubbing?

Thanks,
Julian

P.S. I know to put the sandpaper on a flat surface.

Wet the paper as well, including the back. It will help the paper to adhere to the flat surface. Use plenty of water to minimize clogging as much as possible.

Thanks for the help everyone! It won't be very much of a fix, just a quick bit to keep everything flat.

If it's really dished and you're finding sandpaper too slow, a cinderblock or a flat section of the sidewalk could speed things up.

If it's really dished and you're finding sandpaper too slow, a cinderblock or a flat section of the sidewalk could speed things up.

+1. Some of my Jnats come raw with no usable surface, and I found that the concrete slab in front of the house really helpful :p

...and as the sandpaper clogs up with stone slurry....rinse it off

I will fo that. Thanks Mike. I think I might do some sharpening tonight, so that will be my first try at flattening.

Back