Sanding handles

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dc2123

Reaction score
Hi, I was thinking about burning one of my ho wood handles and wanted to know if you sand before and/or after

also what grits would I use and how long roughly would I sand for?

Never done it but I would think since flaming raises the grain sanding post treatment is needed.

Sand after. I think I started with 320. Then went up to whatever felt nice. I know it wasn't more than 1000. Then just used some board oil.
IMG_20200323_150634.jpg

Is 230 to low for a finishing paper? It’s all I have right now.

IMHO that is fine if you like a grippy feel. While I dislike the look of a plain ho wood handle, it's hard to argue with how nicely grippy one is especially when wet. You can always sand to higher grit later if you aren't satisfied.

Tried it first on my duck slicer
D7FB77E3-99CC-4154-B068-39C570F9EFDE.jpeg

Don’t know if I did it properly... but I think it looks good and feels pretty good. Did not sand it after the torch or oil.
I sanded it months ago though..

After, as stated. Sand with 125, 220, 400. Higher if desired. Coat if desired.

Hi, I was thinking about burning one of my ho wood handles and wanted to know if you sand before and/or after

also what grits would I use and how long roughly would I sand for?

i simply just sand mine, oil them and then i'm kinda done. never understood why one would also burn them. but hey whatever floats your boat. sometimes i wish my job would burn down.

i simply just sand mine, oil them and then i'm kinda done. never understood why one would also burn them. but hey whatever floats your boat. sometimes i wish my job would burn down.

partially because I like the aesthetic and partially to keep me occupied during these times.
Though it only sopped up about 7 minutes of my day ..

I know I’m late to the replies here, but basically if your happy with the shape of the handle before torching it, leave it be and grab the torch.
After torching, depending on how heavily you burnt the wood, buff with sand paper. I like to reveal some of the lighter wood beneath the burnt surface, like blonde highlights. To so this start with 220 or 300 grit, then work your way up to final desired grit.

when I start with the low grits I don’t really sand until smooth. I like to leave some texture in the “scratch pattern”. That said I will go up to 1500 in sand paper, then buff with micro mesh. This gives the handle a nice sheen an visual depth while still maintaining texture from scratch pattern. Then I’ll finish with oil.

here’s a couple pics, 2 Mazaki gyutos I reshaped prior to torching, a dalman I just “highlighted”, and a saya as well

72F54CBE-7EC4-4674-9BF0-333F326E1257.jpeg
4DF626AF-A496-4559-9A41-1B797EB35DF7.jpeg
419C89C4-4BC3-4827-B947-FCAA12CA95A1.jpeg
8215EF13-9A78-4CE5-8216-0775B768B8FC.jpeg

I know I’m late to the replies here, but basically if your happy with the shape of the handle before torching it, leave it be and grab the torch.
After torching, depending on how heavily you burnt the wood, buff with sand paper. I like to reveal some of the lighter wood beneath the burnt surface, like blonde highlights. To so this start with 220 or 300 grit, then work your way up to final desired grit.

when I start with the low grits I don’t really sand until smooth. I like to leave some texture in the “scratch pattern”. That said I will go up to 1500 in sand paper, then buff with micro mesh. This gives the handle a nice sheen an visual depth while still maintaining texture from scratch pattern. Then I’ll finish with oil.

here’s a couple pics, 2 Mazaki gyutos I reshaped prior to torching, a dalman I just “highlighted”, and a saya as well

View attachment 75170 View attachment 75171 View attachment 75172 View attachment 75173

I love that matching saya and handle, I take it you just went extra long on the char for that one.

I was thinking about taking one of my handles to that point. Does it damage it in anyway if you char that deeply?

@Dc2123 that handle was done by Mr Bryan Raquin himself, so I can't provide to much info in that regards

@Dc2123 that handle was done by Mr Bryan Raquin himself, so I can't provide to much info in that regards

Ahh that would make sense. After seeing his handles that was my thought to char them deeply, but won't do it until I know for sure thats the route.

I suspect that's the route. The dalman was pretty much black as well

Ahh that would make sense. After seeing his handles that was my thought to char them deeply, but won't do it until I know for sure thats the route.

I do not think you can get the Raquin effect by charing any wood. There has to be a difference in the character of the early wood and late wood rings. If they char at a similar rate you get the whole thing to burn. If they char at different rates you develop the prominent veining you see on the Raquin handle above.

Back