Santoku search

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BTW, there is a Z-Kramer santoku in R2, but it comes with a western handle instead of the hybrid wa handle.

Checking them all out thanks guys....so far a couple top contenders. ...almost wondering if I shouldnt just look for a 6-7 gyuto profile now?....that short and think it is considered a petty.....still learning all the lingo....wish I could read kanji.

Certainly, there are more options in mini-gyutos than santokus at that price range. And it's the direction I'd go.

I think even a 180 petty is still less tall than a 180 gyuto.

Certainly, there are more options in mini-gyutos than santokus at that price range. And it's the direction I'd go.

I think even a 180 petty is still less tall than a 180 gyuto.

Thats why I was thinking santoku....since I have petty's and gyuto's.

Most of my kitchen work is prepping vegetables.

Eyeing an MTM cutting board to go with it now.

Last edited by a moderator:
......since I have petty's and gyuto's......Most of my kitchen work is prepping vegetables.

Now you tell us.:whistling: The obvious answer is you need a Nakiri. Vegetable machine. Watanabe has an especially nice one avail, stainless Damascus, 180mm, for about 400 bucks. I want it but you can go first.

Is it clear as mud yet?

Now you tell us.:whistling: The obvious answer is you need a Nakiri. Vegetable machine. Watanabe has an especially nice one avail, stainless Damascus, 180mm, for about 400 bucks. I want it but you can go first.

Is it clear as mud yet?

I wouldn't put that much money on a new shape up front - my (Ikeda) nakiri is on the shelf after a couple of sessions because it just felt like crap compared to gyutos.

- ...my (Ikeda) nakiri is on the shelf after a couple of sessions because it just felt like crap

That's why I suggested a good Nakiri. Ha!

The Santoku is a hybrid of the Gyuto - which OP has - and a Nakiri. The expression "Does everything a little bit but nothing worth a $hit" comes to mind for Santoku. Granted, some love them but....

A Watanabe Nakiri lives in my work bag. Onions by the bag, peppers by the case. And shrooms? No better knife.

That's why I suggested a good Nakiri. Ha!

The Santoku is a hybrid of the Gyuto - which OP has - and a Nakiri. The expression "Does everything a little bit but nothing worth a $hit" comes to mind for Santoku. Granted, some love them but....

A Watanabe Nakiri lives in my work bag. Onions by the bag, peppers by the case. And shrooms? No better knife.

I thought Ikeda was considered a great smith?

If you really want to get set straight on Santokus, the Feb. 17 (just came out) Blade magazine has an article called "Santoku, King of the Kitchen." No Japanese made blades in the article as far as I can tell. :)

I had a takeda nakiri ....wasnt very comfortable to me.....too flat...reminded me of an ultralight clever. ...I gave it away. I chose the santoku profile because 8 dont own one but always the first knife I grab at my brothers when helping in the kitchen.

Look at buy sell trade threads, there is a Ryusen Blazen Damascus for sale. It has western handle, which is lacquered and shiny. It will not remain for long like that, but hey.... time and use take a toll [emoji4]
I have a Blazen santoku, without Damascus, I use it pretty often, very thin over the edge, only a nakiri can cut thinner onion.... which just made me realize that around x-mas, I will go for a Blazen Nakiri [emoji4]

Look at buy sell trade threads, there is a Ryusen Blazen Damascus for sale. It has western handle, which is lacquered and shiny. It will not remain for long like that, but hey.... time and use take a toll [emoji4]
I have a Blazen santoku, without Damascus, I use it pretty often, very thin over the edge, only a nakiri can cut thinner onion.... which just made me realize that around x-mas, I will go for a Blazen Nakiri [emoji4]

Saw that....looking for a wa handle.

I respect it and I read it. I mentioned it because western will get you more years, and if you use it for a long time is more relaxing for the arm, because of more equal weight distribution [emoji28]

I gave up on using santokus years and years ago after realizing they're just not great at anything. My wife likes her rehandled Tanaka R2 wa santoku though.

I have several other knives but this is my first santoku....so far its the first to get grabbed out of the block......tested it on topping an artichoke.....push pull and done....scary thin though....my first knife made of AEB-L.

That's a nice handle btw. Who's the maker?

That's a nice handle btw. Who's the maker?

Its a Rose City....out of Portland OR.
the cutting boards are by a guy named Dave Carrol
he can custom make what ever you want for an extremely reasonable price and his customer service is incredible. ...he text me severals pics as the build progressed.

Back