Shaping handles:Tool recommendations

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It'll work OK. :D

I was thinking about this and I think a good tip to give you is to cut the scales as close to shape as possible before sanding. The reason is that this sander is underpowered for hogging off material. Also use lighter woods and very coarse belts. :)

A 12" half round coarse bastard file is a great tool for hogging off material. Put a handle on it and Robert is your mothers brother. Then go to the belts and life will be lovely!

Thanks for the tips! I'm sure I'll have more questions when I actually try to assemble the handle. I've been watching lots of you tube videos and there seems to be a lot of variation on how to do things.

That disc is not big enough to be your bestest friend in the whole wide world. For future reference, a 9 incher with a flat and a 1% beveled disc, a VFD with reverse and a foot switch fits that requirement to a T. With that said, it will be rather helpful as long as that fence is pretty square to the face.

Back