Sharpened my mower blade

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coxhaus

Reaction score
Thanks for suggesting using a 60-grit flapper disc for sharpening my mower blade. Nothing like power sharpening. It worked really easy and quick. For all you blue guys I used my Bosch grinder. I have 4 grinders and still looking.

IMG_1254.jpg

IMG_1255.jpg

Last edited:
flappy discs are brilliant, works on axes, hoes etc

Having worked with some Festool tools lately I've become a great fan of that brand

Never used flap-wheels outside of auto/welding applications, but I'm glad it worked for you.

In terms of angle grinders... Metabo. I've used them for a long time, and IMO they're the best on the market. The anti-kickback system they have has saved me a couple nasty accidents when cutoff disks shattered, and the grinder braked instantly... Great motors, smooth running, good ergos, never managed to kill one... Love 'em. Good brand also for corded drills.

Bosch used to be a quality standard 20-years ago (A Bosch jigsaw was like a Milwaukee drill: the gold standard.). Today, they're not made how/where they used to be, and I've been very disappointed with the latest Bosch equipment I've used/handled.

Having worked with some Festool tools lately I've become a great fan of that brand

Big fan of my Festool, too. Great brand when you want fine tools for more precise work... Big prices, though. Especially after their last two rounds of price increases...

Never used flap-wheels outside of auto/welding applications, but I'm glad it worked for you.

In terms of angle grinders... Metabo. I've used them for a long time, and IMO they're the best on the market. The anti-kickback system they have has saved me a couple nasty accidents when cutoff disks shattered, and the grinder braked instantly... Great motors, smooth running, good ergos, never managed to kill one... Love 'em. Good brand also for corded drills.

Bosch used to be a quality standard 20-years ago (A Bosch jigsaw was like a Milwaukee drill: the gold standard.). Today, they're not made how/where they used to be, and I've been very disappointed with the latest Bosch equipment I've used/handled.

Big fan of my Festool, too. Great brand when you want fine tools for more precise work... Big prices, though. Especially after their last two rounds of price increases...
Yes, I have a Metabo that I use for heavy grinding. I used it in my last welding class. I also have Dewalt 20v battery grinder I use for light cutting. I have a nice sweet little Makita I use when I am on a latter.

I have some old Milwaukee tools back when they were made in the USA. They are much better than the new stuff and some of them are 30 and 40 years old. I don't buy the new ones. I have some 28 volt Milwaukee battery tools. The Sawzall was my favorite and I still have one. The batteries are real old now and don't work so well. The other ones I have sold off.

I have never owned Festools.

Yes, I have a Metabo that I use for heavy grinding. I used it in my last welding class. I also have Dewalt 20v battery grinder I use for light cutting. I have a nice sweet little Makita I use when I am on a latter.

I have some old Milwaukee tools back when they were made in the USA. They are much better than the new stuff and some of them are 30 and 40 years old. I don't buy the new ones. I have some 28 volt Milwaukee battery tools. The Sawzall was my favorite and I still have one. The batteries are real old now and don't work so well. The other ones I have sold off.

I have never owned Festools.

Makita's stayed middle of the road in quality for a long time... Pretty reliable company. You're rarely going to go wrong with them. Handled a lot of their tools.

I miss what Milwaukee used to be. They were like South Bend lathes... :(

Fein's a good company... Dearer than Metabo, but their gear is still quality... Festool's the S-Class of power tools; not the G-Wagen. Metabo and Fein fill the gap of the 'rugged' tools more, but Festool has the ergonomics and precision nailed for the fussier stuff.

I just sharpen with a file but a flap disc would probably be faster. I was taught to check the balance after sharpening a mower blade by hanging the blade on a nail. I would think it would have to be off quite a lot to cause an issue but I don't know, might be complete BS but I do it.

I use either an 80 or a sanding disk (120ish) on my 6”. I have a paddle Metabo but I tend to reach for the Milwaukee cordless.

Back