Sharpening and Music- what are you listening to?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never listen to music while sharpening. The music is the sound of you sharpening. It's quite important to listen to the sound of the blade and stone. It will tell you when you've altered your angle, done something wrong, and whether the stone is biting properly.

I never listen to music while sharpening. The music is the sound of you sharpening. It's quite important to listen to the sound of the blade and stone. It will tell you when you've altered your angle, done something wrong, and whether the stone is biting properly.

That's me too. I have to (need to!) listen to the nuances of metal on stone to give me the "feel" and feedback. Perhaps many many years from now and after thousands more sharpening sessions I may be able to put on Ali Farka Toure or Thelonious Monk or Rachel Podger and still do a good job of it.

On a tangential note, I appreciate many of the great instructional vids from some of the members here but I do wish they didn't have the obligatory overlay of music. It'll be so much more helpful for me to be able to hear the metal on stone, stroke by stroke.

I agree but I still listen to NPR or BBC radio 1extra (UK DnB/garage/house/funk)

Latest posts

Back