Sharpening - Sit or Stand

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a really compromised right shoulder so standing gives me the ability to use the rest of my body to get the job done. I sharpen from my hips!

I sit when I pack the knife up and I stand when I give it to the mail person to be sent to Dave, so I do both :D

If I do sharpen myself, I stand. But usually my sharpening time is limited by the onset of back pain, still have to play around with the height of the kitchen counter, I guess.

Stefan

Prone.
Definitely prone.
Whilst on the couch.
And one handed... how else are ya gonna hold a martini ? :wink:

Actually, for you that stand and experience back pain try elevating a leg by placing your foot on a short stool (or phone book, shoe box, inverted tupperware, whatever you have handy).

You might be pleasantly surprised...

I also rock back and forth slightly with my whole body most of the time, so standing is nice for that. And from the "time spent" thread, I spend way less time on each knife than most others, so 5 or 10 minutes standing isn't going to kill me or get uncomfortable, especially when I am used to standing at work 12 or 14 hours a day.

I also rock back and forth slightly with my whole body most of the time, so standing is nice for that.

I will catch myself doing this as well...stand with legs staggered and get my whole body into it.

standing-i always stand because i sharpen at my kitchen sink or at my homemade sharpening workbench in my basement. i was just recently allowed to begin sharpening upstairs because my wife is always asking me to sharpen her knife. it was a good trade for me :D

i tried sitting a few times but i found i wasnt able to get the right pressure. it just seems more dangerous and because im used to spending 10-14 hours on my feet anyway, it is a lot more natural

Back