Sharpening supplies

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe, Jon said in his video about the magic marker trick that you can use nail Polish remover to get the excess marker off; are there any other methods for getting it off?

Shouldn't you be sharpening it off? Where is the excess coming from if you only painted the edge?

Yeah not just the edge that currently exists I get that but I've never painted more than will be removed. Sometimes there might be a little bit of ink higher up on accident but Not so much to where I need acetone or anything. It usually just wipes right off anyway. :dontknow:

i color in more all of the time... it helps people see whats going on much more clearly

I believe, Jon said in his video about the magic marker trick that you can use nail Polish remover to get the excess marker off; are there any other methods for getting it off?

I was using Windex on my DMT plates to sharpen.

It seems to remove Sharpie alllll on its own, lol.

Anyhow, since you're not using Windex with your stones, I wanted to let you know. Its a quick way to remove the excess Sharpie. Spray down, wipe, done.

Also Dave's video is very helpful. It really covers the wire edge that you tend to get with Japanese knives. I would suggest getting some cheaper knives and practicing a lot. Most everything but the worst mistakes can be fixed. I find what hinders people wanting to learn to sharpen the most is being scared to do it. So they let their knives get insanely dull. Just getting the knife to the stone will make you more confident. Don't get too frustrated if you don't have a razor your first few times. Just try to make the edge better then what you started with. It's kinda like riding a bike. One day you just sort of get it.

If there is a female in your household there will be nail polish remover. Prob cotton balls as well. Polish remover is 2 bucks for a small bottle. Acetone is 2 bucks for a large bottle. Not sure of any other difference:cool2:

If there is a female in your household there will be nail polish remover. Prob cotton balls as well. Polish remover is 2 bucks for a small bottle. Acetone is 2 bucks for a large bottle. Not sure of any other difference:cool2:

just to throw out something you may have laying around the house...good old fashioned lighter fluid for the Zippo type lighters was made with naphtha that works to get it off too.

I have a question about the drywall screen since that is more than likely what I will use right out of the gate.

Do you need to fix it to the flat surface (ie marble tile etc ) or can you just lay it on there?

If you do adhere or fix it what and how do you do that?

Back