Sharpness question from a newbie - tomato problems

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should consider wire edges, as in you may be using them to cut with. Newspaper stropping is good for re-aligning a wire edge and a 1k stone leaves a decent wire and/or burrs. Sound to me that you didn't finish sharpening.

I appreciate your input on this, hopefully more people will jump in too.

I am about 90 % sure it wasn't a wire edge as the edge has lasted well,a wire should fail very quickly right?

So are you saying if deburred properly a 1k edge will push cut straight through paper?

Note :To deburr I use light stroping strokes with decreasing pressure , cut through cork, then a few very light stroping strokes then move to the newspaper.

Geoff sounds like good technique to me.All this push pull paper stuff,tried it with newspaper if that counts wt. blades just sharpened on my new shapton 2K.Push & pull no problem wt. 2K edge all carbons.As you said your blades work well in the trenches wt. a 3K S&G touch up stone.

I like to use a strop to finish when sharpening other peoples knives,cuz put on a nice polished edge.I think I maybe the only one still using Adams #2 polish on my strop.Very fine,nice shine.I bought a 16 oz bottle years ago & still have 3/4 bottle.It spreads nice on the leather,cleans up well wt. blue goop when too much metal in the mix.Just wash knives wt warm soapy water.You should do that wt.chrom oxide or diamond slurry too.:bliss:

Chromium oxide is great stuff and I use it all of the time too.

Please excuse my ignorance on this but if Chromium Oxide particles are round and gives a slippery edge then why do you use it instead of the diamond compound?

I think Dave was talking about a straight up and down motion through regular paper? No pull or push.

Yeah most knives I strop on 3k then newspaper.
Just my petty for trimming meat I stopped at 1k was aiming for more teeth on that particular knife .

Please excuse my ignorance on this but if Chromium Oxide particles are round and gives a slippery edge then why do you use it instead of the diamond compound?

Different edges for different types of blades.

Not going to speak for others, I tend to find it almost impossible to deburr completely when finishing on a 1k. With stainless this is most obvious. I prefer a further progression and ending with a few very light strokes on the 1k to restore the aggressive bite if needed.

sounds to me you're spending too much time on the 6k. do most of your sharpening on the 1k, then only use the 6k for a minute or two. 6k is too high for my taste even, i'd just stop at 1200 (finish with light strokes alternating sides each stroke) and strop on cardboard (WITHOUT compounds)

Not going to speak for others, I tend to find it almost impossible to deburr completely when finishing on a 1k. With stainless this is most obvious. I prefer a further progression and ending with a few very light strokes on the 1k to restore the aggressive bite if needed.

This is what I do on softer steel knives. I don't feel 6k is too high on hiromoto AS though.

Back