SHAVE OF THE DAY

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mr M - are all of these razors and brushes yours? If so, sick collection! If not, then what fun to use some many different ones.

Ever consider doing a vid on how you hone & strop one of your razors? I'm curious to see how you do it. Your edges must be super fine if you shave so frequently. As I've said before, I can't straight shave more than every 3 days, 2 at the most, or my face get too raw. My edges seem pretty smooth to me and shave quite well, but there is a bit of inconsistency from one shave to the next. I know I have room for improvement.

Magnus's edges are superb. I bought one of his BST razors, and it came with a fantastic JNat edge on it. I think there are some videos he has done of honing buried in here somewhere.

mpukas - I read somewhere that to toughen your face you actually should shave MORE with a straight rather than less, as it helps your face adjust to the new regimen. I am nowhere near an experienced straight shaver, probably just around 100 shaves in, but the more often I shave, the better my face has handled subsequent shaves.

Biggest rawness reducers for me to date: nice strop makes a big difference, face prep, keeping the angle shallow, focusing on a good with the grain pass, and finding the right soap. I tried creams and soaps, and finally dialed in on what works for me - natural ingredients, tons of tallow, and minimal perfumes, soap face lathering. Try Mikes Natural Soaps if you haven't - they are what got me over the rawness hump in conjunction with more experience. Also, I am STILL learning the best ways to hit my weird growth patterns on my trouble spots (next to mouth, and neck.) If raw, I would only aim for respectable shaves by giving a few passes with the grain. Once those irritation-free shaves start, it is easier to build on them with extra ATG por XTG passes as your face allows.

Mpukas - Yes thay are all mine. or 99% lol . i do have one honing video where i show all steps (with magnification x200) from 1k up to 16k on syntetic stones then i finish on a Japanese Ozuku Asagi with dmt slurry that i dilute to water witch works on this stone but many jnats works diffrent most jnats you hone with the slurry all the way to finish with very little water adding or no water adding honing to almost dry stone. its from stone to stone.

Skiajl - Thanks for the kind words. im happy straight shaving is going so well for you. :)

Razor: Towa
Brush: Neep Custom 24mm XST
Soap: T&H Grafton
AS: T&H Grafton

乾杯 / Kanpai :)

DSC02089_zpsc5b9c535.jpg

Shave of the day

Razor: Star-Raito Japanese razor
Brush: Edwin & Jagger Badger brush
Strop: Kanayama 20,000
Soap: D R Harris Windsor

Not a good shave. I'm still fairly new, but today I was a little too eager, ended up with a few nicks here and there. Still got a lot to learn...

Shave of the day - Christmas Gear!
Mikes Peppermint and Rosemary Soap
Chubby 2 Best
Filarmonica 13
Tony Miller Strop
Nivea Sensitive After Shave Balm

Excellent shave - skin a little sensitive with dry skin thanks old man winter.

Razor: Heljestrand MK29
Brush: Simpson Tulip T3 Manchurian Badger
Cream: Dr.Harris Windsor
AS: Dr.Harris Sandalwood

Smal but damn good. :)

[video=youtube;rPkqljRP6Ik]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPkqljRP6Ik&feature=c4-overview&list=UUW8eMt9iy0-4JakPtj_oOaA[/video]​

Razor: Custom Powell 8/8 Smiling Blade In Muskox Horn Scale
Brush: Rod Neep Custom Tall Zebra Deep Mount
Cream: Penhaligon's Endymion
ASB: Bulldog
EDT: Boss Soul

Very fun razor to shave with.

[video=youtube;RNolC048Qyw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNolC048Qyw&list=UUW8eMt9iy0-4JakPtj_oOaA[/video]

DSC02126_zps810ead26.jpg

Razor: SSA 7/8
Brush: My Aluminum/copper brush with 24mm silvertip
Cream: Razorock Classic
AS: JPG

Couldn't ask for a better shave.

IMG_0208_zps0b03318a.jpg

Razor: Max Sprecher 10/8
Brush: Simpson Tulip 3 Manchurian
Soap/Cream: GFT Spanish Leather
EDT: Rochas Man

DSC01446_zps61d79866.jpg

Razor: Bengall Caststeel Smiling Wedge
Brush: Mr.Skull 2-Band Finest
Mug: BAMF
Soap: SharpNshinyShop Mike’s Natural
AS: Dr.Harris Sandalwood Splash

Was it good? Yes.

Bengall_zps4138756f.jpg

Razor: Jeness Custom Kamisori 7/8 In Stingray skin
Brush: My 2-tone amboyna with 2-band finest
Cream/Soap: Cella

First shave with this kamisori from Jenes. works like a charm! love it!

DSC02305_zps9b56a45c.jpg

The video of Jeness Custom Shave​

[video=youtube;aqbAbADUiZQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqbAbADUiZQ&list=UUW8eMt9iy0-4JakPtj_oOaA&feature=share[/video]​

Razor: C.V Heljestrand MK31 in Curly Koa
Brush: My Curly Koa Brush with 2-Band Finest
Soap: Cella
AS: Gucci

Wonderful Shave Today. Happy Weekend Gents!.

Mg31_zpsa57acddd.jpg

Razor: Dubl Duck Wonderedge 6/8+
Brush: Simpson Tulip T3 Manchurian
Cream: Penhanligon's Endymion
EDP: Penhanligon's Endymion

I really like the Endymion scent <3

DSC00738_zps9fedb707.jpg

Damn you Magnus! Every bump of this thread makes me wanna try using razor for shaving (and dump the damn philips)!

As always :coolphotos:

Damn you Magnus! Every bump of this thread makes me wanna try using razor for shaving (and dump the damn philips)!

Thank you :)

Sounds to me like you need to commit to it, and once you do i dont think you're going back to the philips :happymug:.

Thought the same and started today with a new DE safety razor as a starting point. But I see another rabbit hole after a first wet shave

Razor: Filarmonica #14 SubCero
Brush: M&F XL2
Cream: Penhaligon's Endymion
ASB: Dolce Gabbana Sport
EDP: Penhaligon's Endymion

Perfect Sunday Shave.

DSC02372_zps286ffd3f.jpg

Razor: Erik Anton Berg Frameback T-Shell
Brush: Pixelfixed Custom
Soap: La Toja
EDT: Armani Code

I spent a solid hour on honing of this razor. The Steel is very hard and was not easy to hone and i didn't wanna rush so i took the extra time to make this one perfect. I decided to go with my Jnat Ozuku Asagi finish and the result was just perfect and deliverd a very smooth shave. I enjoyed this shave very much! :)

DSC02417_zpsf5e75b25.jpg

Shave Video
[video=youtube;OuLh7xZc4mw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuLh7xZc4mw&list=UUW8eMt9iy0-4JakPtj_oOaA[/video]​

Watch out been doing DE & brush about a year,now using a straight that I got fr. Mr. Magnus.Taking it in stages.Sides first,then after a few days around the mouth.Still have not done neck area yet.

Watch out been doing DE & brush about a year,now using a straight that I got fr. Mr. Magnus.Taking it in stages.Sides first,then after a few days around the mouth.Still have not done neck area yet.

Glad to hear your doing good Keith :)

Razor: Max Sprecher 8/8
Brush: Neep Custom Tall Zebra
Soap: RazoRock Classic

DSC00806-2.jpg

Razor: Custom By Anonymous 8/8+
Brush: Neep Custom Tall Zebra
Soap: Dr.Harris windsor
AS: Dr.Harris sandalwood

Fun shave!

DSC02549_zps47a57eeb.jpg

Razor: Jeness Custom 7/8 Damascus
Brush: Mr.Skull 2-Band Finest
Cream: Dr.Harris Windsor

Clean & Happy :)

DSC02629_zps3eb45a15.jpg

Razor: KROPP 7/8 Ebony
Brush: M&F XL2 2-band Blond Badger
Soap: TOBS Mr.Taylor
ASB: D&G The One Sport
AS: TOBS Mr.Taylor

Freshly honed on the Ozuku Asagi. Very nice and smooth shave. Happy weekend Gents!

DSC02754_zpsc5c8230f.jpg

Razor: Heljestrand N17
Brush: Mr.M Amboyna Burl 2-Band TGN Finest
Strop: Miller Custom Rattler. Horse&Linen
Cream: T&H Grafton
AS: T&H Grafton

Honed this razor on one of Mikael's Jnats from our last honing session in his garden. Shaved with today and it was a smooth and close shave!. Great & fun session! Thanks Mikael.

DSC02763_zpsfd12be0b.jpg

Next upcoming shave video will be with my latest Erik Anton Berg Pair :)

[video=youtube;MBFgwvfE_DU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBFgwvfE_DU&feature=youtu.be[/video]​

Razor's: Erik Anton Berg Framebacks Ivory
Brush: Mr.M Koa 24mm 2-Band Finest
Soap: NnockOut's Complicated
AS: Gucci

Been a while since i post in the SOTD. This shave was nothing but stellar. Tried a new soap (KnockOut) and it was a plessure. Easy to lather, Great glid against the skin and a scent that gets a 10 from me. Unique Citrus/lime with sweet notes and not to powerful. Just fresh and right.

That's it for today Gents. Have a great weekend.

/Magnus

DSC02821_zps3a6b3a1f.jpg

Razor: Max Sprecher 10/8
Brush: Mr.M Aluminum/Copper 24mm Silvertip
Soap: RazoRock Classic

Saturday Shave with one of the Sprecher's. Great Shave. Todays BBQ dinner With a bottle of my favorite Amarone.

DSC02834_zps65feb611.jpg

Back