Shaving with straight razor?? Newbie Help

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So if I bought a ready to shave razor and a strop I could use that for quite a long time is what you're saying?

As long as you don't bang the edge on the sink!

So I didn't get through this whole thing, but I picked up a few things that I can answer/comment on.

First, the razor. One thing that came up is the width of the blade. Honestly, it's personal preference. That said, I don't know too many guys that really prefer the smaller extremes (e.g. 3/8 and 4/8). I'm ok with a 5/8, but it sometimes just feels flimsy. My 5/8 is one of my nicest shavers in terms of the edge, but I prefer the feel of shaving with my 6/8 and wider blades. I'd recommend starting with a 6/8, because it's a middle of the road size in my mind (lots of people say 5/8, but I disagree). As for buying a razor, I'd really recommend a used shave-ready blade from straightrazorplace's classifieds. You're going to be able to get a great shaver for 20-60 bucks. I wouldn't drop the money on one of the plain new Dovos or one of the overpriced fancy ones when there are so many beautiful vintage razors out there. Look around for brands people like and pick one up. Anything from NY is likely to be a good shaver. Same can be said for Solingen. Lots and lots of nice looking vintage razors out there if you want to drop the cash, and that's why I wouldn't pay a lot for a newer razor. They don't look as nice to me, and the plain ones are more expensive than plain vintage razors...

Next, the brush. If you already think you'd prefer something stiff and scrubby, get a nice Semogue boar brush from vintagescent.com. They really rock, and they're cheap. Check out the owner's club brush or whatever they call it. If you know you'll want something with decent stiffness but stupid soft tips, don't waste time and money. Just get yourself a Thater brush from straightrazordesigns.com. If you want an in-between, a 2-band Simpson "Super" grade brush would be awesome. The Semogue limited edition finest is probably awesome, too. There are cheaper options like Simpson "Best" grade, but I haven't tried them. I went through I think 10-15 really high end brushes, because Thater wasn't as popular and easily available when I started. Or at least that's the excuse I'm going to use...Point is, if you really have a certain characteristic in mind, pick a good brush that has those. Don't just buy a random brush.

Strops...the one Maksim has is probably the best type of leather you can get. You can get it thicker (thicker leather) at http://easternsmooth.com/blog. It'll cost a lot more, though. I've heard SRD's Premium I and IV strops work great, too. I've used them and liked them, but didn't try them out extensively. I don't know if you'll be able to tell a difference in the edge from one of the cordovan strops vs. the SRD strops (I just haven't done side-by-side tests), but the cordovan just feels nicer to strop on. Its got the perfect amount of flexiblity, softness, smoothness, etc...I'd start with a crappy piece of leather first, though. I didn't really nick my first strop, but I know a lot of guys have trouble with that at first.

Stones...if you want a natural finisher, ask Maskim. An Escher (a legendary German finishing stone) is just stupid expensive and not necessary if you have an awesome J-Nat. If you're curious and rich, go for the Escher. For anything before that, I actually really like my Shapton GS 1k, and my Norton 4/8. The Norton is the one everyone recommends to new guys and I'd agree with the recommendation. It's ridiculously easy to use. That said, I haven't tried my Gesshin 2k or any other stones that are well known in the knife world for razors.

Soaps and creams...there are a ton. I really like anything from Speick. Cheap and very effective. Proraso is another. Musgo Real, Tabac, La Toja...those are some cheap ones. Some very good more expensive options would be Santa Maria Novella, Castle Forbes...I can't think of anymore right now since I sold so many of my soaps off.

Anyways, hope that helps. I can also point people to good info if anyone has specific questions. Shoot me, DC, or one of the other guys a PM.

I used my 4/8k norton to shave off of for almost a year before going Hone Crazy :p The stones you most likely already have will work just for to learn on. They just have to be flat, really flat, so a quality flattening system needs to be maintained. Yes wet-dry on glass counts in a pinch :p

Also if you dont even want to mess with hones, there are several people that will hone it for like 20 bucks. I did it once and the razor returned shaving great. I used it as a guide to get my other razor to the appropriate sharpness.

Also if you dont even want to mess with hones, there are several people that will hone it for like 20 bucks. I did it once and the razor returned shaving great. I used it as a guide to get my other razor to the appropriate sharpness.

StraightRazorPlace maintains a list of members who provide this service:

http://straightrazorplace.com/classifieds/showcat.php?cat=4

Note that #4 on the list is fellow KKF member, mainaman. He did an excellent job honing a Shizu Saburo kamisori I purchased from him, and if I had to entrust one of my razors to someone for honing, he'd be first on the list.

I figure I'll throw a little bit of nothing this way.
I have been using proraso shave soap with a nice, basic boar bristle brush (Omega) to "prep" my face for a week or two now. It's incredible what a difference a nice lather up can make. I actually look forward to shaving, and I'm still using the good ole' Mach 3.
My Böker King Cutter came in two days ago, but I haven't yet used it. It's a very nice feeling tool, and the blade looks great! The scales are akin to a Carter SFGZ, in that they serve a purpose, but leave a fair bit to be desired, visually. I'll be swapping them out with some of the cocobolo I recently picked up. I'm guessing it'll be a month or so until then, but once I do, I'll be sure to share the transformation with you guys.
I smell a new addiction - it's slightly menthol and eucalyptus scented....

It's incredible what a difference a nice lather up can make.
Yeah, this is one of the first things that I noticed when I got started with straights too--a good lather just makes your whole face feel so much better not just during but also after the shave!

That would work just fine John. I started straight razor shaving on and off for a year now. I get such better shaves with the straights. Not as smooth but getting there. The quality of the shave is what I find better. Less and less razor bumps every time.

This gentleman makes some really nice strops.

http://www.shop.thewellshavedgentleman.com/

This site which was already mentioned is great as well. Some pricey ones but budget razor's as well. The link below shows the one I purchased last year. It's a real beauty.

http://www.therestoredrazor.com/gal...-joseph-rodgers-a-sons-full-hollow-grind.html

Both vendors are great to deal with.

Enjoy the slippery slope.

Jason.

I decided to skip the razor and try it with my fuji. Not a good idea, apparently I am not as good at sharpening as MC is....I am back to electric.

I decided to skip the razor and try it with my fuji. Not a good idea, apparently I am not as good at sharpening as MC is....I am back to electric.

It takes time and practice, it is quite different from sharpening a knife.

Gave my request to 'Santa' for a starter straight razor earlier in the week, thanks to this thread. First knives, then cutting boards, now razors. What are you guys going to do to my wallet next?!?

Shavings brushes for sure. ;) There are same amazing brushes out there, just waiting to pamper your face.
My two babies:

Th%C3%A4ter_Simpson.jpg

Gave my request to 'Santa' for a starter straight razor earlier in the week, thanks to this thread. First knives, then cutting boards, now razors. What are you guys going to do to my wallet next?!?

Davd,

Starter razor?

Your wallet hasn't even begun to bleed.

Some of these are mine, some I wish were mine:

Tim Zowada damascus:

404b704e.jpg

Devin Thomas damascus:

1804f17b.jpg

Butch Harner damascus:

795bc9ac.jpg

Mastro Livi custon:

b5572b7a.jpg

Restored Sheffield with matching silvertip badger brush:

1b099e80.jpg

Dovo with ironwood scales:

a952de0d.jpg

Thiers-Issard:

9b92857c.jpg

Restored Sheffield with bubinga scales:

0d7b74f3.jpg

Or maybe this one :flame:

Iwasaki Kamisori

DSCF2230.jpg

DSCF2231.jpg

You had to do it. The last razor I'm really curious about is the Iwasaki kamisori. I've tried so many of the big names and have settled on a rotation I like, but I still really want an Iwasaki.

RAD, HAD and brother JNAD, BAD, SSAD, Sooo many AD's...

Lucky for me only RAD and JNAD really aflict me regularly and I have been able to curb that lately. Granted I like older used razors and can rapair them myself to a level I'm happy with for use. So I don't get tempted by the custom makers very often, although a Takeda/Livi has done it's voodoo on me and I still lust for one... But the cost of my regular cravings is very low, heck both my late 1700's shavers where under $13 dollard each. Japanese Natural stones... ya I don't have many and nothing to write home about but the work very well and didn't cost a ton of $$ ether.

The lifestyle change can be costly in a certin light, but it doesn't have to be. If you opt to do all the restoration, sharpening, and honing yourself and can control the AD's (RIGHT!!) it is alot cheaper than most other shaving systems in the long run. Also is your looking to lessen the crap in the landfills it is by far the best way to go, I throw away a soap wrapper every few months for my entier system. How much does modern shaving system add to the landfill everyweek??

Here's a pic of my new toy. It's not quite as exciting as the ones Rick posted, but it will most likely get a lot closer to the scales in the pic. To be continued....(in a little while - I'm a busy guy).

56444ada.jpg

Here's a pic of my new toy. It's not quite as exciting as the ones Rick posted, but it will most likely get a lot closer to the scales in the pic. To be continued....(in a little while - I'm a busy guy).

56444ada.jpg
Nothing to be shy about, Bocker are among the top shavers you can find.

Davd,

Starter razor?

Your wallet hasn't even begun to bleed.

Some of these are mine, some I wish were mine:

Tim Zowada damascus:

Devin Thomas damascus:

Butch Harner damascus:

Mastro Livi custon:

Restored Sheffield with matching silvertip badger brush:

Dovo with ironwood scales:

Thiers-Issard:

Restored Sheffield with bubinga scales:
Hey, that's my point. The 'starter' is so I can learn and then justify the real ones :O

Well, I just finished up my first solo straight razor shave. I prepped with hot water, and got a nice creamy lather with my boar bristle brush and shave soap, and had at it.
I planned on doing just the cheeks as recommended, but I got into it and got slightly carried away. I managed to get about 75% of my face done and realized I should make sure I know what I'm doing before tackling the really tough spots. I managed to stay nick free, and the feedback on the blade was amazing!
It was a ton of fun and I look forward to mastering the skill. :D
So, who's next to take the plunge?

if there is no fear or blood after the 75% point its worth giving a slow and steady shot at the last 25%

Well, I just finished up my first solo straight razor shave. I prepped with hot water, and got a nice creamy lather with my boar bristle brush and shave soap, and had at it.
I planned on doing just the cheeks as recommended, but I got into it and got slightly carried away. I managed to get about 75% of my face done and realized I should make sure I know what I'm doing before tackling the really tough spots. I managed to stay nick free, and the feedback on the blade was amazing!
It was a ton of fun and I look forward to mastering the skill. :D
So, who's next to take the plunge?

you're well on your way!

what pass did you do? ATG, WTG, XTG? I'll assume it was WTG. My first shave I went all out and did 100 percent. I've finally worked a XTG pass into my go. Still to scared to do ATG!

Jm, Rick, Butch (and anyone else who gives a crap), I did my whole face today and it went great! I ended up playing around with XTG, but used WTG for a full shave. It wasn't the world's closest in some spots, but the irritation was minimal, and I only very, very lightly nicked the corner of my chin. It didn't even bleed, really.
For anyone who is on the fence, I honestly think you should just give it a try. It's a ton of fun, feels great and there's something to be said for being able to shave the "real way" ;)

Jm, Rick, Butch (and anyone else who gives a crap), I did my whole face today and it went great! I ended up playing around with XTG, but used WTG for a full shave. It wasn't the world's closest in some spots, but the irritation was minimal, and I only very, very lightly nicked the corner of my chin. It didn't even bleed, really.
For anyone who is on the fence, I honestly think you should just give it a try. It's a ton of fun, feels great and there's something to be said for being able to shave the "real way" ;)

Way to go! Are you saving for your custom Harner?

bfab7414.jpg

Congrats! :thumbsup:

Always feels great when a plan comes together :)

DSC01292.jpg

When I decided to give straights a shot I picked up a razor at my local "antique" store. It was a BO_RAS_IC that turned out to have a bent blade. I honed it as best I could and managed to saw some whiskers off, the bought a "shave ready" one from the SRP which worked better. I just recently bought some naguras from our own JNS and used them with a shobudani asagi, then stropped on the Howard #255 paddle that I found at the flea down the street.
Today I used it and it was the best shave I have had yet. Super smooth and close.

Back