Shig anonymous

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought I had seen my fair share of Shigefusa unicorns until I saw these two knives today in Tokyo. Incredible; two unfinished, 300mm western handle kitaeji gyutos of which one is a single bevel (!!), the other double bevel. No rivet holes and these knives were not for sale...

gyuto300_1.JPG

gyuto300_2.JPG

:hatsoff: single bevel with integral bolster, damn...

would a single bevel gyuto be similar to a mioroshi deba?

EDIT
super cool find BTW. I wonder what other Shig treasures lurk around Japan that foreigners have no idea about

I think the mioroshi deba would have a very similar profile to the gyuto except that the Shinogi line would be higher up.

would a single bevel gyuto be similar to a mioroshi deba?

EDIT
super cool find BTW. I wonder what other Shig treasures lurk around Japan that foreigners have no idea about

A single bevel gyuto should be quite a fair bit thinner and lighter than a mioroshi deba. I handled a 240 Shig mioroshi recently thinking of upsizing from 210. When I had it in my hands, I stopped the idea of up sizing. It felt like twice the size of a gyuto of the same length without measuring weight.

A single bevel gyuto should be quite a fair bit thinner and lighter than a mioroshi deba. I handled a 240 Shig mioroshi recently thinking of upsizing from 210. When I had it in my hands, I stopped the idea of up sizing. It felt like twice the size of a gyuto of the same length without measuring weight.

You should try a 270 Shig Mioroshi. It's like waving a short sword around, unsurprisingly at 381g .... ;)

You should try a 270 Shig Mioroshi. It's like waving a short sword around, unsurprisingly at 381g .... ;)

I just picked up a 270 mioroshi and it weighs 322... Still feels a bit like a sword though ;)

One day if it comes near Sydney :doublethumbsup: For most fish that I buy, 180 deba and 210 mioroshi deba cover pretty well.

As it was a rainy day, I pivoted my collection spreadsheet and came up with some interesting Shigefusa stats. Disclaimer: these numbers only pertain to my knives and the sample size is (of course) too small. Prices per mm are in CHF and use today’s exchange rates from the different currencies used during acquisition.

So what does a Shigefusa knife cost per millimeter? I separated out different handle variations to get to more accurate numbers:
- A mm of Kasumi, D-handle knife costs on average 2.39 CHF
- A mm of Kasumi, Yo-handle knife costs on average 3.65 CHF

- A mm of Kitaeji, D-handle knife costs on average 3.53 CHF
- A mm of Kitaeji, Yo-Handle knife costs on average 6.17 CHF

The famous price ratio between between Kasumi/Kitaeji:
- Average: 1.64 (all knives together)
- Price ratio Kasumi/Kitaeji with D-Handle only: 1.51
- Price ratio Kasumi/Kitaeji with Yo-Handle only: 1.69

However, I am lucky enough to own both a Kasumi and Kitaeji version of a Yanagiba, Kakugata Usuba, Gyuto and Mioroshi. Normalized by mm price, the ratios between Kasumi and Kitaeji finishes of the four knives are:
- Gyuto: 2.26/1.8 (explained later on)
- Usuba: 1.46
- Mioroshi: 1.16*
- Yanagiba: 1.96

*The Kitaeji version was an exceptionally good price.

To explain the rather high ratio of 2.26 of the Gyutos, this number is skewed due to the two Yo- handles that were taken into account. If separated out, the ratio, based on the Kasumi price per mm as base line, are:
- Kasumi: 1
- Kitaeji D -handle 1.8
- Kitaeji Yo-Handle is: 2.93

Now, the question on every one’s mind, did prices increases? Based on two year data, the answer is yes:
- Kasumi: +17%
- Kitaeji: +13%

The R2 of the two data lines used to calculate these percentages was rather poor, though these lines can be helpful in determining a ‘fair’ price of a knife in relation to similar blades in terms of finish over time. The question is why a different between the two? I can only speculate.

Other interesting stats:

Does advertised length hold up; i.e is a 210mm length really a 210mm length? The answer is: variation exist, though on average this is 99.6% (100% being the actual advertised length.) The range is 93% to 106%.

If all the knives in my collection are averaged out to a 'Generic Shigefusa Knife', it will have the following characteristics:
- Weight: 191 gr
- Handle length: 131mm
- Handle width: 25.8mm
- Height at heel: 44.8mm
- Width at handle: 6.2
- Width above heel: 4.1mm
- Width at middle: 2.9
- Width 1cm from tip: 1.7
- Cross section 2cm from from edge: 2.2mm
- Cross section 1cm from from edge: 1.7mm
- Cross section 0.5cm from from edge: 1.0mm

So what does a Shigefusa knife cost per millimeter? I separated out different handle variations to get to more accurate numbers:
- A mm of Kasumi, D-handle knife costs on average 2.39 CHF
- A mm of Kasumi, Yo-handle knife costs on average 3.65 CHF

- A mm of Kitaeji, D-handle knife costs on average 3.53 CHF
- A mm of Kitaeji, Yo-Handle knife costs on average 6.17 CHF

The famous price ratio between between Kasumi/Kitaeji:
- Average: 1.64 (all knives together)
- Price ratio Kasumi/Kitaeji with D-Handle only: 1.51
- Price ratio Kasumi/Kitaeji with Yo-Handle only: 1.69

However, I am lucky enough to own both a Kasumi and Kitaeji version of a Yanagiba, Kakugata Usuba, Gyuto and Mioroshi. Normalized by mm price, the ratios between Kasumi and Kitaeji finishes of the four knives are:
- Gyuto: 2.26/1.8 (explained later on)
- Usuba: 1.46
- Mioroshi: 1.16*
- Yanagiba: 1.96

*The Kitaeji version was an exceptionally good price.

UNREAL STATS! How many shigs do you have exactly?

I'm a data analyst by profession and this was very soothing. Well done Zweber

Good suggestion, took out the Yo-handles from the numbers:

Double Bevel:
- Kasumi: 2.48
- Kitaeji: 3.36

Single Bevel:
- Kasumi: 2.31
- Kitaeji: 3.78

I can explain the higher price per mm for the double bevel kasumi (2.48) vs single bevel (2.31), as this includes a kasumi Chuka. Without this knife the price comes down to 2.11 per mm. Again, i think these numbers are a confirmation of what we all knew/felt anyway.

OK you lot. Blunt question: Are the kurouchi shigs the best or the worst idea (heard they are a tad thicker and stuff) to get if one wants the performance on a budget?

OK you lot. Blunt question: Are the kurouchi shigs the best or the worst idea (heard they are a tad thicker and stuff) to get if one wants the performance on a budget?

They are a good idea. Very nice grind and can be a little thicker/heavier than Kasumi equivalents. Be aware that Ku has a bit of drag compared to Kasumi, which you may or may not notice or like.

Get one to try. You have nothing to lose :)

This is my first and only shigefusa. 30cm yanagi that I bought years ago from Marko. I own several high-end yanagi and this shigefusa really blow me away fit their F&F and sharpness, their craftsmanship is truly amazing. I just wished their price isn't crazy like now because I need 24cm yanagi/fugubiki for my smaller sushi bar. Please let me know if any of you have that one that you're willing to go.
DSC08804_zpslehi75hg.jpg

DSC08805_zpsy7ipx0iw.jpg

Is that a giant muki or a setsuzuke of sorts? Stunning whatever it is

Is that a giant muki or a setsuzuke of sorts? Stunning whatever it is

My understanding is it is a 270mm kiritsuke. It definitely has more heel height than it looks.

Though whatever we call it, it definitely is unique.

Back