Shigefusa 180 Petty...would you buy this knife?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

copperJon

Reaction score
Finally won the email lottery after over a year, and I just received my new 180 shig petty from jns. I excitedly opened the box, and immediately got an ugly feeling in my gut. We pay considerable amounts of cash for these knives not only for their cutting performance, but also for that amazing f&f that they're known for. So I was saddened to see a deep gouge in the blade about 1cm from the stamp...
IMG_0196.jpgIMG_0197.jpg

I'm well aware that it's only cosmetic, and this isn't a display knife, but does something like this really warrant the price paid? This is not a bash on JNS, as Maksim responded promptly and offered me full refund, but I assume that would come at the pricey penalty of shipping back to him. What do you think? Would you just get over it?

soft cladding, life goes on. I know they are beautiful, but they are tools. Put a few more scratches on it and you'll get over it real quick. It's a huge relief when you stop babying your knives. Respect them, but put some less than desirable oxidation on them.

That soft cladding is certainly a weak spot for anyone that considers appearance right up there with performance. I've learned to live with the fact my Shigs are never going to impress guests with their looks.

Fair enough. I'd feel a lot happier if I caused the gouge, but UPS wants over$100 to ship it, so I guess I'll deal with it regardless...

Thank for letting me vent 😀

You won't even be able to see it after a couple weeks worth of orange fuzz :lol2:
Nah she'll be great, enjoy and if it still bugs you in the future you won't have much trouble selling it here.

Fair enough. I'd feel a lot happier if I caused the gouge, but UPS wants over$100 to ship it, so I guess I'll deal with it regardless...

Thank for letting me vent 😀
best price shipping would be usps, that said, keep the knife, cut ****, do your own damage and then refinish it...green scrubbie matches Shig finish very closely

I have seen this same gouging near the kanji on at least a few Shigefusas. You will barely notice it later and I like to think it is part of the character of the knife =)

I have to agree with that. Shig's outer layer of soft cladding tends to turn orange before you make the second slice through a tomato! But it is still one of the knives I use the most.

no offense... grow up dude. its a knife, its going to get dinged up unless you plan on keeping it in a drawer for the rest of your life, which would be a shame.

they're knives, they're handmade. What did you expect, they're going to regrind the whole damn knife because they gouged the face out? NO

no offense... grow up dude. its a knife, its going to get dinged up unless you plan on keeping it in a drawer for the rest of your life, which would be a shame.

That's the reason you don't keep them in the drawer, they bang into each other and then don't look so pretty;)

Oh good idea, I'll grow up! The lady has been telling me that for years. 😀

Actually, if it were me, I'd be pissed at myself for screwing up at the finishing stage, and not offer that particular item at full price. Or I'd make it known that there was a significant blemish on the blade prior to sale. This is a pretty common practice in the world of commerce. We are actually in the process of remodeling our new house, and are outfitting it with top end appliances. We snagged a built in refrigerator at significant discount because there was a scratch on the SIDE of the refrigerator, which won't even be visible. Not the same as a handmade knife made by the man, I know, but it seems a valid point, at least to me.

Salmon bowls for dinner tonight... Let's see if I can't get me some sexy blues on that blade.

Salmon is great for blue patina! I've also been told by some people that carrot helps set a even base patina though I'm not sure myself if that is true.

I'm disappointed how inconsiderate some forum members are. Nobody needs to make insulting comments, it's unkind shows a lack of empathy and compassion, and creates and unwelcoming environment. Perhaps that's why so many previously active members are no longer active. I for one, appreciate that it is disappointing to receive an item that has a flaw. If you cannot, just keep your comments to yourself.

Carrot would be great for setting a patina on a shig... if you're making cracked carrots.
There's every chance you're going to have to thin it at some stage. In which case... goodbye finish unless you're going to make the significant investment in time and abrasives its going to take to learn the voodoo of kasumi refinishing

I'm disappointed how inconsiderate some forum members are. Nobody needs to make insulting comments, it's unkind shows a lack of empathy and compassion, and creates and unwelcoming environment. Perhaps that's why so many previously active members are no longer active. I for one, appreciate that it is disappointing to receive an item that has a flaw. If you cannot, just keep your comments to yourself.
+1

I have a similar thing on a 150 Shigefusa petty, but more towards the emoto.

I too was peeved by it when it first arrived, but after having it for a while, I actually quite like the little scar.

I've seen some Kasumi shigs with kanji that is inconsistent and partially missing, but not a gouge.

I've had two knives made by an abs mastersmith with some issues. One was some pitting in SS cladding which looked like deep sandblasting marks or something. Since this was cosmetic and would eventually go away with use I let it slide, although at <$850 I'd like to expect a bit more or at least acknowledgment of this consider in the series is called "high grade". The second one was not just a cosmetic issue and involved an odd grind where one side of the knife was pretty much dead flat and as a result the choil shot looked lopsided. I was able to return it but it didn't go over well.

As for the shig, since its cosmetic and should eventually go away with use and thinning I wouldn't worry about it unless it's a trophy piece, and in that case you shoulda got a Kitaeji ;). You could always put it on BST instead of sending it back as I'm sure it'd go in good time and you probably wouldn't be out anything given the demand

Well I put it to good use... Garlic, salmon, carrots. Even buried it in salmon skins while we ate, and I got no reactivity whatsoever... bowls were tasty though.
IMG_0199.jpgIMG_0198.jpg

Well I put it to good use... Garlic, salmon, carrots. Even buried it in salmon skins while we ate, and I got no reactivity whatsoever... bowls were tasty though.
View attachment 33243View attachment 33242

Those bowls looks delicious!

Wonder if Shigefusa is using a different batch of soft iron cladding now.

Was there a chance there was a film on the blade before? (Never heard of that before on Shigs but we have seen it in other knives)

It had a serious coat of oil that I washed off. Maksim had it lathered up nicely. I've got some elk thawing in the fridge, I'll give that a try tomorrow.

Sorry but that's crap work. Should be sold as a second. Just my opinion. You got hosed, send it back.

There's a thread somewhere around here where Maksim shut down the coating theory. There was no rainbow lacquer, just good ol camelia oil.

Back