Shigefusa 240 Passaround

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Truly amazing. My expectations were high enough that I was afraid I'd be disappointed in the Shigs performance...no worries there.

Despite being a bit heavier than my DT (222g. vs 210g.) and being more blade heavy than Hoss' knife, I found the Shig to be extraordinarily nimble. Don't know quite how to put it into words, but this knife required no effort to make it do what I wanted it to do. No real "learning curve" required in getting used to it. As jgraeff put it, it was like the knife was part of my hand. Very slightly more inclined to wedge than the thinner DT, but nothing onerous. Takes a wicked edge and holds it quite well. Easy to touch up on a strop.

My first experience with a D shaped handle, and I rather liked it. The (presumably) ho wood handle had a somewhat rough texture, similar to perhaps 320 grit sandpaper, which kept it from being slippery when wet.

During the first day or two of use, I noticed the somewhat unpleasant odor others have spoken of when using Shigafusas, but after cutting a fair amount of acetic, vinegary foods, it seemed to disappear. Presumably the patina had built to the point where it prevented whatever reaction had been taking place. I used the knife fairly heavily and found it a real pleasure to work with.

In summary, WOW! I covet this knife.

Thank you, Ben, for a marvelous experience.

Thanks David, love the profile picture. Just wondering, does anybody have a pic of a 240 Shigefusa and a Watanabe next to each other? I keep thinking that theirs are my favorite profiles, but don't think I have ever seen a direct comparison.

Stefan

Here they are, Stefan, the Watanabe with one of your handles and a western kasumi 240 Shig with custom handle by Adam Marr.

My first post in a long time since I was hit hard by the hurricane three weeks ago. Car was a total loss, no electricity or heat or water for two weeks, and still no gas to cook the stuff we like to cut with you-know-what. Just climbing out of it now!

IMG_2733.jpg

IMG_2734.jpg

I'm next. If you hear about Colorado running out of veggies you know why.:spin chair::jumping::yatta::excited::dancecool::cool:

Had this for a week and was it nice. Had no problems cutting anything at all. I noticed that there is a slight concave grind which I loved. Very much matched my Mizuno in about every aspect except length and thickness. I honestly had a tough time saying which I liked better. Going back and forth I would notice what ever slight difference there was. The Shig. tho would react to onions. Also being taller then the Mizuno ended up being noticeable when switching back and forth.

I had Korin's Mizuyama double sided stone and used it on the Shig to see about sharpening, even tho. it wasn't needed at all. The 1k side went nice and the 6k was not a problem at all, even enjoyable to use. I also had the 30k shapton that is being passed around, which I used on the Shig. Giving a nice and crisp edge that I used for a day and decided to not use again, to see how the next person in line (which happens to be Spike) would like it.

After a couple of days of figuring who got the knife next, and sending out 2 other passarounds I finally shipped it out today to Spike. I would have sent this out yesterday but I missed getting to the post office by 10 min.

All in all I loved the knife. I can see why there is a great following behind them. The f&f is what you would expect with a knife at this level. The edge retention is very long making it in my book worth the price. I really couldn't say what knife I was liking better between the Shig. and the Miz. Just because of the reactivity on the Shig. would be the one thing keeping it on a lower score to the Miz., but not much. One thing is for sure It will be missed.

Anyone else get this? Its been about a mo. since I had it. Bueler? Bueler?

I got it from Spike a little over a week ago. Gonna send it in Ben's direction, unless there's somebody else after me that I'm not aware of?

The list that I had showed it going to the Brainster next, so I don't know what happened to you!

Brainy, could you please contact GlassEye and see if he wants a go at it? Alternatively, if you send it to me I can get it to him if he is interested

Brainy, could you please contact GlassEye and see if he wants a go at it? Alternatively, if you send it to me I can get it to him if he is interested

I would still like to try the Shige, whatever works best for everyone else is what you should do.

After a week delay selling off lesser knives, here's the starting lineup for the great Shigefusa Passaround:

AndrewH
WildBoar
chinacats
Chifunda
jgraeff
Crothcipt
kalaeb
JohnyChai
SpikeC
Brainsausage
JMJones

Back home

Cutty Sark
ecchef
My bad when spike asked who it went to next I looked at this list. I didn't remember there being a new list later on. Also Kalaeb and JohnyChai dropped out.

If you don't mind Ben, I'd rather send it to you. I still have the Kochi as well and it would be a little more convenient from my end.

Although, come to think of it- JMJones is practically my neighbor...

Let me know what you want to do. I'm cool either way.

Send the Shig to JMJones. I will settle with GlassEye later.

a bit heavier than my DT (222g. vs 210g.)

whats thicknes of this Gyuto ?

my Shige gyuto weighs 180g

What does a 240 Shigefusa gyuto cost, if you can get hold of one? japanesenaturalstones.com doesn't list prices as far as I could see, and aframestokyo.com lists prices that are lower than what you seem to imply?

There is a used 270mm gyuto available in the B/S/T right now.

I have used the Shig for the past week as a home cook and have really enjoyed it. It has already been established that it cuts well and I totally concur. One thing that stood out for me was the tang area above the choil and where the tang meets the handle. On this knife, that spot is very thick but quickly tapers to a “normal” thickness above where the edge starts. I have never seen this before and was pondering why it was made like this. I assumed that it had to do with the balance or some such. However while using it I realized that this thicker section was much more comfortable for my index or middle finger(depending on the grip). In addition to the thickness it was well rounded and there is a radius where the blade meets the tang, it is not an abrupt angle. Very subtle but important design features that add to the overall product.

Also does anyone know what type of steel the cladding is?

Back