Shigefusa Cleaver

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I temper in the kitchen oven, but after buying an oven thermometer that did not jive with the oven settings I started using a pyrometer with a K thermocouple to monitor the temperature. Now I can fine tune the oven to get an accurate temper cycle. I'm still grinding the latest blade with the cycle that Hoss recommended so I don't have results quite yet. I had my BMW motorcycle fall over when parking and it pinned my previously broken foot under the cylinder head so I'm a little slow right now........

I temper in the kitchen oven, but after buying an oven thermometer that did not jive with the oven settings I started using a pyrometer with a K thermocouple to monitor the temperature. Now I can fine tune the oven to get an accurate temper cycle. I'm still grinding the latest blade with the cycle that Hoss recommended so I don't have results quite yet. I had my BMW motorcycle fall over when parking and it pinned my previously broken foot under the cylinder head so I'm a little slow right now........

And how's your finger?

The finger is doing quite well, thanks! The nail is all the way across and over half way back to length. The nerves continue the slow growth back as well!

Geez Spike you are falling apart! What did you do to your finger?

Touched a tablesaw blade while making a knife handle. Won't do THAT again!

Thanks, Adam, it is healing up nicely, I can even type with it now!

Geez humpty dumpty.

I have to know, does tempering in a regular oven put off fumes of any kind? Is this an activity that can safely be done without a respirator(because home ovens have vents, you see).

There shouldn't be any fumes. Sad thing is you can only temper the hardness down and not up.

+1
SERIOUSLY!!! How the heck did I forget about this post! Thanks for poking the potato Johhny.

Also, where did you order this from? Who is this "So" guy?

I believe "So" refers to So Yamashita, the proprietor of Japan-tool.com

I completely missed the date on that first post... It's even more frustrating that there's no performance review, and no potential pass around.

Back