Shigefusa kiteaji vs Hinoura River jump

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yep, he generally makes natas (japanese hunting knives) under his family's brand Ajigataya. Hinoura is his own brand

Having never used a hinoura, I will say, for knives as thick as these, those look like some shallow bevels. I can easily see how these could be prone to wedging. If I'm not mistaken, hinoura is known for making outdoor knives. His bevels look similar in depth to Heijis who

A friend told me he spends a day and a half sharpening/finishing a single knife. For a master craftsman that's easily near $1000 just in labor. They're heirloom pieces that exhibit the best of his capabilities after decades of work and research. I honestly would never actually use one if I had it.
Why are Hinoura's River Jump's so incredibly expensive? I mean, such a leap above almost all others

Damn you got to my blubber blabber before it cold be erased for all eternity. The half baked thought here was that he's maybe a tool maker at heart, like Heiji.
yep, he generally makes natas (japanese hunting knives) under his family's brand Ajigataya. Hinoura is his own brand

It's a 'torsion damascus' process Hinoura san uses in his River Jump line - which is unusual. Is it unique to him?

His son, Mutsumi-san, is making some nice looking knives too - at a much more 'useable' price as well

Has anyone tried these?

TheDispossessed said:
Having never used a hinoura, I will say, for knives as thick as these, those look like some shallow bevels. I can easily see how these could be prone to wedging. If I'm not mistaken, hinoura is known for making outdoor knives. His bevels look similar in depth to Heijis who

I have heard his son's knives (below) are the same

hinoura180gyuto.jpg

I have a few Kitaeji Shigs and 1 River Jump Gyuto. Brainsausage summed up my opinion...the answer is based upon the owner's priority: use vs aesthetic.

As a home cook I feel I can only speak credibly to the latter.

The Hinoura blade is captivating to the eye. It has been said already that Hinoura is adept at melding natural form with his own mastery of the art. The visual transition from spine to edge take me from rough natural appearance to mirror polished refinement. It is striking and bold, a bigger statement in my opinion than the Shigefusa.
Where Shigefusa impresses me visually is in the subtle consistency of layering. There is a pattern in the number and spacing of the metal layers that quietly speaks to profound consistency of technique.

I'm glad I have my River Jump...it is an experience to own. I'm Nakiri hunting now.

Back