Shigfusa sickness...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would have to say my Shig gyuto rusts easier than many other carbon knives I own. I'm guessing it has something to do with the softer outer layer of steel on the blade. Really hard keeping the orange/red streaks off this one.

My gyuto is probably the most reactive knife I own. BUT...when I come in from a day of yardwork with aching arthritic hands and wrists, and the thought of chopping carrots or potatoes for dinner makes me want to sit down and cry, I pull out the Shig. For ease of going through things, it is the best knife I own. Almost every other knife in the drawer can be uncomfortable or even painful to use on days like that. With the Shig, there is no pain at all. Not a twinge. For that I'll put up with any other flaw, real or imagined, you can come up with.

My knives are influenced by Shigefusa - geometry, finish and attention to detail, and DT - steels, heat treatment, production process.

I consider these two being some of greatest at their craft in US and Japan.

I am biased, of course, but I have enough insight in both to make this claim. Both understand what it takes to make a well rounded knife (geometry, profile, steel, heat treatment, fit and finish, DT handle ergonomics, etc) that performs - something many makers in US seem to miss. I am not not singling out anybody, just speaking in general terms.

I came to this conclusion a long time ago and I am yet to change my mind on this, but my criteria might be very different than other people's, so take my word with a grain of salt.

M

I was thinking that maybe we need to start a sub forum for people that own shigefusa knives?

I don't own one and because I so tired of seeing others spank themselves with them on the forum, I don't want one either.

Wonderful that they are ground well, uber steel yada yada yada. I'm just saying not everyone shares this passion to go home each night and make love to them. Just saying that perhaps you should consolidate your reverence into one forum.

Am I the only one that feels this way?

Lol when I first started on the forum I thought the same thing. Then I was in the Pitonboy's passaround, I can see the attraction. It was nice to use, and very comfortable in the hand, for being as heavy as it was.

No crying here. There is no crying in KKF.:chin: Well maybe if you lob off a finger by your shig I can see that.:tease:

I would have to say my Shig gyuto rusts easier than many other carbon knives I own. I'm guessing it has something to do with the softer outer layer of steel on the blade. Really hard keeping the orange/red streaks off this one.

But, as someone just said, it's probably the same cladding steel used by other makers.

Shig use same carbon cladding iron as all other blacksmiths. :D

This is funny thread Dennis ;)

I might say one thing, while I am a little disgusted with all that bragging, I want to tell you one thing. However you look at shig, it will do the job.

I did some cuts with DT ITK 24cm however, and it was by faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar the worst knife I have ever used or held. The tip or like front 4 cm were made out of rubber and balance was terrible. Sharpened up OK but there was no performance. Every carrot slice was a battle, especially after the half way down mark
My point is, people really like Shig cause of the consistent deliveries of quality product. When I read that DT ITK is sooooooooooooooooo delightful and I know from experience it is not [and I held a brand new knife] THAT is what hits me hard.

As always, good to hear from you Mike! I haven't seen your "my gastronomy" posts lately. I have found great cooking inspration in them. I think you said you were changing jobs right? You had to buy a car too correct?

Sorry KFFers, I hyjacked my own post. ;)

This is funny thread Dennis ;)

I might say one thing, while I am a little disgusted with all that bragging, I want to tell you one thing. However you look at shig, it will do the job.

I did some cuts with DT ITK 24cm however, and it was by faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar the worst knife I have ever used or held. The tip or like front 4 cm were made out of rubber and balance was terrible. Sharpened up OK but there was no performance. Every carrot slice was a battle, especially after the half way down mark
My point is, people really like Shig cause of the consistent deliveries of quality product. When I read that DT ITK is sooooooooooooooooo delightful and I know from experience it is not [and I held a brand new knife] THAT is what hits me hard.

Sorry for the bad experience, not every knife I've made has been a home run.

Hoss

i find it hard to believe at DT ITK is the worst knife you've ever used, let alone one so bad it elicited that many extra letters. the DT ITK i've used was about the nicest stainless knife i've used.

Well, to get back on track somewhat, I do own two Shigefusa's, and must admit to really liking them.
They perform as good as I would expect a proper Japanese hand-made knife to do.
I have others that in my opinion are a match to them, one might even surpass them, but all in all, pretty darn good tools in my book.

And no, there is no spanking of anyone with a Shigefusa around here.
Too kinky for me, that is.

I did some cuts with DT ITK 24cm however, and it was by faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar the worst knife I have ever used or held.

side-eye-what-you-talking-about-willis1.jpg

What you talkin about, Willis?

I was pretty sure then as I still am today there aren't any knives for me that are any better than one of DT's handcrafted knives.

I agree with you. I am partial to DT's knives.
IMG_2013.jpg

As always, good to hear from you Mike! I haven't seen your "my gastronomy" posts lately. I have found great cooking inspration in them. I think you said you were changing jobs right? You had to buy a car too correct?

Sorry KFFers, I hyjacked my own post. ;)

Dude still the same job but yeah had to move out further down the road so have to have a ride.
And all the costs of it, unfortunately

Funny how life comes around full circle sometimes but I wanted to point out my naivety some three years ago.

Times have changed and many in this thread have moved on, some have even passed, but just wanted to tell ya I just bought my first 215 Shigfusa Kasumi Gyuto. It hasn't arrived yet. Now I've got to figure out what to sell, sometimes that hurts more than the cost of a new knife.

Some great people giving great advise in this thread.

Anybody got an old CROW around.

I don't wanna dig up dirt- but is this the thread that exploded over night into a mudslinging match between Devin and Bienek, and prompted Devin to call me the next day regarding my association with Bienek( the call was very amicable btw, and completely understandable on Devin's part).
I've always wondered which thread it was, cuz I missed all the fireworks due to some posts being taken down by the mods the following day (which I fully understand btw).

I remember this thread...and not taking any sides but I miss Bienek around here.

Same. On both accounts. He was a very down to earth straight forward guy, with an acerbic wit. He was the first member on the forum that I became friends with, and offered me a lot of useful advice both in terms of knives and food, as well as restaurant work in general.

Back