Shopping again!!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lefty:
A pierre would be way over my budget. Haha. Prolly in another 2 or 3 years.
Shipping for knives is prolly around the 25~30 USD mark lol.
Could you link directly to the picture? Can't access it unless I'm a member there and for some reason, my e-mail is banned over there so I can't register -_-"
Wouldn't mind getting pen tiger in here too haha. More opinions are always welcome, especially for some1 as inexperience as me :)

Snips:
Thanks for the encouragement :) appreciate it. Prolly would get myself the arashimaya or however you spell it.
Yeah the aesthetics are not the priority for me cos they'r gonna get some scratches on them sooner or later lol. Performance over looks for me. But just wondering if I'm doing something wrong somewhere haha.

Caddy:
Yeah edge retention is kinda at the top of the list of any knife I'll be buying cos they'r gonna be seeing heavy use. What angles do you use to sharpen your CN? Just like to know how low it can go before the edge starts 'breaking off'. And it's not gonna be a multi tasker. It's gonna sit on a board a slice up pork loins and steaks for presentation.

Here's the pic! :)
Thanks James and Jon!
05417977.jpg

Nice!! I prefer a straighter blade profile on my suji tho, something more in line with the sujis that marko got from yoshikane. Maybe its just that I'm more used to it that way haha. Is the profile of the CN and Fuji like the one above?

Caddy:
What angles do you use to sharpen your CN? Just like to know how low it can go before the edge starts 'breaking off'. And it's not gonna be a multi tasker. It's gonna sit on a board a slice up pork loins and steaks for presentation.

I can only estimate angles, so maybe it is better to tell you approximately how far the spine is from the stones. I would estimate my CN gyuto to have about 10-ish degrees per side with a 80/20 assym (spine is about 3-4mm off the stone). My gyuto has held up really well on my end grain boards without any type of issues...so I imagine you would be even better off if only using suji for slicing.

I hate to drag another person into this, but I have a feeling Pen Tiger would have some useful input.
Another option might be to contact jon and ask about the kanemasa sujis. A member at my other favorite forum just got one and it looks SWEET!
Oh wait, you're in Singapore, right? I'm not sure what shipping would be like....

It's hard not to say to go for the CarboNext. All the advantages of carbon, without the need for obsessive care.

I can only estimate angles, so maybe it is better to tell you approximately how far the spine is from the stones. I would estimate my CN gyuto to have about 10-ish degrees per side with a 80/20 assym (spine is about 3-4mm off the stone). My gyuto has held up really well on my end grain boards without any type of issues...so I imagine you would be even better off if only using suji for slicing.

Thanks :)That gives me a general idea. We don't use end grain boards unfortunately.. We have gotta use colour coded plastic boards. Is there a thread on assimytric bevels here somewhere? I would like to know basically what it means and how to maintain it while sharpening lol.

Asymmetry is tough to explain.
I had a conversation about it a few days ago with a pretty smart dude, and it depends on whether or not the knife is ground asymmetrically, or if the edge is maintained asymmetrically.
Basically, the advantage is the sliced portion pushes away from the other portion of what you are slicing and it allows for a 'straighter' cut. You can get a more acute angle with less chance of chipping because there is more material directly behind the edge itself.
To make it simple...for maintainence purposes, if you have an asymmetrical bevel, sharpen the knife basically the same as always, by following the current angle (on each side). Make sure you raise a burr, flip the knife and do the same o the other side. Repeat as normal. Deburr as normal.
In theory, your edge shoulders will move up at the same rate as one another, if you are sharpening properly.
In other words, don't sweat asymmetry too much. :)

Ahh. That's a great thing to hear haha. Man I was looking around and saw that Marko had these great looking sujis from yoshikane that he's gonna be selling haha. REALLY tempted to wait for those..

What size gyuto did you get? A 240, right?
If so, wait it out. You can slice effectively enough with it, until you find the right suji.
That's what I'm doing!

What size gyuto did you get? A 240, right?
If so, wait it out. You can slice effectively enough with it, until you find the right suji.
That's what I'm doing!

Yeah a 240 alright. A little on the longish side for my use at home: I have a seriously small kitchen which equals small work space lol.
Maybe I'll just try looking for a nice 210 gyuto to use at home haha. Ne1 has a used one to sell?

Did you see the ones Marko posted on his sub-forum thread? they look NICE haha. waiting on the prices.

You'll never get mine! I love that knife! :D
If it is seriously tight, a 180 petty would be nice! Yes, I am the devil! Haha

In other words, don't sweat asymmetry too much. :)

This, this...this.

I don't strive for any type of specific asymmetry when sharpening, it's just a result of the natural grind...just start sharpening until you get a burr, then flip over and do again.

Haha. Prolly looking for a really nice one cos home use=more TLC. A 180 petty is a little on the short side tho I can't wrap my head around that lol. Maybe get a good parer too haha.

Back