Should I call this a "quarter-integral" bolster ? :)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SylvainM

KKF Supporting Craftsman
Reaction score
And yet another cool project coming to an end with this fancy gyuto ! šŸ¤©
This one I built for fun. I initially went for an integral bolster, then during polishing realized there was a welding default in the bolster. I was annoyed to completely remove the bolster and go back to a standard handle so I tried to find something different to do with what was usable of the bolster. Here it is then and I'm pretty happy with the result, but I'm happy to know what you guys think about it šŸ§

Here are the specs :
- Blade is 235mm long for 200mm cutting edge, 46mm tall at heel and 3mm thick (tapering to the tip)
- Homeforged wild damascus, 90 layers of 90MCV8 and 15N20
- Handle is bog oak, sourced in UK, dated 5000 years old

And here are the pics:

1_IG.jpg

2_IG.jpg

3_IG.jpg

4_IG.jpg

I don't know what to call it, but it looks super cool and unique. Nice job! Reminds me of the key notch method of felling trees. Maybe call it key notch key bolster?

Ah ah that's an option indeed ! Thanks for the suggestion ;)
This one was quite a heck to do as it wasn't planned but I may do some others on purpose then... Good ideas often come from accidents after all :cool:

Box joint bolster?
In wood, that's a box joint (aka a finger joint).
Looks beautiful whatever the name is :)

Really beautiful. I would worry a little about the inevitable expansion and shrinkage of the wood, no? Maybe use artificual materials like faux ivory, micarta etc.?
That's true, it may be although always difficult to foresee šŸ¤”

Indeed, I would also be super wary of that with "fresh" woods. I assume the resin filled / stabilized woods would be fine though. Or 5000 YO anything will have little movement left in it.

That said, it's a sweet look.

Did you jig or hand grind/sand to get it evenly across the wood & steel?

And yet another cool project coming to an end with this fancy gyuto ! šŸ¤©
This one I built for fun. I initially went for an integral bolster, then during polishing realized there was a welding default in the bolster. I was annoyed to completely remove the bolster and go back to a standard handle so I tried to find something different to do with what was usable of the bolster. Here it is then and I'm pretty happy with the result, but I'm happy to know what you guys think about it šŸ§

Here are the specs :
- Blade is 235mm long for 200mm cutting edge, 46mm tall at heel and 3mm thick (tapering to the tip)
- Homeforged wild damascus, 90 layers of 90MCV8 and 15N20
- Handle is bog oak, sourced in UK, dated 5000 years old

And here are the pics:

View attachment 304383

View attachment 304384

View attachment 304385

View attachment 304386
In woodworking joinery terms this would be a ā€œBridal Jointā€, normally the pieces would be at 90Ā° to each other, but that isnā€™t a defining characteristic. If a full width mortise is cut in the end of one board, and a full width tenon is cut in the end of another, and they are joined together, that is a bridal joint, which is what you have here. An incredibly beautiful bridal joint I may add. šŸ˜˜

Indeed, I would also be super wary of that with "fresh" woods. I assume the resin filled / stabilized woods would be fine though. Or 5000 YO anything will have little movement left in it.

That said, it's a sweet look.

Did you jig or hand grind/sand to get it evenly across the wood & steel?
Well it will also depend how the future owner takes care of it I may add šŸ˜¬
I actually shaped the Damascus bolster, then adjusted the wood part to fit in, glued, and finally ground the wood part to fit. Then I revealed the Damascus pattern once everything was fitted.

Back