Should I get a Chinese Cleaver?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats on the new knife, hopefully you bought the only one so as to remove any temptation I may have towards buying another :whistling: If you're anything like me, you'll be hooked and pondering which cleaver to get next.

Cheers,
Josh

Congratulations!

Glad to hear the new knife is working out. Cocobolo is such a great looking wood for handles.

If you haven't sharpened the cleaver yet, your in for a treat. It really performs after a good sharpening.

Enjoy the new knife,

Jay

Congratulations and enjoy the cleaver!!

As me, you already know that a cleaver and a petty is all what you need in a kitchen (well, maybe you will end up with any other cleaver as well but you get the idea :lol2:)

Regards

Congratulations and enjoy the cleaver!!

As me, you already know that a cleaver and a petty is all what you need in a kitchen (well, maybe you will end up with any other cleaver as well but you get the idea :lol2:)

Regards

+1, one of the detriments to a good cleaver is that ends up making you feel silly for having a whole bag of knives! I have been intrigued with the Hattoris, I am interested in a review vis-a'-vis ease of sharpening and edge retention. Be careful when switching back to a french knife, it is easy to shave a knuckle.

Hax the Cook CLEAVERS RULE!!! :D ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. CTRL+F5 reloads the whole page.

i just bought a cleaver, a Shibazi from tastepadthai.com. it was listed as a carbon steel cleaver, but ended up being stainless (when i inquired, they admitted the listing was wrong, and offered to refund me half the money if i wanted to keep it: i kept it and thanked them for the offer, but declined the refund). i'd never owned one. over all, it has a nice grind, with just one small hole in the edge, which was easily fixed on a chosera 1k. chosera 1k followed by shapton glass 4k followed by a strop quickly gave it a shaving edge. the steel feels very similar to Victorinox fibrox steel, and i sharpened it the same way i sharpen one of those. man, cleavers are awesome for mincing garlic! an usuba had been my mincer of choice, but this is another thing entirely! much better f&f than i was expecting, too. i'm really very happy with it.

See previous post.

Hax the Cook CLEAVERS RULE!!! :D ...

See previous post.

Hax the Cook CLEAVERS RULE!!! :D ...

good advice, thanks! i've discovered the knuckle shaving after going from my tall Takeda to other knives (including my short Takeda), and i'm sure it's even more of an issue with a big cleaver!

Yeah, I even get it going from my Marr gyuto, to my Carter suji, or Misono 210 gyuto. Cleaver to gyuto sounds dangerous!

Back