Should I trade in my knife? Shun Kaji or something more like the Moritaka?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brad, the fit and finish of the Kumagoro is not quite up to that of the Yoshikane, or at least that's the way it was three years ago when I briefly had a Kumagoro. It may have change in that time.

The core steel in the Kumagoro is Takefu V2, which is an excellent steel, but the SKD tool steel in the Yoshikane hammered is just a tad better in terms of edge holding. (BTW, Takefu V2 is the core steel in the soft iron clad Kochi.)

As you will be using it in a home environment, the differences are pretty much academic, as you'll likely not dice forty pounds of onions at one time.

Either knife will suit your needs well, but since you seem to be leaning toward the Kumagoru, I say go for it. Keep in mind that there's always the B/S/T sub forum, in case you decide to sell it and move to another knife.

Rick

Brad, the fit and finish of the Kumagoro is not quite up to that of the Yoshikane, or at least that's the way it was three years ago when I briefly had a Kumagoro. It may have change in that time.

The core steel in the Kumagoro is Takefu V2, which is an excellent steel, but the SKD tool steel in the Yoshikane hammered is just a tad better in terms of edge holding. (BTW, Takefu V2 is the core steel in the soft iron clad Kochi.)

As you will be using it in a home environment, the differences are pretty much academic, as you'll likely not dice forty pounds of onions at one time.

Either knife will suit your needs well, but since you seem to be leaning toward the Kumagoru, I say go for it. Keep in mind that there's always the B/S/T sub forum, in case you decide to sell it and move to another knife.

Rick

You hit it right on the head about it being academic and not really practical use type of decision. It is why I am willing to go with a bit better Fit and Finish, but still something old school with some soul. This is why the Shun isnt overly appealing to me. After looking over the kumagoro, the kochi isn't quite the same on looks, except for the handle. I am thinking of a rehandle when I get this sharpened in about a year anyways. Not to mention the Kochi is sold out in 240mm.

I imagine the yoshikane requires a bit less work on keeping it rust free though, which is something that is making me consider both options. Already scouted for camelia oil though.

Still need to find out more information on the Takumi Ikeda 240mm. It seems like a really solid knife in terms of steel and cost.

-Brad

Don't get hung up on steel type, or fall for steel hype. There is a disturbing trend in some quarters to tirelessly search for the next unobtainium superhypermegasteel (after all, it means more sales as some people/suckers have to have the latest and greatest, be it knives or otherwise) and tend to like things they can categorise, like percentage of element X,Y,Z, Rockwell hardness etc.

Fact is there are a slew of good cutlery steels out there, and hyperbole is rife. Having steel A,B or C doesn't matter a jot if the geometry of the knife is subpar - it'll still cut like crap.

Don't get hung up on steel type, or fall for steel hype. There is a disturbing trend in some quarters to tirelessly search for the next unobtainium superhypermegasteel (after all, it means more sales as some people/suckers have to have the latest and greatest, be it knives or otherwise) and tend to like things they can categorise, like percentage of element X,Y,Z, Rockwell hardness etc.

Fact is there are a slew of good cutlery steels out there, and hyperbole is rife. Having steel A,B or C doesn't matter a jot if the geometry of the knife is subpar - it'll still cut like crap.

What he said.

It is easy to get caught up in steel types, Rockwell hardness, carbides etc.... What matters is the knife makers ability to work with the steel. It can be frustrating learning about different makers. You will find posts with positive and negative reviews about the same maker. There are also forum trends. All it takes is a well known user to gush about the performance of a knife to start a trend.

To help make a decision get in contact with the vendors. Jon and Maxsim are knife enthusiasts, who know what high end knife users want. Epicurean Edge and Korin have been in the business a long time, and will assist buyers in making a good decision.

The Buy/Sell/Trade forum is a good way to try out a variety of knifes at a good price.

Jay

Finally going to send out some emails to the major shops and get their opinion and best options for my price range and interest.
Thanks everyone for your input thus far, I will be sure to report what knife I end up with.

Slightly OT, but the eyes were playing tricks on me when I opened the forum. I caught the title out of the corner of my eye as I scanned across it. For a sec, I thought this thread was "Should I trade in my wife?"

Thankfully, figuring out whether to get a new knife is typically much easier. The answer is almost always, "Yes!" That said, it's very easy to get bogged down in the minutae of different knives, steels, etc. Get some sound advice and then go with your gut. I don't think you'll be unhappy with any of the narrowed choices you've mentioned.

Back