Show us your sticks (finished handle projects)...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. It tapers from 15-17 mm. Should have removed 5mm. From the length of the handle. It’s about 140 mm. and it could be a bit more suitable being 135 instead. But it moved the balance spot on, on the makers mark

Given my rather challenging work schedule and doing knife work for a lot of friends, I havent been able to work on my own knives recently, but here is a handle I did for a Tsubaya white#1 (TF) 270. Same handle wabi sabi as Fujiwara branded western. It is curly maple with white, red and black g10 liners. Once it was finished, I sent it out to District for a TF tune-up.

20240409_102329.jpg
20240409_102421.jpg

I got a franken-handle finished. This was to gin up a Hinokuni. I ran into some problems and had to replace some materials but it turned out ok. This was my best tang hole.

Attachments

• 20240430_105123.jpg
    20240430_105123.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240430_105129.jpg
    20240430_105129.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240430_105141.jpg
    20240430_105141.jpg
    701.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240430_105150.jpg
    20240430_105150.jpg
    874 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240430_105156.jpg
    20240430_105156.jpg
    943.8 KB · Views: 0
Ok, first time doing the dowel method. I made a ton of mistakes, which was great for learning. My ferrule popped off right as I was mounting it. It was at the glued g-10 and wood. I kept having problems with the Titebond sticking to the G10. Going to use epoxy next time. I did my beat to stick the landing after that mishap, I got epoxy everywhere and had to resand the handle but it looks ok, but the tang hole is a little messy.

Oh, Nakagawa ginsan 240
Nice first try and those materials are gorgeous!!!!!

I got a franken-handle finished. This was to gin up a Hinokuni. I ran into some problems and had to replace some materials but it turned out ok. This was my best tang hole.
I forgot to note that this is on a hinokuni white 1 jumbo santoku. The blade by itself weighs a whopping 230 plus grams and the package comes in all together at 303 g. This is something that I've had up for sale many times so I figured I would use it as a project knife and make it more appealing for later on. It seems to be a pretty underrated blade because of the lack of quality control at that Forge but this was one of the good ones. It was frustrating when I broke that wood because this was turning out to be one of my better handles but it still turned out pretty good and it feels really good in hand. It moved the balance back on the blade, and while it is still pretty blade-forward it gives that big blade some more agility than it had before.

Um, that's either a lot of handles or some big ones.

Reminds me of a neighbor I once had. He had converted a small barn into a workshop with three stage power. He had a band saw with a 36 inch wheel. He had three stage power and hey ubiquitous pressurized air system running throughout. He had been a woodworker for 40 years and had collected wood that long also and it had all been seasoned and waiting to be used. He was begging people to use it because he knew he never would before he passed away. I kicked myself for never taking him up on the offer as I moved away.

Could have been some interesting barn finds for sure.

If it came of, as the last picture was from my workshop, I apologise. Was from the local shop.

Bog oak and white horn I made for this 210 Shinkiro (not my knife)
Every handle I make is made from ground up in my small shed 👍

Attachments

• IMG_0322.jpeg
    IMG_0322.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0328.jpeg
    IMG_0328.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0326.jpeg
    IMG_0326.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
This is a handle I finished yesterday for a Toyama belonging to @PeterL. I won't go into the specifics of how much of a nightmare this was to drill and fit, apart from posting the following two pictures, and noting that the tang was hardened:

IMG_4795.JPG

IMG_4796.JPG

Handle is a 'heart-shape', using an unusually beautiful bit of English Walnut, coupled with an equally unusually beautiful bit of cream ivory and red marbled horn.

IMG_E5168.JPG

IMG_E5141.JPG

IMG_E5164.JPG

IMG_E5163.JPG

Last edited:
This is a handle I finished yesterday for a Toyama belonging to @PeterL. I won't go into the specifics of how much of a nightmare this was to drill and fit, apart from to posting the following two pictures, and noting that the tang was hardened:

View attachment 319702

View attachment 319703

Handle is a 'heart-shape', using an unusually beautiful bit of English Walnut, coupled with an equally unusually beautiful bit of cream ivory and red marbled horn.

View attachment 319707

View attachment 319709

View attachment 319706

View attachment 319705

View attachment 319704
That IS some beautiful walnut. Great work.

I have done 2 Toyama handles, both tangs had a bend in them. This is definitely a thing!

Ah interesting.

This knife has made me completely convinced that I need to pick up a Toyama at some point. I was hoping the bent and hardened tang might be a one-off, but sounds like something I’ll have to negotiate again in the future…😬

That IS some beautiful walnut. Great work.
@cotedupy stunning wood and horn combo! 🤩

Ta!

This particular tree, which my workplace got a decent amount of before Christmas, was really beautiful. Though unfortunately this was the last piece of it I have.

Peter had always liked a handle I’d made for one of my own knives - a Mazaki. And the goal was to try to emulate that kinda look. Maz handle is blonde and black mottled horn with a piece of Cypress burl (stabilized and given to me by my Philadelphian friend above :)).

IMG_5192.jpeg

Last edited:
Even though the tang bend seems to be a common condition (I think one of our US pharmacuetical companies has developed a treatment for that) Toyama makes a marvelous knife. Despite being stout in the spine, his grind allows a user to ghost through even some dense veg. Because I have had mine for a while, it doesnt get as much time in its rotation as it used to. Every time I put it in my work kit, the first few cuts make me love it all over again.

For future knives, it isn't challenging to anneal the tang and make it easier to deal with afterwards

That’s a fair point. Do you have to do anything special to stop heat going into the main part of the blade? Wrap it in a bit of damp cloth or something…?

That’s a fair point. Do you have to do anything special to stop heat going into the main part of the blade? Wrap it in a bit of damp cloth or something…?
I just did this recently, put the blade in a metal container of water with just the tang sticking out the top and went at it with a blow torch. Water warmed quite a lot but never boiled. I'm sure some portion just behind the heel of the blade isn't fully softened but it made it very easy to drill through after getting it red hot and letting it air cool.

This knife has made me completely convinced that I need to pick up a Toyama at some point.
They really do cut supernaturally well, I have three (at least one is the Watanabe version of the same knife). Crap handles though! 😂 I am tempted to try making a handle, can you recommend any starter resources? Cheers!

Back