Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it depends... some craftsmen have started buying pre-clad stock (clad at the factory), while others use craftsmen who specialize in laminating steels to do their lamination for them. For what its worth, the focus on most forums tends to be towards those who do everything in-house... i just want to point out that our viewer base is not necessarily in alignment with what is normal or common.

Jon, as usual, thanks for the information.

Could somebody just boot clarelv? All her posts are like this. I don't mind sophisticated trolls, but this is just tedious.

Ray, Thanks for the input. May I call your (and everybody else's) attention to the little "report" button on the bottom left of the screen. This is exactly what the button is for.

Tangents aside, anybody bought a knife lately? Wanna SHOW it?

/\
||
||
Beauty! Where did get em, if not a secret? Can you do a choil shot as well?

Beauty! Where did get em, if not a secret? Can you do a choil shot as well?

I got the damascus one from CKTG and the 210 one from Tosho. Just click those "Notify me" buttons on both websites (also subscribe to JNS) and it will send you an email when it is back in stock. BTW Tosho have the 210mm gyuto (non-damascus) back in stock yesterday and is still available right now.

(sry iphone5 camera sux lol)

I got the damascus one from CKTG and the 210 one from Tosho. Just click those "Notify me" buttons on both websites (also subscribe to JNS) and it will send you an email when it is back in stock. BTW Tosho have the 210mm gyuto (non-damascus) back in stock yesterday and is still available right now.

I am jealous. Any major difference fit and finish wise on the damascus blade? Those are sexy knives

^Thanks. I am still saving for one! :)

I am jealous. Any major difference fit and finish wise on the damascus blade? Those are sexy knives

Not much, except the significant weight differences (probably because of the handle). 240 damascus is 272g while 210 is only 177g. And of course, it looks soooooo much sexier lol.

damn that damascus is nice.. is it etched??

enjoy!

That damascus has me weak in the knees:fanning:. Did you etch the whole blade?... or maybe it's just the lighting. Never seen one that dark before.

Hiromoto%20Honesuki_zpswwnequg4.jpg

Very pleased with this one so far! Last year I bought a Hiromoto Gyuto and petty while there were still available. Really loved them so when I saw this beauty I had to pull the trigger!

Looks good (although quite minimalist I must say) and performs really well in my opinion!

I like the brass rivets! How's the fit and finish on the handle of that hiromoto honesuki

I know it's not the flashiest of knives, especially on this section of the forum, but after having my friend's for a while I decided to buy it myself: Katsushige Anry Hammered Blue #2 Santoku 165 (170) mm. Fit and finish is decent, a little rough on the choil but it's not sharp/annoying in a pinch grip. I put a 1000/5000 edge from Naniwa Specialty stones on it with afterwards 1 micron DMT diamond paste on leather followed by stropping on very fine phonebook paper. Edge has great bite still and flies through an onion, tomato and carrot for test (also push cuts magazine paper). I apologize for the poor cutting board background, due to poor lighting in the evening I can't use my good board.
7Q1lAVj.jpg

jYpSVvb.jpg

68XJ1ru.jpg

7CiKnFB.jpg

BamBF3H.jpg

I know it's not the flashiest of knives, especially on this section of the forum, but after having my friend's for a while I decided to buy it myself: Katsushige Anry Hammered Blue #2 Santoku 165 (170) mm. Fit and finish is decent, a little rough on the choil but it's not sharp/annoying in a pinch grip. I put a 1000/5000 edge from Naniwa Specialty stones on it with afterwards 1 micron DMT diamond paste on leather followed by stropping on very fine phonebook paper. Edge has great bite still and flies through an onion, tomato and carrot for test (also push cuts magazine paper). I apologize for the poor cutting board background, due to poor lighting in the evening I can't use my good board.
7Q1lAVj.jpg

jYpSVvb.jpg

68XJ1ru.jpg

7CiKnFB.jpg

BamBF3H.jpg

It's a good knife. I have some of anryus other knives. Hes a suburb smith and it's a cool finish.

Pretty good in my opinion! Maybe a few issues with rough edges near the base of the blade but nothing I couldn't fix!! For the price it's amazing value IMO!

Marko Tsourkan A2 suji 290mm on the edge.
Gude bread knife way bigger, and just an awesome bread knife!!!

Not new but new to me... Delbert Ealy Birdseye Maple Burl 3" Parer... Picked it up from tjangula on Friday! Got a bunch of compliments on it already :bliss: hehe. Still without camera.

Not new but new to me... Delbert Ealy Birdseye Maple Burl 3" Parer... Picked it up from tjangula on Friday! Got a bunch of compliments on it already :bliss: hehe. Still without camera.

Glad that you (and others) like it, I'm sure Delbert would be pleased knowing that it's getting good use in a pro environment. I kinda have seller's remorse, but now know exactly what I'd ask Del to make me in a custom having had one of his production models. Personally I'd really like one of his mini parers (I think they are like 50-60mm) as I like to have the tip really close for certain things, and my Hattori FH-1 just doesn't cut it sometimes (pardon the pun)

Shibata Kotetsu 210mm Gyto just received over the weekend from the exchange. I was really interested in this line when I first saw them due to the profile, steel, geometry, and price point. I was not disappointed. It is a great knife, my first laser, and I love the flat profile. I used it a couple of times over the weekend and the flat profile fits my cutting style wonderfully. Plus I love the looks of the K-tip gyutos. Very happy to have this one.

Great fit and finish, very nice handle, excellent performance.

19F5F784-0C44-4D39-AB84-67C6BC111E29_zps5ojz39qp.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Takamura Uchigumo gyuto and petty. I'm upgrading from the Takamura Blazen/Pro. Still waiting for the Uchigumo Sujihiki to be available.

ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1437443830.800358.jpg

These are going down to Dave for some handle work at some point.

Back