Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw that Laser, and I'm glad it went to an appreciative forum owner! I almost pulled the trigger on it. Based just on the performance of my AEB-L Artifex (which I've owned a very brief period and which I'm going to gift to a friend who does not own a single decent knife), I'm sure the Laser will bring you big big smiles. I made a 3-step bevel at 5, 10, and 15 degrees, and there is no resistance with such a thin blade. I'm now a big fan of AEB-L steel. Thinking about putting another in the kitchen for guest-abuse.

that Gesshin Ino 270mm White #2 Honyaki knife looks amazing.

Is it just me or does it look like the ferrule, where the tang enters, is hollow? Seems like a PITA to keep clean...

Is it just me or does it look like the ferrule, where the tang enters, is hollow? Seems like a PITA to keep clean...

Are you looking at the pictures of the sujijiki?

I'm not sure what you mean you by "hollow" (a scooped sort of bowl instead of flat?), but I just looked at it next to a few of my other knives and it's no different than they are.

I think I might have posted this around here before, but since it's my latest purchase, it's all I have to show. I bought this w/o a handle or finishing touches from C**G, did a satin finish with a coarse scotchbrite belt, and used some of Mark Farley's 2 tone amboyna burl with brick red and black spacers. I love the profile and the grind, and am pretty happy with my 2nd attempt at a was handle.

7-28-12ultimatumrehandle01.jpg.scaled1000.jpg

7-28-12ultimatumrehandle02.jpg.scaled1000.jpg

Looks beautiful, Tom! Very nice work!

Johnny I like those Ebony handles wt. Blk. horn.Cool Yanagi,that white #2 will get razor sharp.

Gray good job on that blade,Satin Finish & handle wt. the 2 tone burl & spacers.

Tom that knife handle is something els. love the natural end

Actually, I ordered mine last year after seeing the one pictured on Jon's website now (the ferrule on mine being the only difference).

Gesshin_Ino_270_02.jpg

Gesshin_Ino_270_03.jpg

(I just created a Photobucket account, as I can't figure out Picasa/Google+!)

dude, those Inos are awesome looking!

Here's my newest prep tool..A CCK 1303 re-handled with cocobolo and ebony..as well as a fantastic saya from our friend Eamon.This cleaver cuts ridiculously well (as I'm sure many of you know) and with a new handle, it feels very natural in hand.
I did my usual "finishing" which includes:
-taking the dremel to the spine and choil followed by progressive sanding and then polishing.
-light sanding of the corners of the handle followed by some tung oil.
-removal of the forge slag and lacquer.
-forced patina with mustard and then a hot vinegar bath for a couple hours.
-stained the saya and carved a new pin out of "fatwood". I love fatwood pins due to there resinous nature....they really grip the hole when pushed in.
-put a new edge on it of course ;).

After the pics were taken, I took a green scotchbrite pad to the steel, removed the patina (and extra slag that remained) and let the blade sit up-rite in an onion for about twenty min. to check re-activity. I fully expected the onion to have turned black where it sat up next to the blade, but it was totally unstained! Well, that's about it...thanks for looking.

7670289286_958f8a0ff2_b.jpg

7670311036_faaed6bded_z.jpg

7670299728_a8067cb9b9_z.jpg

Wow, nice job on the staining. Also, way to upgrade a $40 cleaver to a whole other level!

Wow - that's one sweet cleaver. I'm going to refer to your list above for future messing about with my knives. Really nice handle too: looks great, but also complements and doesn't distract from the metal. Excellent!

mygod thats mcsexy :) custom saya?

Last edited:
Thanks guys, the saya is not really a custom order...it fits the CCK and the cooksknivestogo in-house cleaver. It's made very well indeed!

What'd you do to remove the "slag" from the KU finish? Great job btw.

What'd you do to remove the "slag" from the KU finish? Great job btw.

I sanded most of it off and then soaked the whole thing in vinegar for about 5-6 hours....after the bath it came off pretty easy with a green scrubbie. As of now it just looks like a brushed finish.

Any tips about taking the dremel to the spine and choil? What bit/burr/whatever do you use?

Any tips about taking the dremel to the spine and choil? What bit/burr/whatever do you use?

I use a green grinding stone I shaped into an hour glass shape to do the initial shaping, it is less likely to slip and wreck the face of the blade. Follow that with a scotchbrite wheel to work out scratches, follow that with a felt wheel with polishing compound, either stop here or go for mirror polish with sandpaper. That is how I have been doing mine, with nice results; you may want smaller sized bits to get up close to the handle if desired.

Here's my newest prep tool..A CCK 1303 re-handled with cocobolo and ebony..as well as a fantastic saya from our friend Eamon.This cleaver cuts ridiculously well (as I'm sure many of you know) and with a new handle, it feels very natural in hand.
I did my usual "finishing" which includes:
-taking the dremel to the spine and choil followed by progressive sanding and then polishing.
-light sanding of the corners of the handle followed by some tung oil.
-removal of the forge slag and lacquer.
-forced patina with mustard and then a hot vinegar bath for a couple hours.
-stained the saya and carved a new pin out of "fatwood". I love fatwood pins due to there resinous nature....they really grip the hole when pushed in.
-put a new edge on it of course ;).

After the pics were taken, I took a green scotchbrite pad to the steel, removed the patina (and extra slag that remained) and let the blade sit up-rite in an onion for about twenty min. to check re-activity. I fully expected the onion to have turned black where it sat up next to the blade, but it was totally unstained! Well, that's about it...thanks for looking.

7670289286_958f8a0ff2_b.jpg

7670311036_faaed6bded_z.jpg

7670299728_a8067cb9b9_z.jpg

Nice how did you remove the slag & varnish?

2 new knives.
Richm0nd Fanatic 52100 carbon cleaver custom handle Costa Rican cocobolo with a wenge ferrule
Shigefusa Kitaeji petty 150mm petty

2012-08-09030758_resized.jpg

2012-08-09030010_resized.jpg

2012-08-09025921_resized.jpg

2012-08-09025542_resized_1.jpg

2012-08-09030536_resized.jpg

2012-08-09030554_resized.jpg

2012-08-09030426_resized.jpg

Back