Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JWW. Gotta say, it's very, very different to the Aframes 240. Thinner and pointier. I can easily see how you thought it was a petty without something for scale

I think the profile looks so much nicer on a longer Shig...I liked 240, not so much the 210 but this looks sweet. Dimensions, length x height?

This is just such a different knife. 273mm heel to toe.
50mm height, though I'd have called it lower than that eyeballing it.
Weight is 245gr which is 15gr less than his bruiser little 240mm brother though some of that will be the ebony handle. Grind is thinner, the S is less pronounced, and it's a skinnier hamaguri at the bottom. I'm opening it up on a new Aizu and my angle is much much lower than on the 240 before I hit the cladding. Cladding is also less reactive and harder.

I'm going to grossly exaggerate my perception of the profiles to convey the point but the 240 when eyeballed could be imagined as more bullet-like - like a Masashi if it ate all its spinach and the 270s got a bit of a pointier, higher-tipped Gengetsu style profile. Obviously the difference would be much subtler than those examples but you get the idea.

Super nice Shigs recently! And I'm not even jealous but only because I'm more on the hunt for Kato... :running:

Myself, I just got a couple of custom orders that rolled in and then another from a maker I've been really interested in.

First is an Isaiah Schroeder chef's knife, 215mm in 1095 & 15N20 lazy twist damascus, handle of purple and red dyed box elder burl with brass spacer and end cap. I totally dig his handles and was really enjoying the lazy twist damascus patterns he's created. I just happened to see this on his instagram where he was at a show and had some knives on a display stand, so I bought it without even seeing a really good picture of it. I just knew that I really liked his work and was jonesing to get a nice example. While I prefer 240 length, this was okay because the profile is more a German style chefs versus a gyuto, or at least that's how I rationalized yet another knife buy, LOL.

6ePggych.jpg

Then I received a gyuto and petty custom set that I asked for from Jelle Hazenberg. I saw some of his stuff on another website and was really taken by his designs, both the blade profiles and the handles. A lot of swagger and eye appeal. Plus his main gig is prepping large quantities of vegetables for a kitchen, so I figured he probably is coming from a more experienced perspective versus say a hunting or edc knife maker who happens to make kitchen knives to help their bottom line (obviously there are makers who are awesome at both).

This set is in suminagashi white steel (I believe it's the 22 layer san mai with white #2 core you can find from euro suppliers) with handles of blackwood, bocote, and chacate preto. The handles seem very unique to me, yet they are quite comfortable in either my preferred pinch grip or a hammer grip. The swedge on the petty is great for resting my pointer finger on when held in a pointing grip. The suminigashi pattern from the layered san mai is really nice, unfortunately due to the lighting and using my cell phone camera, it didn't show up good in the pic. The second pic is one from his workshop that shows it better.

UgFu6Gwh.jpg

DSC_3848_zpsjomkww0o.jpg

Unfortunately, I haven't had much time to cook, so I haven't yet been able to enjoy using these knives much, just cut some carrots, onions, and mushrooms for salads. Quite happy so far. :doublethumbsup:

Super nice Shigs recently! And I'm not even jealous but only because I'm more on the hunt for Kato... :running:

Myself, I just got a couple of custom orders that rolled in and then another from a maker I've been really interested in.

First is an Isaiah Schroeder chef's knife, 215mm in 1095 & 15N20 lazy twist damascus, handle of purple and red dyed box elder burl with brass spacer and end cap. I totally dig his handles and was really enjoying the lazy twist damascus patterns he's created. I just happened to see this on his instagram where he was at a show and had some knives on a display stand, so I bought it without even seeing a really good picture of it. I just knew that I really liked his work and was jonesing to get a nice example. While I prefer 240 length, this was okay because the profile is more a German style chefs versus a gyuto, or at least that's how I rationalized yet another knife buy, LOL.

6ePggych.jpg

Then I received a gyuto and petty custom set that I asked for from Jelle Hazenberg. I saw some of his stuff on another website and was really taken by his designs, both the blade profiles and the handles. A lot of swagger and eye appeal. Plus his main gig is prepping large quantities of vegetables for a kitchen, so I figured he probably is coming from a more experienced perspective versus say a hunting or edc knife maker who happens to make kitchen knives to help their bottom line (obviously there are makers who are awesome at both).

This set is in suminagashi white steel (I believe it's the 22 layer san mai with white #2 core you can find from euro suppliers) with handles of blackwood, bocote, and chacate preto. The handles seem very unique to me, yet they are quite comfortable in either my preferred pinch grip or a hammer grip. The swedge on the petty is great for resting my pointer finger on when held in a pointing grip. The suminigashi pattern from the layered san mai is really nice, unfortunately due to the lighting and using my cell phone camera, it didn't show up good in the pic. The second pic is one from his workshop that shows it better.

UgFu6Gwh.jpg

DSC_3848_zpsjomkww0o.jpg

Unfortunately, I haven't had much time to cook, so I haven't yet been able to enjoy using these knives much, just cut some carrots, onions, and mushrooms for salads. Quite happy so far. :doublethumbsup:

Very nice. I particularly like the Schroeder

I always enjoy seeing a Rader wa handle. Sprinkle that with some sweet Honyaki and it's just Top Drawer for sure.

Got something in today. I wanted a suji with a little more meat on it's bones, this is what Cris and I came up with.
335MM, leopard wood handle with wrought iron and damascus spacers.

kEtA6Pc.jpg

I couldn't get the hamon in my pictures so I borrowed one from Cris.

GUg1ASM.jpg

That's a big Suji, very impressive package! I thought the handle was snakewood for some reason…

I thought the same thing at first. The two can be close and in person snake wood has more red in it.

Here's a few close ups
j4OcCng.jpg

3jfF9uE.jpg

I really like the handle work Cris does. Something about the shape just sits right. I'm taking it with me tomorrow to break down the pork. Cris has a sort of sale going on a some stainless knives he batched out so I may have another incoming shortly.

I have to agree that Cris handles while seeming unorthodox are amazing in hand. After trying one of Cris' knives I actually asked if he would be open to doing that handle for some of my other blades.

That is a very interesting shape for a handle. How does it feel in hand after a long prep session?

Anywho, I got a new toy too. These guys are getting harder and harder to find.

IMG_9477_zpsmxlxqpr7.jpg

IMG_9485_zpsebt3ryct.jpg

IMG_9478_zpsv4rx0hyo.jpg

IMG_9495_zpsecmmgpqb.jpg

IMG_9496_zpskbejwrza.jpg

Bill Burke Twisted Dragon 270mm suji, Mokume bolster and Red Morel western handle

Wow wowowow that knife is amazing! I saw one of Bill's knives in person at PNWG and they are even better in person than in picture!

Back