Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not even sure why your board needs to be as deep as your knife is long.

@Yoshi it is just a matter of time before you get a 270. We should really have a brochure about this. "You have broken the 240 barrier. What happens now? We will guide you as you explore the upper reaches."
Haha, my largest gyuto is a 240 but I have a 300 suji.

In keeping with tonight’s theme of bigger blades, this 270 mm beauty arrived today.

IMG_3994.jpeg

IMG_3993.jpeg

Wat Pro's are not exactly rare these days, but I read multiple times that his Nakiri is the best you can get (not everyone agreed). So the intention was that when I next went to Japan I'd get a Wat Pro Kurochi Nakiri. And then a cheap Gyoto from Kapabashi. Then looked at some of the kapabashi shops online, and figured if I ordered a Watanabe gyuto, I'd never need to buy another knife ever again! (that didnt work).

Went for polished in the end, not quite sure if that's better or worse than kurochi, but certainly happy with the look!

Nakiri :-

Blade :- Blue #2 Stainless Clad.

Handle :- Walnut, brown dyed maple hilt

Price :- 59000JPY

Gyuto

Handle :- Walnut, black dyed maple hilt

Price :- 54500JPY

Got them delivered to the hotel, which I was a bit worried about, but they were there waiting for me.

Easy to deal with via email, took a bit of back and forth to sort out why I couldnt have the same handle on both, but that was more me not understanding.

Not had chance to use them yet.

1.Kanji.jpg
2.Back.jpg
4.G-Choil.jpg
3.N-Choil.jpg

Absolute stunner came in today from @DevinT. Stainless clad Apex Ultra. This is my first Apex Ultra blade, and it‘s fun to have a knife made by Hoss in a steel co-developed by @Larrin. Really appreciate everything both of them have contributed to this community.

As for the knife, it’s an impeccable mid-weight. Tip is finely ground and ghosts through onions. Can’t wait to use it more.
IMG_4021.jpeg

IMG_4023.jpeg

IMG_4024.jpeg

Knife purchases from last month 🥳

Heldqvist Custom Fulltang Gyuto 250mm x 58mm 26c3 Rough Iron Nickel Foil, Walnut and Hidden Pins

Heldqvist Gyuto 251mmmx 57mm Apex Ultra Rough Iron, Tasmanian Blackwood with Iron Wood Spacer.

Heldqvist Fulltang Petty 162mm x 34mm, 26c3 Cladding is made from bars from a Old Wrough Iron Railing from Early 1900s, walnut with brass pins

Merion Integral Gyuto 251mm x 59mm 1,2562 Rough Iron Karelian Birch.

Sorry for the bad light.
IMG_2078.jpg
IMG_2082.jpg

The Nakiri is back to Martin Huber. He slowly needs glasses 🤓🤣🤣🤣. Had a fat overgrind. @martinhuber has already accepted things and I am looking forward to getting it. Hurry up😬😅🤣

Huber Nakiri, 174mm x 62mm Mild Steel Clad Go Mai with 1,2419 Core
Turkish Walnut with Bogoak Front Convex Grind

PHOTO-2023-09-23-10-14-22 2.jpg
PHOTO-2023-09-23-10-14-22.jpg

Last edited:
New S-grind hatchet from @eddworks came in. I'm extremely impressed with the attention to detail and excellent f&f on this nakiri. Rounded everything and feels great. I'm excited to put it through the paces tonight.

185x65 and 358 g

View attachment 277431
View attachment 277433
View attachment 277434
View attachment 277435

Wat Pro for scale
View attachment 277436

That’s about a perfect sized nakiri imo. Anything smaller (height or length) just doesn’t do it for me. And that crazy spine/weight makes it even more perfect

Sooo After saying I wasn't traipsing across Tokyo to go to the Masamoto store, I wound up walking right past it, and was forced by a gang of Japanese Ninjas, into said store, and was not allowed out until I had selected and purchased a nice knife (well that's what I told the wife).

There were more staff than customers (only me), one to show me the knife, one to touch up the edge, and one to make sure the handle was tight/sealed, another to wrap it.

Was interesing to watch the guy sort the handle, he drove in some thin wood each side of the tang, then sealed it with what looked like drips from a thin candle. Sharpening guy had the job done before I had chance to watch which was a shame!

I nearly never went, from what I'd read, they were expensive, never had much stock, and the staff weren't very helpful. But that was certainly not my experience, they even seemed pleased to see me, glad I went. No english spoken, but a mix of google translate and charades, was fairly easy to deal with them. They even bought out a selection, so I could choose my favourite.

270mm Sujihiki KS4327:-
Blade :- White #2 Monosteel.
Handle :- Park and horn
Price :- 52,600 JPY

Front.jpg

Back.jpg

Choil.jpg

Sooo After saying I wasn't traipsing across Tokyo to go to the Masamoto store, I wound up walking right past it, and was forced by a gang of Japanese Ninjas, into said store, and was not allowed out until I had selected and purchased a nice knife (well that's what I told the wife).

There were more staff than customers (only me), one to show me the knife, one to touch up the edge, and one to make sure the handle was tight/sealed, another to wrap it.

Was interesing to watch the guy sort the handle, he drove in some thin wood each side of the tang, then sealed it with what looked like drips from a thin candle. Sharpening guy had the job done before I had chance to watch which was a shame!

I nearly never went, from what I'd read, they were expensive, never had much stock, and the staff weren't very helpful. But that was certainly not my experience, they even seemed pleased to see me, glad I went. No english spoken, but a mix of google translate and charades, was fairly easy to deal with them. They even bought out a selection, so I could choose my favourite.

270mm Sujihiki KS4327:-
Blade :- White #2 Monosteel.
Handle :- Park and horn
Price :- 52,600 JPY

View attachment 277565

View attachment 277566

View attachment 277567

What a rare (comparatively) and awesome experience that you'll recall each time you use that knife. 👍

That’s about a perfect sized nakiri imo. Anything smaller (height or length) just doesn’t do it for me. And that crazy spine/weight makes it even more perfect
The only downside to the beautifully thicc spine is that no longer makes a good bench scraper. A price I'm willing to pay, but not something that crossed my mind before I attempted it.

@enrico I'll upload some cutting videos and further thoughts later to the "talk about this knife" thread to keep from cluttering this up

Back