Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Newham damasteel S-grind. She's a beaut.
20231206_101934.jpg
20231206_102117.jpg
20231206_102143.jpg
20231206_102221.jpg

a slight hijack. Are those kanto speakers? I've a sound core at the moment and it's not really got quite enough oompf. Are those any good?
So it's hard to tell which Kanto speakers he has but I have the Kanto yumi (I don't think they make it anymore) and I had zero issues with them. For me they sound great, they lack bass but a subwoofer fixes that. They are the only bookshelves speakers I own so I can't say how they compare to other brands.

a slight hijack. Are those kanto speakers? I've a sound core at the moment and it's not really got quite enough oompf. Are those any good?
All good haha. Audioengine a2+ refurbs. Almost got the kantos but reviews were slightly better on the a2s, happy with them for what I need (clear audio watching videos, music, etc)

I got this yesterday and I couldn't be happier. This is thr "raptor" gyuto from Francisco Vaz. He is a Brazilian knife maker who I found through blade forums but he's got stuff for sale in several places. He had done some videos explaining the importance of geometry and knives and one day I decided to get him to back that up. I told him I wanted a rugby player that could do ballet in the form of a knife. He made this ballerina Raptor and Sandvik with that Full Tang and Kingwood handle. It is a type of Brazilian rosewood. Well he absolutely delivered and this is the smoothest cutting knife that I own now. I'm absolutely blown away at how good his geometry is. He was very communicative and gave me updates through the whole process.

Attachments

• 20231216_170255.jpg
    20231216_170255.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231216_170236.jpg
    20231216_170236.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231216_170225.jpg
    20231216_170225.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231216_170217.jpg
    20231216_170217.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Hitohira Gorobei(retired) Izo B2 nakiri.
It’s a cool knife to have my first “collectors” knife in my collection. It’s a great knife tho, the Hamaguri is quite pronounced even when it’s quite a laser, very convex right and hollow left. I’m pretty sure it’s 1/1, at least in the west. Can’t wait to use it
IMG_3499.jpeg

IMG_3500.jpeg

IMG_3501.jpeg

I got this yesterday and I couldn't be happier. This is thr "raptor" gyuto from Francisco Vaz. He is a Brazilian knife maker who I found through blade forums but he's got stuff for sale in several places. He had done some videos explaining the importance of geometry and knives and one day I decided to get him to back that up. I told him I wanted a rugby player that could do ballet in the form of a knife. He made this ballerina Raptor and Sandvik with that Full Tang and Kingwood handle. It is a type of Brazilian rosewood. Well he absolutely delivered and this is the smoothest cutting knife that I own now. I'm absolutely blown away at how good his geometry is. He was very communicative and gave me updates through the whole process.
All that and no choil shot?? Looks nice though, the wood on that handle is lovely

Hitohira Gorobei(retired) Izo B2 nakiri.
It’s a cool knife to have my first “collectors” knife in my collection. It’s a great knife tho, the Hamaguri is quite pronounced even when it’s quite a laser, very convex right and hollow left. I’m pretty sure it’s 1/1, at least in the west. Can’t wait to use it
Very nice. I feel like the gorobei izo (and Kikuchiyo izo) have gone under the radar. Yet to try one myself but all of the choils are lookers

Last edited:
Very nice. I feel like the gorobei ren/izo have gone under the radar. Yet to try one myself but all of the choils are lookers
I had a Gorobei ren and it was really good through dense food but the profile of the knife wasn’t for me. But for izo, there is no line for Gorobei izo. Just this one

All good haha. Audioengine a2+ refurbs. Almost got the kantos but reviews were slightly better on the a2s, happy with them for what I need (clear audio watching videos, music, etc)
Thanks I'll give them a look. Meatloaf sounds like hes in the house nextdoor on these!

All that and no choil shot?? Looks nice though, the wood on that handle is lovely
It's a nice dense wood. I oiled after these pics. I'll get a choil shot. I was being lazy. If I saw it adequately, the convexity is subtle. I might get a better steel and/or a carbon steel one as well. Luckily he likes 52100. I love the full tang too. Gives the knife a feel that I like, that density in the handle feels good. It's also very comfortable, the choil and spine are rounded and polished and makes use a joy.

What other petty do you know with a similar profile but more affordable? Maybe in carbon
Takeo Murata makes an assortment of smaller knives. Aogami 1, nice in hand, very affordable. Not fancy, but they sharpen and hold their edge very nicely, and they’re excellent in the kitchen—

https://cuttingedgeknives.co.uk/search?type=product,article,page&q=Murata+
https://thecooksedge.com/collections/murata-buho-kurouchi/products/buho-kurouchi-funayuki-150mm
Murata Buho Aogami Steel Kurouchi Sabaki Honesuki Japanese Knife 150mm | eBay

I visited Copenhagen this weekend, primarily to go to a fancy reastaurant but being me I ended up visiting some fun stores too. I escaped the Leica store without buying anything but at H.W.Larsen I feel for the preassure and got a couple of knives.

First a chinese cleaver:

Cleaver 1.jpg

More pics here:

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/...had-a-cleaver-chat.49526/page-69#post-1062853
Then also a Masutani santoku, as a souvenir and as a way to try a cheaper VG-10 knife again after some years with mainly carbon steel:

Santoku 1.jpg
Santoku 2.jpg
Santoku 3.jpg
Santoku 4.jpg
Santoku 5.jpg
Santoku 6.jpg

I visited Copenhagen this weekend, primarily to go to a fancy reastaurant but being me I ended up visiting some fun stores too. I escaped the Leica store without buying anything but at H.W.Larsen I feel for the preassure and got a couple of knives.

First a chinese cleaver:

View attachment 288763

More pics here:

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/...had-a-cleaver-chat.49526/page-69#post-1062853
Then also a Masutani santoku, as a souvenir and as a way to try a cheaper VG-10 knife again after some years with mainly carbon steel:

View attachment 288764View attachment 288765View attachment 288766View attachment 288767View attachment 288768View attachment 288769
Got a couple of matsutani nakiris from the same line to gift friends for Christmas and was super impressed by the value and performance!

Got my vacation pay and decided to splurge some on new kitchen goodies… Mutsumi Hinoura Ajikataya 140 mm petty and 210 mm gyuto (W#2 core at 63 HRC sandwiched between nicely textured cheeks of iron).

I actually had another Ajikataya petty that I liked so much that I wanted to get a backup, decided to get a medium sized gyuto also so went with one from the same series.

Now that gyuto, then… thiccc. Wedges quite a bit so will need to give it the same treatment I gave to my Y. Tanaka nakiri which is now, despite being of nice heft and thickness, the best cutting knife I have, it just zips through carrots like there is no tomorrow due to its updated blade geometry and convex grind.

Anyhoo, trying not to be too dismayed by the initial performance I gave the gyuto a try at cutting a nice piece of ribeye to steaks for tomorrow (oh yeah, I also invested in the first stainless steel pan ever, a Demeyere Atlantis/Proline 7 32 cm pan for those family sized meals like pasta in pan sauce or blue mussels for four, should arrive tomorrow).

That was… better. Not a laser by any measure but for a 210 gyuto, very decent performance (good factory sharpness too). So, with a bit of work that gyuto could become my go to for general use :)

FullSizeRender.jpeg

Really like the profile and feel in hand, just need to regrind that gyuto (time for some holiday fun at the stones). ;)

FullSizeRender.jpeg

Yup…

FullSizeRender.jpeg

I like my steaks thick (three fingers). High initial heat for sear, then low and slow to cook to medium rare. They got salted lightly (and the some) and will spend the next 24 hours on a wire rack in the fridge drying, etc.

Last edited:
Got my vacation pay and decided to splurge some on new kitchen goodies… Mutsumi Hinoura Ajikataya 140mm petty and 210mm gyuto (W#2 core at 63 HRC sandwiched between nicely textured cheeks of iron).

I actually had another Ajikataya petty that I liked so much that I wanted to get a backup, decided to get a medium sized gyuto so went with one from the same series.

Now that gyuto, then… thiccc. Wedges quite a bit so will need to give it the same treatment I gave to my Y. Tanaka nakiri which is now, despite being of nice heft and thickness, the best cutting knife I have, it just zips through carrots like there is no tomorrow due to its updated blade geometry and convex grind.

Anyhoo, trying not being too dismayed by the initial performance I gave the gyuto a try at cutting a nice piece of ribeye to steaks for tomorrow (oh yeah, I also invested in the first stainless steel pan ever, a Demeyere Atlantis 7/Proline 32 cm pan for those family sized meals like pasta in pan sauce or blue mussels for four, should arrive tomorrow).

That was… better. Not a laser by any measure but for a 210 gyuto, very decent performance (good factory sharpness too). So, with a bit of work that gyuto could become my go to for general use :)

View attachment 288998
Really like the profile and feel in hand, just need to regrind that gyuto (time for some holiday fun at the stones). ;)

View attachment 288999
Yup…

View attachment 289000
I like my steaks thick (three fingers). High initial heat for sear, then low and slow to cook to medium rare. They got salted lightly (and the some) and will spend the next 24 hours on a wire rack in the fridge drying, etc.

Makes me want a hinoura again! Love his white 2 treatment

Back