Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New to me. I have to say I’m floored. Not sure why I waited this long to try western makers. Thanks to @WCV and @daveb ’s recommendation in the western makers recommendation thread, especially @daveb ’s strong statement about Hoss’ knives, I took the splurge and got this from one of the nicest people I met since I started in this hobby. I honestly don’t know why I would need another 240mm gyuto. My pictures don’t really do this knife justice.

View attachment 296584View attachment 296585View attachment 296586View attachment 296587
Beautiful knife! What's this western makers thread you speak of?

Arrived today a 235 mm 52100 S Grind gyuto with Turkish Walnut handle from Lew Griffin… Beautiful work and I’m a sucker for S Grind.👍❤️🙏🇮🇪
IMG_1982.jpeg
IMG_1983.jpeg

Nice haul!

Those little Eddworks gyutos keep catching my eye, the profile is just neat looking, especially with that handle. How flat is it on the board?

Attached a picture. I enjoy the it.

The one thing to note is I feel the handle can feel small for some depending on hand size (maybe) but for it it literally fits perfectly (but I prefer smaller sizes)

Put a side my side with my 130mm

Attachments

• PXL_20240131_111514036.RAW-01.COVER.jpg
    7.3 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240131_111532958.RAW-01.COVER.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240131_111552557.RAW-01.COVER.jpg
    7.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oh that’s a nice petty! I meant that in a good way. Looks really versatile

Masamoto KS 330 mm gyuto. You never know when you might need extra lenght. I was considering Fu-Rin-Ka-Zan 330 mm sujihiki for briskets and other large cooked meats, but this was more affordable. Thanks @blokey for pointing this out.

https://buyee.jp/mercari/item/m10086648036
Edge lenght 345 mm, width 58 mm, weight 276g. For comparison 50 cm Hasegawa cutting board.

Knife was unused, but there is weird grind polish on right side near heel. It is pronounced in the 3rd picture because of the protective oil. It was less pronounced after good wiping with acetone.
IMG_0862.jpeg

IMG_0863.jpeg

IMG_0866.jpeg

Last edited:
Forgive the off topic knife, but I thought you guys might understand. I always wanted to try one of these out and I didn't think it was a bad price on the auction site. It has features that I value, top of the blade has a swedge, sharpening nick in front of choil, twine wraps are very grippy,120mm carbon steel blade, about right size for me.

I think the maker is Takeshi Saji? I don't know what steel this one is I have seen them in blue 2, AS and white 2. Probably figure it out when I sharpen it.

Not a dedicated kitchen knife, but more of an outdoor one, JE made Nessmuk 4, really nice fit and finish. Chen is from the same city as me, he does some of the nicest small batch production knives, tho mostly using more conventional materials, his heat treatment is top notch, done by him in shop in smaller batches, and pushed to a great balance for tougher use. This one is 14C28N tested at 59.5 HRC, still tough as a nail. He actually sent me an extra one for testing and pass around with no charge, I plan to just do it here, let me know if anyone’s interested in testing it, he would really appreciate more feedback. Since the extra one if free for me I intend to raffle it at the end
IMG_2701.jpeg
IMG_2703.jpeg
IMG_2702.jpeg
7aae89a30e963c057cad364023a8cdab.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back