Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zahocho. Took only 3 days from Japan to the UK, very impressive.

The handle came as stock, but I'm sure it's an in-house upgrade by Zahocho. Our Saint is not known to give a **** about handles lol

I had to upgrade mine on the nakiri

View attachment 304131
Yeah definitely not but when the steel is that good ...

I bought the nakiri from tokushu and made sure to get the blade only so they could install their own handle on it, which ended up beautiful

Yeah definitely not but when the steel is that good ...

I bought the nakiri from tokushu and made sure to get the blade only so they could install their own handle on it, which ended up beautiful
Yeah my nakiri is from tokushu with the handle upgrade, really nice

Hmm do I need one of these? 🤔

As a cultist, answer is definitely yes. It's a very different beast compared to my nakiri.
Unfortunately it's already sold out at Zahocho and Tokushu. I think clean cut still has one.

Yoshi was kind enough to let me play around with his Shindo at the meet up at Blenheim and I was impressed. For the money I would definitely encourage it. Can always wait for a restock too

Hopwood 240mm in 14c28n. He's the real deal. This is the best cutter I have, it's incredible. I sent him a block of stabilized live edge amboyna burl and he crushed it with the handle. I couldn't be happier.

20240206_080803.jpg
20240206_080824.jpg
20240207_083837.jpg
20240207_084033.jpg

Yoshi was kind enough to let me play around with his Shindo at the meet up at Blenheim and I was impressed. For the money I would definitely encourage it. Can always wait for a restock too
His knives are not perfect, I don't think @SwampDonkey ever preached that they were.

But are they ridiculously good for the money? Hell yes:
1. Crazy thin grind with hand hammered s-grind. The result is a high performing laser with a fantastic food release.

2. Good heft on the spine to ensure there's still some weight to it.

3. Hammered thumb hold that just makes pinch gripping that much more comfortable.

4. Really good blue 2, no micro chipping on mine despite it being this thin. Fun to sharpen as well.

5. Very stable ku.

The downsides are:

1. Rough/sharp choil and spine. Be prepared to do some work yourself.

2. **** handles. They are so slippery when wet, it's actually borderline dangerous.

3. My nakiri came slightly bent, I had to straighten it. Not noticing any on my gyuto.

Miura used to have the cheapest stock. Shindo made their lowest tier house brand knife, which they priced it at the same as shindo's own. But they went out of stock last year. A nakiri was around 9000 yen.

The newest batch (already sold out) was priced at 13900 yen. So yes a 50% increase. It still flew off the shelf, so I would imagine the next batch will be even more expensive.

That's why it was a no brainer for me when I saw Zahocho had the gyuto in stock with upgraded handle, it cost me 17000 yen shipped. So yeah probably the Miura nakiri would have cost me the same when adding shipping on. Not too mention that nakiri has the **** handle.

The handle came as stock, but I'm sure it's an in-house upgrade by Zahocho. Our Saint is not known to give a **** about handles lol

View attachment 304131
I have a Shindo Nakiri with upgraded handle too. Mine is especially thin BTE and is pleasure to use. Functionally, it’s great. It is a low risk gift for someone who wants to try a high performing Japanese knife but is afraid of causing damage through chipping or inattentiveness. The edge is very stable, the KU is a solid barrier, and at the end of the day it’s ‘cheap’ to replace, so it can be used to build confidence.

The glossy finish in the core steel, which I assume to be lacquer, has come off. Is it lacquer? No big deal. I also do not much like the silver blasted finish (is it intended to mimic kasumi?). Reminds me of this:

His knives are not perfect, I don't think @SwampDonkey ever preached that they were.

But are they ridiculously good for the money? Hell yes:
1. Crazy thin grind with hand hammered s-grind. The result is a high performing laser with a fantastic food release.

2. Good heft on the spine to ensure there's still some weight to it.

3. Hammered thumb hold that just makes pinch gripping that much more comfortable.

4. Really good blue 2, no micro chipping on mine despite it being this thin. Fun to sharpen as well.

5. Very stable ku.

The downsides are:

1. Rough/sharp choil and spine. Be prepared to do some work yourself.

2. **** handles. They are so slippery when wet, it's actually borderline dangerous.

3. My nakiri came slightly bent, I had to straighten it. Not noticing any on my gyuto.

Miura used to have the cheapest stock. Shindo made their lowest tier house brand knife, which they priced it at the same as shindo's own. But they went out of stock last year. A nakiri was around 9000 yen.

The newest batch (already sold out) was priced at 13900 yen. So yes a 50% increase. It still flew off the shelf, so I would imagine the next batch will be even more expensive.

That's why it was a no brainer for me when I saw Zahocho had the gyuto in stock with upgraded handle, it cost me 17000 yen shipped. So yeah probably the Miura nakiri would have cost me the same when adding shipping on. Not too mention that nakiri has the **** handle.
Mine from Fred arrived as well, great knife as expected. Can't beat shindo for even twice the money.

NRD*

Chopper King Small Slicer. Billed as the same grind as a CCK 1303, but in white 2 san mai. It's not, but it's not a heavyweight; the photos below clearly show how the stamped logo deforms the opposite side. It is also the first/only knife that takes to the MAC ceramic honing rod I bought to try out. The CCK goes through the same product with a lot less effort, but it's also close to twice the price for a much softer steel. The handle is larger in length and diameter, and finished in a lacquer or similar product. This makes it a little slipperier than an unfinished handle, but the grooves keep the grip pretty secure, and one could always scuff the finish with steel wool or sandpaper.

I took some quick and dirty measurements, the spine is about 2.2mm with just a bit of distal taper, 0.5mm or so behind the edge it's about 1.1mm.
KIMG20240229_161940842.JPG

KIMG20240229_162000220.JPG

KIMG20240229_162033155.JPG

Waikui V2 nakiri. Surprisingly hefty and blade-heavy, the balance point is a good 4cm forward of the handle. I quickly adopted a modified victory fingers grip typical of a cleaver, but with the second finger right on the choil. This still left a blade-heavy feel, but not awkwardly so, just so the weight of the blade lent momnetum to cutting motions.

A sturdy 5mm at the spine/hendle junction, it quickly tapered to 3.3mm about 3cm forward, then to 2mm at the midpoint, and 1.6 or so at the end. The bevel tapers in a workhorse-ish fashion until 1cm or so short of the edge, where it switches to an aggressive hollow grind, 0.6mm at 0.5mm behind the edge.

It cuts through carrots and celery as though there's nothing there, leaving a gleaming cut surface. My first task was a couple pounds of potatoes cubed for potato salad; halving the tubers resulted in a touch of cracking, but once reduced in size, the remaining cuts were effortless.

It's white 2 clad in iron, the iron in particular being extremely reactive. After cutting the potatoes, I immediately wiped the blade, and the potato ichor came away tinted black. I then cut carrorts, celeery, cucumber, tomatoes, and romaine for a salad for one, wiping between ingredients, and then immediately washing. This left an obvious patina in the center of the blade. I cut a portion of ribeye slices, minding to expose the entire blade to the hot beef, which applied a more colorful patina to the front and rear. I'm hoping this stabilizes the finish.

Bernal's magnetic saya is pretty nice, there's no pin to wander off. The magnet is close to the opening of the saya on the left side, but the slot is generous. One can slide the blade in hugging the right side to avoid rubbing the left side. Hopefully this will preserve the left side kurouchi.

It's rustic as all get out, while cutting like crazy. The ferrule has some light flecks that add some character. Most of my collection is lasery, so the midweight characteristics really stand out. Nifty blade.
KIMG20240229_161633169.JPG

KIMG20240229_01_BURST20240229161545_COVER.JPG
KIMG20240229_161719074.JPG

KIMG20240229_161648660.JPG

*New rectangles day.

View attachment 304131
When I was looking at the 210mm I need $15 in my cart to get free shipping. I think? Did you find something cheap to get free shipping?

Got lucky on my day off and a randomly listed drop. Very cool one with the fancy cladding and olivewood handle. Superb cutter and I really enjoy the shorter middle/tip area. Not egregiously tall at the heel either

Attachments

• IMG_4760.jpeg
    IMG_4760.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4761.jpeg
    IMG_4761.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4763.jpeg
    IMG_4763.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4762.jpeg
    IMG_4762.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4764.mov
    26.2 MB
This blade is getting really comfy on my magnet

Heldqvist 225x60x5 wrought and 26C3 with reindeer, buffalo, silver and ziricote

Attachments

• IMG_9918.jpeg
    IMG_9918.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9919.jpeg
    IMG_9919.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9920.jpeg
    IMG_9920.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9922.jpeg
    IMG_9922.jpeg
    868.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9921.jpeg
    IMG_9921.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Got lucky on my day off and a randomly listed drop. Very cool one with the fancy cladding and olivewood handle. Superb cutter and I really enjoy the shorter middle/tip area. Not egregiously tall at the heel either
Excellent grab and a lovely choil. I mention this because I saw one of his recent 7 layer knives had the convexity/bevels pushed right up to the edge. Was worried Yanick was switching to a more workhorse grind but this looks closer to his original style.

Not a purchase but recently received a new to me HHH Custom 240 gyuto!!

This puppy is super sharp as it just arrived from Tokushu after a fresh sharpening. If I'm not mistaken, I believe it's AEB-L stainless steel with a Western Rosewood handle.

I really like the handle! It's more refined/polished and possibly coated/sealed vs my rosewood Forschners. Oil beads on it where it sinks in to my Forschner rosewood handles.

It arrived just in time to brunoise mirepoix for crabcakes!

A million thank you's to all involved with this!!

Apologies for my crappy phone pics. They do not serve this knife justice.

I haven't been on here much lately. I've been busy getting my garden going, and had some medical procedures to help kill nerve pain. They were successful so I'm in the process of signing up with CozyMeal to offer cooking classes and private chef dinners 2 days a week.

IMG_20240228_164259577.jpg

IMG_20240228_164249969.jpg

IMG_20240228_164026060.jpg
IMG_20240228_163937902.jpg
IMG_20240228_163959616.jpg

This puppy is super sharp as it just arrived from Tokushu after a fresh sharpening. If I'm not mistaken, I believe it's AEB-L stainless steel with a Western Rosewood handle.

I really like the handle! It's more refined/polished and possibly coated/sealed vs my rosewood Forschners. Oil beads on it where it sinks in to my Forschner rosewood handles.

I haven't been on here much lately. I've been busy getting my garden going, and had some medical procedures to help kill nerve pain. They were successful so I'm in the process of signing up with CozyMeal to offer cooking classes and private chef dinners 2 days a week.

View attachment 304519
View attachment 304520
View attachment 304521View attachment 304522View attachment 304523

Glad procedures worked!

View attachment 304519
View attachment 304520
View attachment 304521View attachment 304522View attachment 304523
I had one of these in Huon for a bit, fantastic knives and great to have something like this in stainless lying around

Where’d you pick this up from? I’m always looking at kiritsuke and that one looks great
I bought it directly from the shop in Japan. Here is the website: https://www.frkw.com/

My wife reads and speaks Japanese so she helped with the transaction. We lived there for four years.

It is a wonderful knife. I did some test cuts this evening and then prepared a dinner. It was surprisingly easy to cut with for such a large blade.

I bought it directly from the shop in Japan. Here is the website: https://www.frkw.com/

My wife reads and speaks Japanese so she helped with the transaction. We lived there for four years.

It is a wonderful knife. I did some test cuts this evening and then prepared a dinner. It was surprisingly easy to cut with for such a large blade.
Wow, $273 plus shipping seems like great value for a 270 kiritsuke.

Back