Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wasn't 100% pleased with the board at first, it wasn't quite flat. It wasn't worth it to send it back, so I ran it through my neighbor's planer, now I'm pretty happy with it. If I had it to do over, I would have just spent a few more $ on a better board.

Where'd you get the board? I had a horrible experience when I bought mine.

Chris

photo.php

Where'd you get the board? I had a horrible experience when I bought mine.

Chris

Bought it off ebay. Overall F&F was OK, just not properly flat.
I figgered I was better off not to try and return it, what with eating shipping in two directions. It only took a few passed through the planer to get it straightened out, and I'm likin' it pretty good. Sure feels a whole lot better than the long grain board that it replaces.

carterandnakiri.jpg

Carter 5.2 sun funayuki and Terayasu Nashiji nakiri w/Tim Johnson rehandle

I bought mine from chopbloc.com and it is a great looking/feeling board but the customer service and runaround I got was brutal!! Also, there is a pretty good sized defect in the bottom of the board but like you, I don't believe its worth the trouble of trying to return it. Looks good and feels good, so i'll just keep it :)

Chris

Its 18 x 24, 3 inches thick. There was a pic of it in Boardsmiths thread offering it, but it didn't look as large there as there was nothing for reference. This is a nice, BIG board.

Its 18 x 24, 3 inches thick. There was a pic of it in Boardsmiths thread offering it, but it didn't look as large there as there was nothing for reference. This is a nice, BIG board.

That's a hell of a board! I don't know where I'd even store a board that big.

I think I'll be leaving it out in a semi-permanent spot.

New 240mm kiritsuke gyuto in CPM-154by Butch Harner . She's a beaut to look at and use!

DSC_0910_zpsa60d15d1.jpg

Nice knife! Holy crap, that looks like one I just sold. I had to take a second look.

It is a battle of single bevel honesuki. Kato arrives, Zensho Yoshikane must go.

katoyoshihonesuki.jpg

I'd the Kato actually noticeably better?

Probably not much for my usage. I have a few more Yoshikane knives and just want to try one kato.

Glad you could decipher my mysterious message. And thanks for the candid answer.

I just got this K Sabatier 12" carbon chef from the Sabatier Factory Outlet in Yemassee, SC, a nice little shop packed full of French steel. This photo is after slicing two chicken breasts.

group photo of my purchases in the last 2 months or so. Still new to being a knife nut, but im slowly building a collection.

QUOTE]

Those Tojiro Shirogami's are sure great. Mine take crazy edges.

Cheers,

Jack

Really love the tojiro at its price point! It was my first carbon blade and didnt want to spend a lot on something i may or maynot have liked. It had a few grind issues which through several sessions on the stones i worked out. I also stripped the kurouchi finish off it last night and am starting to polish the blade.. got the idea after looking at this..http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/11648-Who-says-you-can-t-polish-a-turd

I just got this K Sabatier 12" carbon chef from the Sabatier Factory Outlet in Yemassee, SC, a nice little shop packed full of French steel. This photo is after slicing two chicken breasts.

Love the Sabatier blue--nice blade!

I never had you pegged as a Starbucks drinker.

only thing i have on starbucks are their tea and cheesecakes. =D

I really don't like Starbucks coffee but when I'm desperate I'll drink one of there cold coffee things. But I've been to an actuall Starbucks maybe twice.

Knives I've bought in the last month or so, left to right:
Del Ealy paring
Del Ealy 150mm petty
Devin Thomas 260mm ITK western gyuto
Konosuke 270mm sujihiki (picture taken before I polished it)
Tojiro 270mm ITK bread knife
CCK 1303 cleaver

dH4jwsa.jpg

Thanks jigert! No "buyer's remorse" for any of them, that's for sure. :)

And here's a pic of the Konosuke after I polished it up with some wet/dry automotive sandpaper and some Flitz:
pb3emEx.jpg

Send me the DT. I'm not even going to pretend it's crap, like we tend to. I'm just asking you for it. Thank you :D

Back