Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NY-Chef,

I really like the Damascus pattern, and while I like my tip "dropped" a bit more I am sure you will enjoy it.

In looking up what wootz steel is I found this link on Pendray's website and found it to be an interesting read. http://www.tms.org/pubs/journals/JOM/9809/Verhoeven-9809.html

On another note I've got to agree with Mikey. We have someone with 17 posts excited about a new knife he/she ordered. Find something you like about it or don't post. Hopefully he/she will stick around and this knife will be one of many.

NY Chef, I was just having a little fun but I can see where my comments could be insulting. Your new knife might suit your cutting style and if that's so, then that's a lucky find. Many here including myself handled lots of knives without finding what fits.

Welcome aboard, hope my ribbing didn't offend.

IT'S READY AT LAST
It's been a VERY long (although not unexpected) wait, but it's on its way! I should have it in my hands by the end of the week, but I couldn't wait to post it!
I only have the pics from the maker, I'll post more when I get the knife. It's special order 10" chef knife made by Al Pendray, Wootz steel, sheep horn handle (gun not included :( ).
DSC00062%20%281%29.JPG

DSC00063.jpg

That is a freaking beautiful blade! Congratulations :thumbsup:

And kudos to you for exploring new and interesting makers, and their unique creations.

Cheers,

J

As I mentioned I don't have the knife in hand yet so I can't give you a revew (although I think you knew that and your comment was meant in some other way)
As to finding the "right knife" when one buys knives like this it's not for "performance value" as the word "value" goes out the window once one passes a few $100.00 or so. The saying goes it's not the knife but how you use it. Most guys at work have very cheap knives, and I'm talking about chefs and cooks in some of the city's best restaurants. I mean let's face it your average chef/cook can't afford to drop several grand on a knife with what they get paid.
So I'm a chef by trade and collecting knives is a hobby. I've kind of gotten a little bored with European and Japanese knives. Don't get me wrong they are great and I have many, but I find the work American smithies are doing thes days to be appealing and interesting. Pendray work with wootz is something I have been interested in for sometime. Couldn't I have just gone out and bought one of his hunting knives that he is more notable for making? Sure, but I collect kitchen knives. To me it's half the fun finding new makers then just jumping on what and who's hot at the given moment.
Give me a week or so and I'll do a revew. I'll do it old school Chef Niloc style and run it side by side with a Kramer, Burke, Thomas, and Rader.

Without a choil or tip picture, it's pretty hard to say how well it might cut. The handle looks awkward, but the blade is certainly pretty. That is certainly a nice flat spot before the tip.

NY-Chef, you are correct and you definitely do not need to justify your choices to us. My question (contrary to some comments that followed it would seem) was not meant to be sarcastic - I am truly curios how the knife will perform (once it arrives, of course).

You know, you guys can be real pricks at times:disdain:

Wootz steel is one of the most interesting to me - by luck or some forgotten lore they made something extraordinary for the times. In recent times the wootz secrets are discovered slowly one by one. This knife is made by the person that claims that his wootz is the real deal. Never seen kitchen knife in that and I am curious how the steel performs.

How can the fact that I find the blade genuinely interesting and want to see it in action pricky? Once again congratulations. It looks really nice.

So I understand correctly, I don't know much about Wootz steel, is that Dammy pattern natural to the type of steel?

Wootz steel is one of the most interesting to me - by luck or some forgotten lore they made something extraordinary for the times. In recent times the wootz secrets are discovered slowly one by one. This knife is made by the person that claims that his wootz is the real deal. Never seen kitchen knife in that and I am curious how the steel performs.

You can't spell "Wootz" without "Woo".

Interesting knife though. I'm sure the OP had his reasons for choosing that profile, so more power to him.

20141106_172743_1.jpg

My latest 2 acquisitions.

An Del Ealy parer purchased from the Clayton a couple of months back and a W.M. Beatty & Son cleaver 2/0 size. Cleaver still need a bit of work and to be sharpened before I can use it but all in all great shape I thought.

Hoping I can find an Del Ealy bird's beak for sale at some point to go with this one. It has been a very nice nice to use so far.

IT'S READY AT LAST
It's been a VERY long (although not unexpected) wait, but it's on its way! I should have it in my hands by the end of the week, but I couldn't wait to post it!
I only have the pics from the maker, I'll post more when I get the knife. It's special order 10" chef knife made by Al Pendray, Wootz steel, sheep horn handle (gun not included :( ).
DSC00062%20%281%29.JPG

DSC00063.jpg
I've only handled one of his Bowie knives. The finish was perfect. It was a big bad knife. Didn't know he did kitchen knives.

I like it. The finish on the blade looks great, and definitely a nice flat spot, might just be a tad difficult if you want to rock chop with it.

But as I tend to be like NY-Chef and am getting into this as a collector, it doesn't have to be 100% practical in every sense. And sometimes you can purchase purely on aesthetics, or just to try something from someone new.

Been a a long wait.

David Broadwell 270+mm Aeb-l San Mai Damascus. Handle with Ash wood, Carved Spalted Maple. Tooled Copper.

DSC04055_zps7ad8bb54.jpg

DSC04052_zpsbcd009b7.jpg

DSC04089_zpse759b4b3.jpg

DSC04084_zps1415dc5c.jpg

DSC04090_zpsc4a28c1a.jpg

DSC04059_zps6a6e9094.jpg

Just arrived:
A Gyuto 280mm (11") made by Eduardo Berardo from Brazil.
The blade: Damascus Arkansas Breeze pattern.
The handle: estabilized Splated Hackberry wood.
Overall length is 410mm (16.14"),
47.7mm (1.88'') high at heel
Spine at heel is 3.61mm, 0.81 mm near the tip.
Weight is 258g.

Looks like an awesome slicer. But that integral bolster will make the sharpening a bit of PITA in the long run I guess.

More bad pics from me...but hopefully you get the idea.

20141108_133208_zpsucfwkwms.jpg

20141108_133129_zpsyo1pl1ex.jpg

Ordered late Monday night, Shinichi shipped Tuesday and I missed the mailman on Friday--picked it up this morning. :biggrin:

I’ve just bought the knife below. It is a Kōtetsu bunka 170mm. It is made by Takayuki Shibata who is best known as the house sharpener of Masakage. The knife is made at Takefu Village, but as far as I am able to understand, is not part of the Masakage range. The name, Kōtetsu¸ means literally ironclad which was the first ironclad battleship of the Imperial Japanese Navy. On his web site Shibata explains: “The Kōtetsu had a very unusual bow. It looks like my knife. And the Kōtetsu was the first in her class, and she used a pioneering, "cutting-edge" design - just like my knife. The Kōtetsu was formidable - just like my knife. And the Kotetsu was ironclad - somewhat like my knife. My knife is actually steel clad with steel. Inside I put SG-2 stainless powder steel. Outside, I have clad it with stainless steel sides.”

imagegen.ashx

Obviously it’s a cool knife, but when I – for some reason – decided to read more about the Kōtetsu the story turned out to be way more interesting than I had ever expected – not least if you are a Dane (as I happen to be) or an American.

The following is largely copied from Danish and English Wikipidia-sites (if you couldn’t care less about naval history, then don’t read).

Kōtetsu (甲鉄?, literally "Ironclad"), later renamed Azuma (東?, "East") was the first ironclad warship of the Imperial Japanese Navy. The ship, originally named Sphynx, was initially built for the Confederate Navy during the American Civil War by the shipbuilder l'Arman in Bordeaux. However, since France did not want to take sides in the American Civil War, the French government decided to block the sale. Soon an alternative opportunity arose, since Denmark which was at the brink of war with Prussia and Austria wanted to supply its navy with an ironclad ship, and the ship became known as Stærkodder, a legendary, but purely fictional hero/villain character of old Norse mythology. (Stærkodder – or Starkard in old Norse – was a Viking much loved by Odin, but hated by Thor which meant that for all the blessings Odin bestowed upon him, Thor countered with a curse – i.e. when Odin promised him great wealth, Thor responded that no matter how many treasures he was able to gather he would never be satisfied etc., etc. One cannot help but think that Stærkodder was a strange name for a battleship since the character is highly ambivalent – he did great deeds, but was also a simple murderer…) Anyway, the Arman shipyard had great difficulties in finishing the ship, and when it finally arrived in Copenhagen in November 1864 the war with Prussia and Austria was long lost (not a very big surprise to anybody but the Danes). Hence the Danish Navel Ministry was not especially keen on buying the ship and pointed out – quite correctly, it seems – that it was badly build and did not live up to the promised specifications. The Confederation, however, still wanted an ironclad battleship, and a sale to the Confederation was therefore arranged.

On January 6, 1865 the vessel took on a Confederate crew at Copenhagen under the command of Captain T. J. Page, and was named the CSS Stonewall. The arrival of the "formidable" Stonewall in America was dreaded by the Union, and several ships tried to intercept her, among them the USS Kearsarge and the USS Sacramento. Stonewall sprang a leak – as already stated it was badly build – after leaving Quiberon, Brittany and Captain Page steamed her into Spain for repairs. In February and March, USS Niagara and Sacramento kept watch from a distance as Stonewall lay anchored off Corunna during February 1865. On March 24 Captain Page steamed the Stonewall out to sea, challenging the U.S. Navy vessels, which turned and fled, fearful of engaging the ironclad. Finding that the enemy had run, Captain Page steamed for Lisbon, intending to cross the Atlantic Ocean from there and attack at Port Royal, the base of Major General Sherman's attack on South Carolina. Stonewall reached Nassau on May 6, and then sailed on to Havana, Cuba, where Captain Page learned of the war's end. There he decided to turn her over to the Spanish Captain General of Cuba for the sum of $16,000. The vessel was then turned over to United States authorities in return for reimbursement of the same amount. She was temporarily de-commissioned, stationed at a U.S. Navy dock, until she was offered for sale to the Japanese government of the Tokugawa shogunate.

Kōtetsu was supposed to be delivered to the Tokugawa shogunate in 1868, in order to reinforce the ongoing modernization of its army and navy. US$30,000 had already been paid, and the remaining US$10,000 were to be paid on delivery. When the Boshin War between the shogunate and pro-Imperial forces broke out, Western powers took a neutral stance, retrieved any military advisors they had in Japan, and stopped the delivery of military material, including the delivery of Kōtetsu to the shogunate. The ship actually arrived under Japanese flag, but US Resident-Minister Van Valkenburgh ordered her put back under American flag on arrival in Japan under a caretaker crew of the US naval squadron then stationed there. Kōtetsu was finally delivered to the new Meiji government in February 1869. She was immediately put to use and dispatched with seven other steam warships to the northern island of Hokkaidō, to fight the remnant of the Shogun's forces, who were trying to form an independent Ezo Republic there, with the help of French ex-military advisors. On March 25, 1869, in the Naval Battle of Miyako Bay, Kōtetsu successfully repulsed a surprise night attempt at boarding by the rebel Kaiten (spearheaded by survivors from the Shinsengumi), essentially thanks to the presence of a Gatling gun on board. She then participated in the invasion of Hokkaidō and various naval engagements in the Naval Battle of Hakodate Bay. Kōtetsu was renamed Azuma in 1871 and remained in military service until 1888, when she was turned to non-combat harbour service. Kōtetsu was well-armed with casemated rotating turret guns, and considered a "formidable" and "unsinkable" ship in her time. She could sustain direct hits without her armour being pierced, and prevail against any wooden warship.

Ironically the sister ship of the Kōtetsu or Sphynx, the Chepos was later sold to the Prussian Navy and named Prinz Adalbert. Due to its bad build – even worse than the Sphynx/Stækodder/CSS Stonewall/Kōtetsu – it was decommissioned after few years and several leakages.

Having learned that, there was really no turning back, I just had to buy the knife. Is it any good – yes. Do I love it – yes. Because of the knife or because of the story? Who cares – I don’t!

(Sorry for this very long post, but I did warn you…)

Back