Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that 'forgie' is sakai made wide bevel knife in disguise! flat profile it seems. says its heavier (200g). ive like the wide bevel look of those. congrats.

Picked up a Zakuri 210 b#1 to practice wide bevel sharpening / thinning / refinishing before I dare try any DIY on the kochi 240. Got it off rakuten for $60. Came with some scratches in the KU and the F&F on the handle is not stellar. Profile has a too much of an upsweep toward the tip. So not a perfect knife by any means but man is thing going to be informative. And the grind is surprisingly good! Blade would definitely benefit from thinning, but appears to have a lot of potential. I am very pleased overall and looking forward to gaining experience that I will apply toward other knives in the future.

Left side:

jjw8pu.jpg

Right side

2zz6xz9.jpg

Choil:

2yozer9.jpg

Picked up a Zakuri 210 b#1 to practice wide bevel sharpening / thinning / refinishing before I dare try any DIY on the kochi 240. Got it off rakuten for $60. Came with some scratches in the KU and the F&F on the handle is not stellar. Profile has a too much of an upsweep toward the tip. So not a perfect knife by any means but man is thing going to be informative. And the grind is surprisingly good! Blade would definitely benefit from thinning, but appears to have a lot of potential. I am very pleased overall and looking forward to gaining experience that I will apply toward other knives in the future.
Good luck on that one. I never cared for the larger Zakuri profiles, but I love the shorter knives.

I recently posted a choil shot of my funayuki in another thread:
IOzGN6G.jpg

That knife has received quite a bit of TLC...but I really love the outcome so far.

Pillow is old, knife is new (to me). First piece of stainless (western handle no less) in a long, long time.

IMG_0340.jpg

Good luck on that one. I never cared for the larger Zakuri profiles, but I love the shorter knives.

I recently posted a choil shot of my funayuki in another thread:
IOzGN6G.jpg

That knife has received quite a bit of TLC...but I really love the outcome so far.

Is that one of the 165mm funayukis? Might snag one of those too come to think of it

Is that one of the 165mm funayukis? Might snag one of those too come to think of it
135mm. It's pretty thin...the handle is just a slender custom handle from Anton Kudris so the blade looks thicker.

I gave a 150mm as a gift and it was pretty nice, and the 165 could be interesting, but the 135mm is my favorite.

Got this one in a couple of days ago.

IMG_1135_zpszrox9tdj.jpg

IMG_1137_zpsrmis8kty.jpg

IMG_1138_zpsrjui92vv.jpg

IMG_1140_zpsijrpukou.jpg

IMG_1139_zpsvgefsisf.jpg

IMG_1141_zpsqvgenbsn.jpg

Whoa. I completely missed this. Does anyone have a link to the background of this? Is this an "official" revival of the line? Why does it look so much like a wide bevel J-knife?

Forgecraft is/was a dead copyright (warning: I'm no ******* *cough* I mean lawyer *cough* I mean liar).

Some guys from Kamloops, BC, Canada bought the rights to the name (ibid) and contracted some smith in Japan (supposedly a pretty decent one) to make a new knife based off the profile of the original forgecraft knife.

There was a limited run, I think they're all gone but you can google-fu to find out. I think they're going to come out with a less expensive/exclusive version after this if all goes according to plan.

I'm sure the fellow who bought it knows more than I do and will probably correct me on most of this.

There was a thread about it awhile ago, actually I think it was a thread-hijack and then one of the blokes involved showed up and started posting, many people were unhappy about the use of an iconic name being put on a different knife by 'outsiders' ... more or less...

I'm curious to see how it ends up cuttin

Whoa. I completely missed this. Does anyone have a link to the background of this? Is this an "official" revival of the line? Why does it look so much like a wide bevel J-knife?

It's not an official revival. It's trading in on name recognition, and based on data mining on this here forum. But they paid their vendor fees after they got found out, so whatevs I guesssssssss!!!!!

It's not an official revival. It's trading in on name recognition, and based on data mining on this here forum. But they paid their vendor fees after they got found out, so whatevs I guesssssssss!!!!!

I should try to buy one of these. After all, I have a Springfield Armory Mil-Spec pistol. it shoots pretty sweet.

Cheers,

Jack

I should try to buy one of these. After all, I have a Springfield Armory Mil-Spec pistol. it shoots pretty sweet.

Cheers,

Jack

Poor comparison IMO. Springfield isn't calling themselves Colt. Or Sig-Sauer. Or Mossberg. They're calling themselves by their own name.

But yeah- I'd like to try one of these out in the hopes that they at least made a proper knife, regardless of the label/price-tag.

Wow, that looks well sweet

The profile looks (to these eyes) as if it has a nice progressive curve with a 'small' flat spot towards the back/spine area?

Good pics too to catch the hammering - I'm liking that a lot too :)

Enjoy

Got this a few days ago, an impulsive xmas pressie for myself.

One of these months I'm going to have to pick up a knife from Mert myself, lol. Another guy I've been feeling that way about is Robin...the more of these guy's knives I see, the more I have an itch to own one...and I don't own any maker on this board's knives :wink:.

Do these help?

Why thankyou very kindly sir :doublethumbsup: And again, great pics. Loving this line of knives

Looks like the curve continues past the 'flat sweetspot' providing a very slight relief almost at the heel to stop it slamming into the board?

Why thankyou very kindly sir :doublethumbsup: And again, great pics. Loving this line of knives

Looks like the curve continues past the 'flat sweetspot' providing a very slight relief almost at the heel to stop it slamming into the board?

Most welcome.

Definately no 'slamming', it is a very sweet knife.
I do like the height for such a relatively short knife.
Light and agile, I do enjoy it :)

Happy 2016.

Decided the plain wa handle on my....er...my wife's Carter 180 Funiyuki needed an upgrade. I let her pick from my basket of handle goodies and she chose the Afzelia Gatorskin. Sent it off to Ian Rogers for a Kite handle. Added an ancient bog oak ferrule and it came out smashing. Perfect fit and finish and we both love it. I also thinned it a bit and put a kasumi finish on it (the Carter finish is a little too rustic for my taste....). Thanks Ian, your workmanship is unmatched.

IMG_0213.jpg

IMG_0214.jpg

Decided while I was at it to rehandle my recent 180 Kato purchase. For this one I chose curly Mango. Ian put an ancient bog oak ferrule on it. Again, fantastic fit and finish. Really happy with it. Great little cutter and a handle to match now. Has some patina but haven't decided whether to put a kasumi finish on it or not yet. In any case, again many thanks to Ian Rogers of Haburn knives.

IMG_0217.jpg

IMG_0218.jpg

IMG_0220.jpg

Two beauties right there, is the kite handle similar to the higher end stock Hinoura style in terms of X-section (octagon-ish on top, oval-esque on bottom)? I'm just not familiar with the adjective.

I like how the Kato handle looks thicker than the Carter, like it was kept bigger/thicker to better match the blade while the Carter has a lighter and more narrow handle again to match the blade properly.

hi!

here are some pics of my new dalman 210mm(actually 220) Gyutohiki.

http://imgur.com/a/tm84U

performs better than most of my 36 other kitchenknifes

best regards, daniel

Two beauties right there, is the kite handle similar to the higher end stock Hinoura style in terms of X-section (octagon-ish on top, oval-esque on bottom)? I'm just not familiar with the adjective.

Yes, octogonish on top and ovalesque on the bottom. I really like it, very comfortable. Not sure if it's a japanese term or not....my japanese is lacking. I'll ask my daughter (or Ian next time I talk to him). Now I have to decide what to put on the Kato Damascus Gyuto that should be here Tuesday.

I like how the Kato handle looks thicker than the Carter, like it was kept bigger/thicker to better match the blade while the Carter has a lighter and more narrow handle again to match the blade properly.

Yes, Ian has quite a good eye. I supplied the basic wood and let him just do his thing....I think they are pretty much perfect.

yep its reindeer ;)

i really love the clean look of it and the bolster is solid reindeer horn with a slight tapering at the front

Back