Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is quite flat mate, towards the tip, just checked it out, but still a slight curve.

Well, there you go, Rayuela, my correction stands corrected!
I hope the knife is still okay with you, Kev?

They could both live in my Junque drawer. Or on the wall. Or in the block. Or in the roll.

BTW A couple nice Markos went by almost unnoticed. One an excellent chicken killer, both handles look great. Is his maker's mark larger or is it the pic?

There's nothing junk about this DP.

khJ2kGu.jpg

Merts knives are on the same level with Burke and Rader fit and finish and performance.

They could both live in my Junque drawer. Or on the wall. Or in the block. Or in the roll.

BTW A couple nice Markos went by almost unnoticed. One an excellent chicken killer, both handles look great. Is his maker's mark larger or is it the pic?

Did notice Dave. Love the handles.
The makers mark did look a tad larger, but I'm not sure.

I don't agreed with some of you guys, I love Dan work more than some other super Smiths are members here. He his forging his knives, given to them special touch and every single one it s different to another!!
Plus they are great cutter so for me are perfect, I am a chef so I using my knife and knives are meant to be used.

I think that pandas comment, as it stands, can be treated with the respect that it so thoroughly deserves.
Karnstein had the courtesy to explain himself.

I like it, lots.
If it works for you, that's what important anyway... Won't argue with that and like I said: The quality of the picture isn't helping. For example it's hard to tell how well the handle is made, because its dark tone and the underexposed pretty much kills the details. Compared with the one Aphex for example...sure' doesn't look like crap. Rough yes, badly done ? No...

By the way: I wouldn't have never phrased my description of the knife in the same way panda has done, because I thinks it a bit harsh and discourteous. Saying it simply looks like some kind of practice knife isn't the same (at least in my opinion) as saying it looks like crap or junk. I mean looking like a practice knife isn't a bad thing, as long as it cuts well. Other way round would be worse... knife that's polished, but cuts abysmally.

Alterwisser also made a good comparison: Tritz is a knife maker in Germany and he only works with his own muscle power. I had the pleasure to use one of his knives from a fellow German knifegeek at a small gathering. Similar rough looking style, but it had great food release for such a slim knife and cut really well. Not a knife I personally would spend my money on, because the philosophy behind the appearance isn't my style, but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate the work that went into creating it and I can thus understand, why its owner will never part with it. Different folks, different strokes...

By the way: I wouldn't have never phrased my description of the knife in the same way panda has done, because I thinks it a bit harsh and discourteous. Saying it simply looks like some kind of practice knife isn't the same (at least in my opinion) as saying it looks like crap or junk. I mean looking like a practice knife isn't a bad thing, as long as it cuts well. Other way round would be worse...

I think your meaning was quite clear in what you wrote, and that's fine, you are entitled to your opinions, but back pedalling like this is just undignified.

I think your meaning was quite clear in what you wrote, and that's fine, you are entitled to your opinions, but back pedalling like this is just undignified.

Jesus... good, that you have the ability to look into my head and know when I'm back pedalling or not... Keep in mind, I wasn't the one that called it crap. Please reread the first two sentences of my first comment and then think again:

"Well, I kinda agree with him, at least when it comes to the DP. Okay, the picture isn't the best and that may skew the impression."

Kind of agree with him isn't the same as saying "Yes, that knife if utter crap, what kind of idiot is that D.P that he sells such stuff"...

But hey, guess which language isn't my native one and then be so kind and allow for the possibility that some things may get lost in translation. Which means I'm not back pedalling, I'm just rephrasing something that didn't seem to came across exactly as intended.

Peace...I know that you use a blacksmithing process and not do stock removal, but the picture IS kind of bad and yes on THAT one it looks exactly like the kind of test/practice knife sharpchef has made for himself (who is a prof. chef and an amateur/hobby smith) and shown in this topic some weeks ago. Compare it with the one from Aphex and than it is not hard to understand, how people may come up with such an impression.

Some people like the more "unfinished or rougher" looks, some don't. I think it's intended and I'm 100% convinced that Dan could make them look shiny and sparkly and all like some other makers.

I remember some people complaining about how bad the fit and finish on Andy Billipps knives are... going all out with detailed pics and ripping his knives apart. That to me proves that a lot of this stuff is subjective, and a matter of taste. Some people like fancy colorful dyed Burl for handles, even on a Damascus blade. I think it's hideous. But that's my personal taste. To each its own...

I'm sure the knife cuts well. The rest is just a matter of taste...

On my knife being described as crap;

Well, I kinda agree with him, at least when it comes to the DP.

On my talents as a bladesmith;

But the knife itself looks like it has been made by someone during a blacksmithing course, who either ran into some serious time issues or didn't have much talent

And this, this is back pedalling;

By the way: I wouldn't have never phrased my description of the knife in the same way panda has done, because I thinks it a bit harsh and discourteous.

You wrote it, it doesn't mean you can't change your mind, but it does mean you need to own it.
Anyway, this is very petty and I'm making myself look unprofessional getting involved at all.

This one just came in. Forgive me for copying Mareko's photo style.
p522cFI.jpg

Not quite sure what the deal is but I believe the DP's to look quite interesting/unique and something I'd really like to try. I really like the forged look...makes it look totally badass imo!

The forged scale stuff that roughly demarcates where the hamon line is is cool
Handle ergonomics is delightful (speaking about the western integral version)
Crazy distal taper

Totally sweet Maumasi! Both him and Haburn are killing it on the patterned integrals in my opinion. I'm just sad my bank account is too low right now to justify trying to buy an example of either.

As to the running "controversy", I really dig both the Prendergast and Tansu gyutos pictured. The Tansu doesn't look "fancy" instead business-like, but as a chef I bet he makes them to be really high performers. I love seeing the pics of the new shop and equipment, it makes me drool, LOL.

As for the Prendergast, I would say it has a rustic handmade charm. Some people don't go for that, and that's cool. And I don't even feel that it's a matter of "wabi sabi", I think it's really cool to plainly see that you've got a one of a kind artisan handmade knife. :doublethumbsup:

I wonder why Andy's rough forged knines are so appreciated...whereas this one of Dan's seems to be getting little love.

If I were you guys...at those prices...I'd jump on them. I know what it takes to make them, and they're being literally given away.

I wonder why Andy's rough forged knines are so appreciated...whereas this one of Dan's seems to be getting little love.

If I were you guys...at those prices...I'd jump on them. I know what it takes to make them, and they're being literally given away.

I have never used a Billipp, but everyone who has one apparently loves it. I personally like the looks a lot, as you can tell from my frantic tries to buy one (BST)...

I'm sure at this point Marc thinks I'm a lunatic stalker, given that I always comment about wanting to buy one of his Billipps...

Looking forward to my DP for sure, bought the one from the PNW gathering cutting competition. And i for one wish it would have one of his handles, not the generic wa handle...

I have never used a Billipp, but everyone who has one apparently loves it. I personally like the looks a lot, as you can tell from my frantic tries to buy one (BST)...

I'm sure at this point Marc thinks I'm a lunatic stalker, given that I always comment about wanting to buy one of his Billipps...

Looking forward to my DP for sure, bought the one from the PNW gathering cutting competition. And i for one wish it would have one of his handles, not the generic wa handle...

I betcha he'd rehandle it if you covered the costs ;)

On my knife being described as crap;

On my talents as a bladesmith;

And this, this is back pedalling;

You wrote it, it doesn't mean you can't change your mind, but it does mean you need to own it.
Anyway, this is very petty and I'm making myself look unprofessional getting involved at all.

Not at all mate.

No offense intended (or taken!) but there is no double flat spot.
Or there shouldn't be, anyway.
Kev?

Whatever the case, my knives come with a comprehensive guarantee, including against buyer's remorse, so in the case that it does not meet expectations it can be returned without quibble.

For those not aware of the difficulties of forging a blade and giving a distal taper in the mean time ; it's lot harder than getting a 3mm steel and grinding some from the tip off , you are a stand up guy Dan , good service on warranties too although you may want to add "against trolls " along with buyers remorse

Thx Daveb - looks like I picked the wrong time to post a pic of new knives ... next time I will read the threads just before I intend on posting ... will compare his mark to a couple others I have and get back to me ... don't believe it is any bigger though ... probably camera crap ...

For those not aware of the difficulties of forging a blade and giving a distal taper in the mean time ; it's lot harder than getting a 3mm steel and grinding some from the tip off , you are a stand up guy Dan , good service on warranties too although you may want to add "against trolls " along with buyers remorse

:goodpost:

Back