Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Handle is 🔥 🔥 🔥
20200418_143000.jpg

View attachment 91144View attachment 91142
Watanabe 180mm suji/petty. despite reading all the memes/discussion about who actually makes these knives, after cooking one meal i was super impressed/happy with its performance.

I have the 150 mm Wat petty- know exactly what you mean

I have never however got a clear read on whether Wat makes his own knives or farms it out - in any event. The knives are great

52FCC149-742A-4C37-BA94-205376406A38.jpeg
B4F7E6AC-BD5C-4071-8F01-17C702CF64F5.jpeg
11447FDA-9A3A-44C5-86F8-00951FB2BDF4.jpeg

Giant 'sakimaru style' slicer by ABS Master Smith “M.S.” Michael Rader @rader_blade with saya by @common_trade and sheath by @lpmotifs … all I can say is wow!

Knife is 52100 steel with integral bolster and 14” blade length from heel to tip, copper/G10 Spacer, 2-tone Honduran Rosewood burl handle. There are a few more pictures here:

Back in the saddle ... after a several month “moratorium” on buying knives as Covid-19 decimated my stock portfolio, things got sufficiently better that I returned to buying. In late December 2019 I learned that Alex Horn and Jim Chopp we’re leaving Murray Carter‘s tutelege and setting up their own shop. Great idea ... quit your job and set up a new business in the midst of the greatest pandemic in a hundred years. I had been following Horn’s knives for a couple of years but ha never actually bought one. I moved quickly to cure that and picked up a “Horn Kitchen Knife” listed on Carter‘s site. It was beautifully etched in what I believed was a coffee etch. That was confirmed to a degree by finding that Horn carefully followed Mareko Maumasi who was indeed developing a coffee etch. I found three more of Horn’s coffee? Etched knives on Carter‘s site. Knowing that it might be a very long time, if ever, before one of Horn’s knives came again on the market, I tried to buy all three knives from Carter‘s. In the midst of the buying back and forth the knives disappeared from Carter‘s site. I was seriously bummed but there it was ... they were gone. As luck would have it I was scanning the District Cutlery site a month or so later and there they were. All three in their resplendent coffee etched glory. I dialed Phil at District Cutlery and made a deal for the three on the spot. He is truly a great guy to deal with.

Yesterday I got to thinking that I’d do a lamb shoulder roast fire a few friends and use one of my new Horn’s for prep.

Here’s A few pics ...

5817927C-2D66-4C90-9175-B452CE1C8A96.jpeg
814118E8-D69A-4183-BD82-9DC996B90168.jpeg
2299819D-C881-411C-998B-9BDFBE48884F.jpeg
3CDAE5F4-C1DE-4F1F-9CC2-EF3358E8218F.jpeg

It’s a perfect prep knife. Blade length 175mm, edge length 165mm, height 44mm, thickness at handle 2.08mm, weight 135gms. Following Carter’s philosophy it has been forged extremely thin. It has a slight convex grind and a blade profile that I like very much. Best of all it has Horn’s very attractive coffee etch. When I talked to the staff at Carter‘s they referred to Alex as their resident “mad scientist”. One thing that I really like is that the blade was forge laminated rather than being chopped from a blank of pre-laminated steel. Old school counts a lot to me. Anyway the knife was a delight to use in prepping materials for my lamb shoulder roast. Out of the box the knife is blistering sharp! I had to be careful with my push chopping weight to keep from penetrating the hardwood cutting board.

The best news ... against all odds Alex Horn and Jim Chopp established their new business. Check them out on Instagram. Knives are flowing. From all accounts Alex is “ready to rumble”. Stay tuned for damascus wonders, etched beauties and all around amazing hand made products. My prediction ... Alex Horn has a wonderful future ahead of him as a knife maker. You will never see one of his knives for sale from my collection.

There are a few KKF members that I have great respect for and who have become my friends marc4pt0 is one of those people. While chatting a while back I happened to mention to Marc that I was ending my moratorium and returning to the knife buying business. Marc queried whether I had a Jiro in my collection. I replied I didn’t and that I would be interested when and if one came up. Marc offered a custom Jiro made for Marc, Jiro #65, and I bought it. Truthfully I would probably buy and of Marc’s knives just because he thought enough of them to buy them in the first instance. One of the “custom“ aspects of the knife was extended and gorgeous Kanji engraved on both sides of the blade. It has a wonderful tagaysan western style handle. The core steel is White #1with a soft iron cladding and a tsuchime finish on the blade. It is a substantial knife tapering quickly from 6mm at the root to fractions of a mm close to the tip. A nice convex grind and pleasing (to me) blade shape. The blade length is 241mm and edge length 236mm. Height at the heel is 51mm. The knife balances beautifully in a pinch grip with the engraved kanji forming a nice rest for thumb and fore finger. I decided to use the Jiro to carve a lamb shoulder that I was preparing for a few friends yesterday. Here’s a few pics.

A0FD084F-E251-4837-AB47-827CAC5BD4C9.jpeg
840350AB-2FE4-4427-A4D4-8F8AF27F8BAA.jpeg
302FE6FA-4B0E-4E38-B72D-475369F4FDB6.jpeg
C6691CD5-D885-42CD-8767-090686AF1ADF.jpeg
32004275-1230-4546-877B-DDECEF13263A.jpeg
240850A4-7716-4468-BFF2-053950355934.jpeg

The lamb was a big hit ... although a bit over cooked for my taste. My guests were from the “not so much as a drop of pink drippings club”. No matter ... the Jiro was an absolute hit with me. I get it why Jiro has such a following. There is something different, and pleasing, about it in comparison to most other gyutos I own. In some respects closer to some of the knives from western makers that I own, but at the same time Japanese through and through.

Honestly Marc was crazy to let it go from his collection and he’s never getting it back .... unless he asks nicely and offers one of his Billips in trade.

Thanks! I’ve always liked Rader’s western integral handles, so I was glad he was willing to use the single block of Honduran rosewood burl (instead of his multi-piece with inlay); the 2 tone kind of matches the additional piece toward the hook/butt end of the handle. This style is sort of the curved blade with upswept tip similar to scimitar, but I asked Michael to try and make it more like a long slicer. I pulled a wagyu tomahawk out of the freezer and can’t wait to do a reverse sear and try the knife out!
7B68C058-4AD8-41C9-9639-3194EB63BAD7.jpeg

Now that is one sweet knife! No matter how many knives I own there’s always one more that I “have” to have!

Absolutely awesome and what a way to welcome a great knife to the family. I can’t wait to see the cooked and carved pics. FWIW, I’ve been doing a reverse sear on my steaks by “baking” to 90-91F then searing on an ultra hot carbon pan. I love the technique. Anova just released a counter top Combi oven that should make the reverse sear a one step process. I have one on order and can’t wait to give it a test flight.

ill try to post in the “what’s cooking” thread, I saw the preorder email for the Anova oven and was tempted (love the circulator), but unfortunately the oven is too tall to fit under my upper kitchen cabinets with the light valance installed (plus then I’d have a breville smart oven in need of a new home).

Absolutely awesome and what a way to welcome a great knife to the family. I can’t wait to see the cooked and carved pics. FWIW, I’ve been doing a reverse sear on my steaks by “baking” to 90-91F then searing on an ultra hot carbon pan. I love the technique. Anova just released a counter top Combi oven that should make the reverse sear a one step process. I have one on order and can’t wait to give it a test flight.

Thanks very much. It is also the view from my kitchen sink which I enjoy every day. It is the view of San Juan Island in the USA across the Straight of Juan de Fuca from Victoria, B.C. for those interested in trivia it is also the site of the great Canadian-American Pig War. British and American troops landed on the Island in a declared war between the two countries in which it is said (by the Canadians) the Americans stole the San Juan Islands from Canada. The truth is buried in the annals of time, but it makes for a great view.

I snagged a Hiromoto AS 270, and I sent it out to Lucas Gumbiner for a custom handle. The handle is spalted curly maple with black pins, a super comfy coke bottle shape, a nice 3 layer liner/spacer, and a handmade leather saya. With all the black going on, I decided to do a polished hairline finish with an etched core.

ePGMxh3.jpg

zUwL6M9.jpg

lolHLtB.jpg

JQSOrPk.jpg

0GvC1Hk.jpg

0IcDDVR.jpg

I snagged a Hiromoto AS 270, and I sent it out to Lucas Gumbiner for a custom handle. The handle is spalted curly maple with black pins, a super comfy coke bottle shape, a nice 3 layer liner/spacer, and a handmade leather saya. With all the black going on, I decided to do a polished hairline finish with an etched core.

ePGMxh3.jpg

zUwL6M9.jpg

lolHLtB.jpg

JQSOrPk.jpg

0GvC1Hk.jpg

0IcDDVR.jpg

Great looking knife and the handle is sophisticated and modern and classic at the same time

Back