Shun Alternatives (or knives around $100)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Honestly, if you're willing to get into the $150 range, I would focus less on quality of steel vs. craftsmanship and get right to performance, i.e. geometry, cutting ability. No matter how good the steel is, if it's not a well designed knife, it won't cut well.

At your price range, I would consider the Gesshin Uraku or Suisin Western Stainless at Japanese Knife Imports. While I haven't tried these specific knives, I do have an Uraku Deba that I really enjoy using, and I've been happy with every single purchase from them. I would recommend giving Jon a call tomorrow (they're closed today). And, you're going to get great customer service from Jon who's in California. You may not get good customer service if you buy from the other vendors that sell the knives you listed.

:plus1: completely

thank you for the review on the masazumi. been waiting around for that one.

=D

sounds good to me.

thank you for the review on the masazumi. been waiting around for that one.

=D

sounds good to me.
I think it really is a great knife for the money and would take it over a tojiro or fujiwara every day.

I think it really is a great knife for the money and would take it over a tojiro or fujiwara every day.

sounds like a great option. will definitely put it on my list of wants. too bad the knife type selection is limited. wouldn't mind getting a suji and a honesuki in that price as well. carbonext will be that then, if i get to settle a "deal" with the local customs officer. lol.

Back