Shun blue steel Kiritsuke

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
really, i cant tell if the op was interested in the shun because a) it has a kiritsuke tip or b) its made of blue steel or c) its stainless cladding
i listed knives with better track records and in the case of zakuri and itinomonn much better customer support and that are much cheaper
i think you will find plenty of skepticism around here concerning shuns heat treat track record and inherent difficulty in sharpening both its vg10 lines and sg2 lines. FWIW, i sharpen knives from both of these steels by this maker for my friends all the time, it can be done, but as a knife knut i must say i dont enjoy it. but if that isnt the case with this blue steel line, well then good for you guys maybe shun is taking a step in the right direction.
if you want a stainless clad, blue steel, kiritsuke tipped, massed produced chef knife that comes with a saya for $249 then please by all means accept no other substitute and go with the shun blue steel. I was only attempting to demonstrate there are other fish in the sea.

No need to get testy. And it wasn't me that attempted to derail the OP's initial inquiry with the defacto "I think Shun sucks because too many people own them so buy this esoteric brand instead" response one typically sees around here.

And since I'm not overly familiar with the "heat treat track record" of the Shuns, perhaps you could provide more detail in terms of why the heat treat issue is such a problem that you would dissuade the OP from looking at the product in question and going with another brand. (As a side inquiry, is this "heat treat" issue that you specify the reason why Shun went to the VG Max steel versus it's original Takefu VG-10? Would this "heat treat issue" adversely affect their blue steel offerings in the same manner as you feel it affects their VG-10 and SG2 knives? I haven't seen a white paper or other such things from Shun in terms of their methodology of tempering their blades, so if you could provide some insight to this perhaps it would help the OP in determining if this knife is the correct choice for their use. What procedure do they use for their previous VG-10 products that is so bad and is it the same method used on this newer "Blue" line?)

Or is it simply a sharpening issue that you have with the Shun's steel? Do you use natural stones or synthetics when you sharpen? I've found that synthetics such as the Shapton Glass stones that I use don't have much of a problem in sharpening the powdered steel blades or the higher hardness stainless stuff such as VG-10. I do know that my Miyabi with VG-10 steel is "different" in terms of how it feels/works on a stone versus my Shuns, but I am not familiar with the differences in the tempering procedure between the two makers. I also feel that there is a difference in terms of ease of sharpening as well as subsequent edge holding between the Shun steels that I have (two listed as "Cobalt MV Steel", two listed as "VG-10 Clad" and one listed as "VG Max.") Perhaps it is simply a natural progression in terms of a product and it's growth based on a time based application in a real world environment.

For the price, the knife in question (Shun Blue Kiritsuke) seems to be a pretty decent product all things considered. Obviously there is a plethora of alternatives in aogami #2 steel (not to mention #1 and AS) if you were simply to include all gyuto type knifes, but when you get into the kiritsuke style, you are going to be limiting your choices. Takeda and Moritaka offer them in AS, Suisin has one in an Inox Honyaki and another in shirogami #1 (that Densho 240 kiritsuke at JKI is hella nice), but all of those are in the $300 and going up quickly price range.

While the Shun seems to be a pretty decent offering all things considered, if the OP wanted another option, the Takayuki stuff is nice. The 17 layer Damascus Kiritsuke they have uses VG-10 and is a double bevel similar to the Shun with a street price of approximately $190.:

7233.jpg

No need to get testy. And it wasn't me that attempted to derail the OP's initial inquiry with the defacto "I think Shun sucks because too many people own them so buy this esoteric brand instead" response one typically sees around here.

The reason many (not just here) do not like Shun for is far different from what you have listed... First it's not viewed as a very good value. You can almost always find something better in the same price range. Next is the profile is typically German (far more belly and heft), it just happens to be made in Japan. Lastly their steel is not that great, chips and feels like crap on the stones.

Keep in mind their are exceptions, their pairing knife is well reviewed.

You're taking this way too personally. Please realize that I'm not condemning shuns by any means. I do not know the ends and outs of heat treating but I do know heat treats indeed vary from maker to maker and there is better feeling vg10 on the market along with sg2. Ill have to check next time i sharpen some of the shuns at work, but i highly doubt vgmax or whatever is any easier to sharpen. By better I mean they feel better on the stones. Clearly your very happy with your shun blue and I'm happy for you. I never implied shuns suck because too many people own them. I'm simply urging the OP to consider all his options. This a forum for discussion, where people can share their experiences with one another and that in a nutshell is simply what I'm doing, hence the "my 2 cents". The perfect knife for one person isn't going to be the perfect knife for everyone, all I did is explain why I wouldn't buy a shun blue steel atleast until I tried it, beyond that I admitted I haven't tried it yet so clearly I'm basing my point of view with past experiences with shun, THUS ADMITTING my own ignorance of the shun blue steel line.
Again, it's not about you or me, lets focus on the knife and move this conversation forward.

The reason many (not just here) do not like Shun for is far different from what you have listed... First it's not viewed as a very good value. You can almost always find something better in the same price range. Next is the profile is typically German (far more belly and heft), it just happens to be made in Japan. Lastly their steel is not that great, chips and feels like crap on the stones.

Keep in mind their are exceptions, their pairing knife is well reviewed.

The boning knife they make in their classic line is actually quite nice as well. I love the shape of that knife. I would like to eventually get a vendor here to make me one in a better steel with ta very similar shape.

Hi

You have a link for somewhere i can look at buying one of these ?

While the Shun seems to be a pretty decent offering all things considered, if the OP wanted another option, the Takayuki stuff is nice. The 17 layer Damascus Kiritsuke they have uses VG-10 and is a double bevel similar to the Shun with a street price of approximately $190.:

OOps

It seems to be listed as a yanagiba, therefore im assuming a single bevel, is that correct ?

I like the profile and the hammered damascus

Im just looking for good stainless kiritsuke shape as a workhorse knife, i have lots of other things and im also looking for a new high end special knife

Back