SIH commentary

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dardeau

Reaction score
Since I can't stick this in the BST threads, I'll start a new one.

Seriously, I could do every part of my job with the three SIH knives that listed today. It's strange how well the sizes and shapes complement each other.

If I was going for the full minimalist, low maintenance kit it would be these three knives and the Gesshin 1/6k diamond set, and a decent S and G low stone. I could probably be very satisfied with that set up.

The handles are so doggone sexy too. I prefer "basic" handles and IMO the SIH are some of the best out there. Love the look and feel of them.

Suisin inox honayki?

That would be correct.

I had a 240 Gyuto, liked it a lot. Beautiful Stefan handle. Never met a task it could not do.

Fast forward to July 3rd. An accident with a speeding, weaving crack head (or meth head - don't really know the difference), totaled my truck. Tow truck driver took the truck to "the yard". Later was looking for knife and remembered seeing it on the floor of the back seat and thinking I need to put that knife back in my bag.

Of course tow truck driver never saw it, yard guy never saw it, insurance adjuster never saw it and most importantly I've not seen it since and have no expectation to do so. Shed a tear for that puppy and replacing it with another or a Ginga or a Tad is high on my list..

I believe that Devin Thomas used the SiH as a starting point for his ITK shapes.

I picked up the 210 gyuto recently, really comfortable knife in hand, love the way it ground.

That would be correct.

I had a 240 Gyuto, liked it a lot. Beautiful Stefan handle. Never met a task it could not do.

Fast forward to July 3rd. An accident with a speeding, weaving crack head (or meth head - don't really know the difference), totaled my truck. Tow truck driver took the truck to "the yard". Later was looking for knife and remembered seeing it on the floor of the back seat and thinking I need to put that knife back in my bag.

Of course tow truck driver never saw it, yard guy never saw it, insurance adjuster never saw it and most importantly I've not seen it since and have no expectation to do so. Shed a tear for that puppy and replacing it with another or a Ginga or a Tad is high on my list..

what a tragic story! I love my SiH....my first jKnife that wasn't in the entry-level bracket....and my second jKnife ever...still love that thing. makes me smile everytime I pick it up, then have to look to make sure it's actually in my hand b/c it's so light. It's my response to non-Knerds who talk about how a knife should have "heft"....always shuts them the hell up.

Their single bevels are the shizz too, I have knyfeknerds old mioroshi, a 180, and an usuba on the way. The 210 petty is my favorite raw scallop knife of all time. I had a beautiful 210? too with a Stefan handle that I'm hoping has a good home. Really fantastic knives and always seem to make it into my bag when I can only grab a couple

DaveB! I didn't know you lost that awesome SIH in your wreck. That truly sucks! I have fond memories of you letting me borrow that baby.

I still have my SIH Kama 'Suba...unbelievable knife.

I will get me a 270 gyuto one of these days!

I've never tried one, and I definately feel like I'm missing out.
I'm always a little wary of Monosteel single bevels, but I can see a 210 petty in my future.

I really wanted a set of INOX Honyaki knives but at the time Knife System Co. was unable to communicate on an ETA. After six months of being told "when it's done" and needing knives I went instead with Nenohi's Wa-Ryouba line of knives. I'm very happy with the Nenohis, but deep down inside I still want SIHs.

Let me ask you guys a question on sharpening SIH. How you guys minimize scratches when sharpening? The OOB edge wasn't that great, so I took it to stones to touch it up, already have some fine scratches on the left side cause of the relatively flat grind. Anythings you guys do to minimize scratches, or do you just polish it out after?

Most of mine, not just SIH, have a bit of a "lived in" look. If for any reason I want to pretty one up I'll usually start with stones to get scratches out, give up shortly thereafter and get out the micro mesh.

That's pretty much why I switched to wide bevels. In addition to having excellent food release, I like the way they touch up and stay nice through thinning and sharpening.

That's one reason I haven't got one of these. If you're careful, you can just put on/maintain the edge, but you'll still probably mess up and, with the rule that you should thin as you go too (okay, these are thin already, but still you need to thin eventually), you're bound to scratch it. My knives also look lived in, but I still hope in a nice way some/most of the time, but if you've got the stratches on a SIH then you'll want polish at some point, and then it won't look great unless you do other parts of the blade for uniformity, and then have the printed on logo to contend with.

You know, it's funny. Most of my knives look live in, especially my Mac, cause I used it for over 10 years, and my wife chips it once a while so it thinned it a couple of times, and experimented with it for sharpening. I don't mind it that much on the other knives, but there's something about putting scratches on a new knife and makes me feel kinda... well not good. I guess I'll get over it at some point. :) Need to get me more wide bevels, just 2 more months for my Heiji. :D

scratches on your knife means it actually gets used, not sit in a drawer without a purpose. not a fan of lasers or machi gaps :D but i see why the SIH are well regarded, love their handles too.

Latest posts

Back