Media Six months later

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wish I could get instructed in how to do that. Also wish I had access to fish like that. Double bummed.

-AJ

I am instructing you on how to do that.....

Only a single bummer then.

:D

Just out of sheer curiosity, but how many salmon would you say you've broken down in the last six months to get to that level of skill?

Gahhh hard to say... Some weeks 2 or 3, some weeks 8 or more. Lets say on the low average 3 per week then. Maybe 72-80 since then by now. But I've had it down for about 5 months now. I'm sort of a quick study.

Seems like you pretty much have it on lock down.

Do you ever cut from the tail end? I don't argue that it matters for larger fish on hot line, but still I enjoyed getting into the habit.

Bill, you might want to ask Craig, as he was mentioning a good market for fresh fish in the Philadelphia area. Also, is there a Restaurant Depot near you? The one near me had whole salmon yesterday and today, plus whole rockfish and a couple other smaller while fish (changes daily).

Bill, there's http://hellersseafood.com/ Heller's Seafood not far from you. They're much more fresh than supermarkets, which get their fish pre-cut.

My guess is Hellers gets their fish from Samuels and Son right off 95 in the food distributor district in Philly. They literally have tons of the freshest fish in the area at true wholesale prices. Just call ahead and order, otherwise the wait can be pretty long. Get on their email list for daily and monthly specials.

Look at the bottom left for whole verlasso and king salmon on sale today.

http://archive.constantcontact.com/fs068/1103648265095/archive/1110251339552.html

I might be going there today to pick up some lobsters.

And Theory did a terrific job breaking down a large salmon at the ECG in not the best conditions. He's a natural at explaining what he's doing and why. Thanks to Chris for cooking them up perfectly.

i went to hellers once years ago and forgot all about it .. thanks.. check out linda beans lobsters approx$ 200 per dozen shipping included. i ordered for christmas eve and for my recent birthday. very happy both times alive and kicking they were.

And Theory did a terrific job breaking down a large salmon at the ECG in not the best conditions. He's a natural at explaining what he's doing and why. Thanks to Chris for cooking them up perfectly.

I missed his demo (even though I was only 10' away at the time talking) but I didn't miss the cooked results which was AWESOME! Both Robin and myself loved the salmon and did our fair share of consumption. :doublethumbsup:

I am instructing you on how to do that.....

Only a single bummer then.

:D

Kind of. I don't know what or why you are doing what you do. Other than cleaning bluegills and filleting a few bass as a kid, I've never really worked with fish. When I was in school we were of course supposed to be taught breaking down fish but it snowed and two weeks of school got cancelled and I never have had the opportunity to learn it since. One day in my future I will learn.

-AJ

Kind of. I don't know what or why you are doing what you do. Other than cleaning bluegills and filleting a few bass as a kid, I've never really worked with fish. When I was in school we were of course supposed to be taught breaking down fish but it snowed and two weeks of school got cancelled and I never have had the opportunity to learn it since. One day in my future I will learn.

-AJ

I can try and annotate the film for you on my day off. Maybe that can be of some help.

Back