Sling/Shoulder/Crossbody Bag Recommendations

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chang

Gay for Gyutos
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kicking myself for not jumping on that bag @fortheloveofmoar had for sale…

Sad Winter Solstice GIF by Fia Oruene

Anyways, my fellow kings and queens, y’all got any good crossbody bag recommendations? I’m currently using this one:

https://a.co/d/1lWliMX
Aesthetically, it ticks all my boxes, love a nice camo jawn, and the size is just right. But the strap loves to loosen up from the slightest twitch and then it’ll fling to my side if I bend down, which irks my soul, especially when I have to do something like crouching down to open a cellar door or leaning down to give some head.

time GIF

SO, y’all got anything for me?

Tombhin is great, very reputable.

I (obviously) like Aer. Very solid choice. Other stand out options that I've looked into are:
-Bellroy
-Alpaka
-Waterfield designs (I actually have this one motorcycle sling) - I like it because it has the pad that stops it from sliding around during... activities.
-peak designs makes some Nice ones - but more focused on photography than life style
-timbuk 2
-evergoods
-Chrome industries
-Code of Bell (X-Pod specifically is one I really considered)
-Heimplanet (another one I considered)
-Lululemon (like their pants, but I refuse to get their sling bag).

Personally I think my top bags would be (in no particular order)
Bellroy, Aer, Waterfield (pricier and specifically to Moto one), Evergoods, Tohmbin, and Code of bell - specifically the X-pod)

All the one's ive listed are high reputable and put work into their designs so its just about figuring out what configuration you like (or don't)

I got the evergoods hip pack - because you can wear as a sling and a crossbody. I found that the crossbody when packed out becomes too heavy and it really digs into my shoulder so I like the option of going hip or crossbody. It's also pretty large (being a father of a toddler) I carry napkins, wipes, hand sanitizer, bandaids, etc) so it's easy to access and carry 'round.

Last edited:
Tombhin is great, very reputable.

I (obviously) like Aer. Very solid choice. Other stand out options that I've looked into are:
-Bellroy
-Alpaka
-Waterfield designs (I actually have this one motorcycle sling) - I like it because it has the pad that stops it from sliding around during... activities.
-peak designs makes some Nice ones - but more focused on photography than life style
-timbuk 2
-evergoods
-Chrome industries
-Code of Bell (X-Pod specifically is one I really considered)
-Heimplanet (another one I considered)
-Lululemon (like their pants, but I refuse to get their sling bag).

Personally I think my top bags would be (in no particular order)
Bellroy, Aer, Waterfield (pricier and specifically to Moto one), Evergoods, Tohmbin, and Code of bell - specifically the X-pod)

All the one's ive listed are high reputable and put work into their designs so its just about figuring out what configuration you like (or don't)

I got the evergoods hip pack - because you can wear as a sling and a crossbody. I found that the crossbody when packed out becomes too heavy and it really digs into my shoulder so I like the option of going hip or crossbody. It's also pretty large (being a father of a toddler) I carry napkins, wipes, hand sanitizer, bandaids, etc) so it's easy to access and carry 'round.
Wow, I just have to say, what a thorough answer 👏👏

Peak design makes the best cross body bags I have ever used. I have the charcoal gray in 3l, 5l, and 10l. I carry a small camera, day to day things and other things in them .

'Best crossbody bag' sounds to me like 'best bicycle without a saddle'; the product is inherently flawed...

Honestly, I didn't grab one yet... mostly because of the holidays just thrashing me during work and at home

queen sugar charley GIF by OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network

but I have been peeking back in this thread every now and then, and I think I'm leaning towards that Waterfield Designs moto sling. Wish they did something for Black Friday/Cyber Monday....just a measly free wallet if ya spend $250+

Half Baked Boo GIF

I use a bag from Chrome. It’s a tough bag. My wife borrowed it for Paris and I almost didn’t get it back.
I wish I got the black one. Mine is the small bag, and it’s huge enough.
image.jpg

-peak designs makes some Nice ones - but more focused on photography

One vote for Peak… Got the medium (6L) sling for my birthday and I’ve been quite happy with it – fits one 50/1.8 and one R8 + 24–240 nicely.

The 3L and 6L switch to hip mode, see entertaining product video.

https://www.peakdesign.com/products/everyday-sling
The 10L would be big enough for computer + 210mm Gyuto + saya + SG2000 + Atoma 140, comfortably.

For those times when you’re on a hike but you need to take that Zoom call on your laptop but the only place open is an English pub serving a full Sunday roast but you need to slice it yourself but first your knife needs touching up but first the stone needs flattening.

Last edited:
I was turned on to M-Tac Tactical Bags years ago by a Navy Corpsman. They have a number of different designs and sizes. The one I have can hold a 13" Mac-Book Pro or a 12.9" iPad Pro, and your iPhone, plus just about everything else, The Navy Corpsmen stashed his 1911A1 in his with 2 magazines. I call mine my "possibles bag" an old Mountainman term.
https://m-tac.us/collections/bags

Why not a conventional backpack? Double the straps, double the comfort...

Why not a conventional backpack? Double the straps, double the comfort...
Simple answer. Because you can’t swing a backpack around to access the pack without taking it off. The same reason bike messengers don’t use backpacks except for very large loads…

Simple answer. Because you can’t swing a backpack around to access the pack without taking it off. The same reason bike messengers don’t use backpacks except for very large loads…
But you can? Just undo one strap and swing it around. Works fine as long as it's not a 20 kg pack.
Over here all the bike messengers actually wear backpacks.

Sorry, I just can’t picture how you access a backpack without taking it off, but you do you.

But you can? Just undo one strap and swing it around. Works fine as long as it's not a 20 kg pack.
Over here all the bike messengers actually wear backpacks.
I get what you're saying, but it is actually a lot easier and smoother to swing the bag around when its a sling vs two straps

Backpack:
  1. take off one strap
  2. reach around
  3. pull to the front
Sling:
  1. pull to the front

alright, I've narrowed it down to 3 so I might need some help:

Evergoods Mountain Hip Pack

Code of Bell X-Pod 2 (S)

Waterfield Hip Sling Bag (was leaning towards the Moto Sling, but I don't like that it's a front wear only)

*side note: there was a barely used X-Pod on ebay and I missed the listing by like $1* 😢
lol. Yep I got both the evergoods and moto sling.

So far I like the evergoods. The extra length keepers are a bit finicky because they pop out easily, but they are easy to re do so i recognize it’s a give and take here. The tabs on the side can be stiff when you get it (I got the special edition waxed canvas one) but it will wear over time and fit more comfortably.

Hip and sling wear are good. No complaints. Compartments are thoughtful and I like them. One large compartment and a few smaller tighter compartments with organization that makes sense. I think only complaint is the positioning of the sling release. I find it a little hard to get to but it is an ambidextrous so I can see why people like it. Again, not a “negative” on the bag just not my preference, but I think I’m partial to the asymmetrical mag lock - but I could see that maybe not good when you wear it hip style. So… I call it a wash.

The moto sling is good. It’s. It front wear only. You can wear it however you want but it doesn’t transition as welll from front to back if you just sling it back and forth on the one shoulder (if that makes sense) it actually doesn’t matter where the shoulder pad goes, it’s comfortable either way. I do like the mag lock on it. Easy to get in and out but doesn’t pop out super easily (it’s pretty secure).
Volume wise thought this is going to be less gracious about being filled with sheit and having you hang stuff off of it as the evergoods. But still quite a large bag with plenty of utility. (Again, not a con just a different use philosophy.

lol. Yep I got both the evergoods and moto sling.

So far I like the evergoods. The extra length keepers are a bit finicky because they pop out easily, but they are easy to re do so i recognize it’s a give and take here. The tabs on the side can be stiff when you get it (I got the special edition waxed canvas one) but it will wear over time and fit more comfortably.

Hip and sling wear are good. No complaints. Compartments are thoughtful and I like them. One large compartment and a few smaller tighter compartments with organization that makes sense. I think only complaint is the positioning of the sling release. I find it a little hard to get to but it is an ambidextrous so I can see why people like it. Again, not a “negative” on the bag just not my preference, but I think I’m partial to the asymmetrical mag lock - but I could see that maybe not good when you wear it hip style. So… I call it a wash.

The moto sling is good. It’s. It front wear only. You can wear it however you want but it doesn’t transition as welll from front to back if you just sling it back and forth on the one shoulder (if that makes sense) it actually doesn’t matter where the shoulder pad goes, it’s comfortable either way. I do like the mag lock on it. Easy to get in and out but doesn’t pop out super easily (it’s pretty secure).
Volume wise thought this is going to be less gracious about being filled with sheit and having you hang stuff off of it as the evergoods. But still quite a large bag with plenty of utility. (Again, not a con just a different use philosophy.

Which strap amongst these is your fav, babe?

Mmmmm…. At this level. I mean I think they are all comparable. You won’t find a shtty strap on any of them. They are all thick (length and width) to serve. But the moto sling, obviously, steps it up with the pad so it’s more comfortable and stays put even if packed out and a little loose. where as the other two will probably slip and slide more. But… obviously, you loose the flexibility to go hip style with the moto. That is for sure a sling (front or back) only.

you can mitigate the slippage by tightening the strap but that becomes more uncomfortable on your shoulder and I find the design lends to cutting into your neck because it’s lot offset. Even on the offset design like the aer, I didn’t love it being tight around my chest which is why I eventually sold it off.

Last edited:
Politely disagree on the aer sling you posted. At that point I’d say get a backpack. Don’t half it. That looks large enough to just get the city pack and have the comfort of two straps vs just one

I suggest look up some techwear slings/ bags.

C.P. Company have few good ones.

I love this aer travel sling 2 (picture)
They have super good bags👌

https://aersf.com/View attachment 285677

Orbit have some cool stuff too.
https://www.orbitgear.net/
Other neat

https://www.jweep.co
Chrome industries hip sling is good too

Codeofbell is nicely priced and good quality brand.

https://www.codeofbell.com/
Politely disagree on the aer sling you posted. At that point I’d say get a backpack. Don’t half it. That looks large enough to just get the city pack and have the comfort of two straps vs just one
Gotta agree with @fortheloveofmoar here, that aer jawn is yuge lol

“when you need to haul an empty keg throughout the city while looking like a mysterious server”

Gotta agree with @fortheloveofmoar here, that aer jawn is yuge lol

“when you need to haul an empty keg throughout the city while looking like a mysterious server”

Yeah i need laptop sometimes with me ,that is absolutely smallest bag able to carry it. Point was their bags are good quality

Do you really want to go with a hip/fanny pack? Slings or messenger bags are very convenient for access and would not require sandals, shorts, flower shirt, and ankle-high socks that would normally be required with a hip/fanny pack. Just an opinion…
alright, I've narrowed it down to 3 so I might need some help:

Evergoods Mountain Hip Pack

Code of Bell X-Pod 2 (S)

Waterfield Hip Sling Bag (was leaning towards the Moto Sling, but I don't like that it's a front wear only)

*side note: there was a barely used X-Pod on ebay and I missed the listing by like $1* 😢

Do you really want to go with a hip/fanny pack? Slings or messenger bags are very convenient for access and would not require sandals, shorts, flower shirt, and ankle-high socks that would normally be required with a hip/fanny pack. Just an opinion…
you can wear all of em as a sling or "daddy" pack, that's one factor of all 3 packs that made me choose 'em.

sometimes my shoulder/neck be tired, so a quick position change is nice

I don’t want to start a new thread.

Alpaka Elements Tech Case

or

Aer Day Sling 3

Back