So, I have a loupe...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhymeswithoranj

Reaction score
And it's great. Quality. Gives me a beautiful, close up look at the edge of the blade.

But I have no idea what I'm looking for, and how using it can improve my sharpening.

Any thoughts?

Well, have a look around here for starters....
https://scienceofsharp.wordpress.com/
I've had a good red already, actually. Fascinating. And daunting. But mostly microscope imagery, as far as I could tell. I guess I'm after practical advice from those who have and use loupes when sharpening.

Edit. Good read, not red. Although a good red would be ok right about now...

Not sure how 'powerful' your loop is, but I would suggest just checking to make sure that you have a nice clean apex. You can see most of the same thing without a loop if you turn the knife at the correct angle into the light. You're looking for inconsistencies in the light reflection as much as anything else.

Find a 6X LED light mag glass helps when sharpening others knives. Nice to get a close up of the edge to see what you are up against. Usually slice through newsprint to test edge if it hangs up or makes more noise in an area usually can find the reason with a mag. glass.

Latest posts

Back