so i just bought a Masamoto KS 240

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can I ask you what kind of OOTB sharpness I can expect? (I ordered mine from JCK). My one and only Japanese style knife to date is a Murray Carter, and that thing redefined "sharp" for me on arrival. I am concerned that I don't have the skill to set a proper bevel if one isn't in place when it arrives. Maybe I should pack it right back up and send it to Dave, see if he can redefine sharp me for again! I was asking about using a buffer on the other thread with the KS in mind, as I would like it to have the same finish you put on your Shigefusa (which looks amazing btw).

the OOTB edge is decent. i don't think you'll have any trouble, a bevel is definitely there. just remember to take the lacquer off with nail polish remover before you do anything. thanks for the compliment bout my Shig! a mono steel knife like the Masamoto is much harder to polish because the whole knife is hard, unlike a san mai knife that has softer steel around the core. i was originally planning on ordering some new norton and micro-mesh pads next month and polishing the Masamoto, but i'm actually really happy with how it is brushed. i did use a 320 pad to brush out the existing sharpening scratches, but that's it.

Thanks for the advice. I have never seen a blade with a lacquer coating on it...not sure I would have even known if you didn't say something. I ordered the little 165mm Masamoto petty too; can't wait for them to arrive! I admire your taste in knives. Love that Sab of yours and, like you, I have my eye on a Heji. Trying to decide whether something in semi-stainless would round out my small collection of carbon gyutos (270mm Carter, 240mm KS, and 210mm?).

A lot of carbon steel knives come with some sort of lacquer finish. As for the Heiji, it's a different kind of knife from what you're going to have. Heftier and the grind is really quite different, as well.

yeah, a lot of knives are lacquered. always look to see if the emote, the neck, has the same finish as the rest of the blade. if it looks different, there is lacquer. i want the Heiji because it will finish my Shigefusa and Yoshikane trio (to my mind, at least). it'll be a very different knife to the Masamoto. a lot of people like the semi-stainless, but i'm only interested in carbon, these days.

I have seen Jon show the lacquer finish that some of his higher end wares arrive with on one of his videos. I suppose I would know what I was looking at if it had an "oil slick" or "rainbow" appearance, but not if it were clear.

I should start my own thread and ask the community at large instead about a sensible third gyuto instead of hijacking this one. Heftier and semi-stainless sounds like something I could hand to someone helping me in my kitchen and/or something I might use to cut up citrus instead of one of the carbon blades.

the lacquer on most knives is clear, it just seems to change reflectivity. knives like the Heiji are heftier at the spine, but very thin at the edge. i wouldn't hand them to just anybody.

knives like the Heiji are heftier at the spine, but very thin at the edge. i wouldn't hand them to just anybody.

Well, maybe not just anybody, but perhaps someone who wouldn't wipe it down right away after cutting something acidic or ensure that it is bone dry before putting it away. My mother's favorite knife is a little santoku made by Cuisinart of all people. I could probably pick one up for $20 and just hide it in a drawer until someone untrustworthy asks to help me out with dinner!

Back