So what's the best way to get the sharpest knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ceramic has been used for thousands of years. Longer than steel, even. Fancy modern man there should insist on silicene or carbon nanotubes or somesuch.

Or on a powered tool. Oh yeah, that one sometimes turns all blunt on you and/or severs your fingers, or suddenly makes a stranger come and stab you with it, reboot and update firmware at your next convenience.

I want obsidian knives dammit! Obsidian!

@WildBoar while probably distasteful to most here, you just described a food trend that could sell big time to hipsters.

A Cnc machine I would imagine could put on a better edge then a hand sharpening

Atrain316 so it would seem. If it worked, there would be sightings in the wild of OOTB edges (honbazuke excepted) that don't suck.

Robotic process lines maybe can get quite a good edge. But the key with all of this is profile and the algorithms to re calibrate technique for different knives (and of course 3d scanning for that). Aka sure a machine could do it if you had a few mil spare.

Or you could use a $100 stone

So with that being said with stones being the best who is the best sharpener

So with that being said with stones being the best who is the best sharpener
Murry? Murry Carter,is that you?

Are you looking for someone to sharpen a knife for you so you can win a sharpening contest??? Murry, I highly suggest Dave M at Japanese Knife Sharpening or Jon Broida at Japanese Knife Imports. Both are in the elite ranks of sharpeners in the US, and are also discrete so your secret will be safe. Good luck in the competition!

:wink:

This is the first I've heard of this sharpening device. My first thought was could this be used to polish knives that have the horizontal polishing? I know the belt is rather narrow for something like this,but could be done still, right?

@daveb I assume you would be lauding them if it was ULTRA great, but would be giving us a rant if the sharpening was anything less than very solid.

Back