Stefan's Some extra handles available

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As much for myself as for everyone else, here is an udate on what is sold and what isn't.

I hope I didn't forget anyone. Of course, I am running late again, but I plan to ship the sold ones all out this coming week. Thanks everyone!

Stefan

P.S. Ooops, the black-yellow-blue one on the second pic is also sold, not reserved.

Really interested in your handles.
Do you do blade installation?

Stop looking at my handle guys^^^^^:nunchucks: @ Mike and those under him :p

Stefan am I missing the pricing somewhere?

Wonder if I could re-handle my fish scaler with one of these guys?...

Hi guys, I have a hard time, getting my act together these days. Still no news on a new job, deadlines at work and some other issues really affect my motivation. Then I had banked everything on the past long weekend and was down with a migraine for almost 2 days of it. I'll just keep doing what I can...

As for the handles: Correct, I prefer to have Dave put them on if you order one. Not only is he better at it than I am, I also just don't want to have peoples' knives - especially working tools - here for undetermined times, considering that I can be notoriously slow and just not getting to them. For prices, please contact me, I haven't uploaded them on my website, yet. I have 2 or 3 more I wanted to finish and then do that.

As for the fish scaler - why not, worked on cake servers for my Mom :) I also wondered when I looked at my soup lade the other day...

Stefan

No worries Stefan. It's something you do in your spare time, nothing to stress about. Keep doing nice handles when you can and people will still want them when they can get them. You're always honest about it.

Regards

Bryan

Don't suppose you would be interested in crafting a handle for a gesshin (sp) hide cleaver?

Don't suppose we could talk about a custom handle for a gesshin (sp?) hide cleaver?

Don't suppose we could talk about a custom handle for a gesshin (sp?) hide cleaver?

Talk is cheap :D We can talk per PM, but - and that's the same for everyone else at this point - it will take quite a bit of time.

Stefan

Just following up on this. Several people had reserved or paid for some of the handles listed above. When I started to sort and pack them, I found that a few looked like I could do them better. So, I went back and refinished several of them. That's why this has been taking a bit longer. Now, all of these handles are either done or on the drying board and need a few more layers of finish. But they should all go out by the end of the week at the latest.

I also got moving on other orders again, hoping that I can stay at it continuously dor some time now.

Thanks,

Stefan

Hi Stefan. First picture on post #31, fifth handle down on the right. Can you tell me what materials you used for this? I love that red spacer (if spacer is the correct term in this case) against the dark wood.

Also, I've always really liked the striped handle (third picture on post #31, second one down on the right). Very unique. I hope that somebody here buys it so I can see it installed!

I asume you mean the blackwood handle with the red spacer? That spacer is reconstituted stone, jasper in this case. The endcap is fossilized mammoth tooth, and there is some of the same red tone in the mammoth material, that's why I thought they would make a good combination. The ferrule is black horn. It's a bit on the shorter and stubbier side, would be nice for a smaller (180?) deba or any knife around that length if you prefer slightly thicker handles.

The striped handle is made from a piece that I picked up on ebay. It's purple heart, and it looks like they routed grooves in there which were then filled with American holly. The holly inserts themselves don't go very deep, so I could not really do much to the shape and left it round. I was thinking maybe for a cleaver which often come with round handles anyway. I have 2 more pieces of that material but they are a bit thinner in diameter. Definitely something different...

Stefan

Hi Stefan. First picture on post #31, fifth handle down on the right. Can you tell me what materials you used for this? I love that red spacer (if spacer is the correct term in this case) against the dark wood.

Also, I've always really liked the striped handle (third picture on post #31, second one down on the right). Very unique. I hope that somebody here buys it so I can see it installed!

Stephan: I'm new to the site and love it! If you have a moment, could you shoot me a PM advising the process to acquire custom handles from you? Thanks, Charlie

Hello! could you send me a PM on the procedure for contacting you privately to discuss appropriate handles and prices? Thanks!

I can't beleive that Amboyna handle is still available

Just to update this, the large amboyna handle is sold and the blackwood handle with the blue bakelite ferrule is reserved.

Stefan

Here are some extra ones. They include a few that have been around for a while, a few that I reworked, and a few new ones. Probably half a dozen more will follow in about 2 weeks or so. I forgot my caliper in the shop, but I will try and take better pics and describe them a bit. If any one of them interests you, please let me know. BTW, I they are all finished and ready to ship except for a final wipe-down, but the box I had them in was dusty, so some look dirtier than they are - hadn't noticed when I took them out in the semi-dark living room for a quick snapshot...

Just roughly, left to right:

Spalted Hawaiian Norfolk pine, gyuto handle - star of show IMHO, beautiful piece of wood
Black ash burl, smaller gyuto, deba
bone scales, amboyna core, oval shape with strong taper
koa with maple ferrule and end cap, red fiber spacers, around 180 gyuto, nakiri, maybe even deba
blackwood, dyed burl, black ash spacer, smaller gyuto
blackwood, horn ferrule, jasper spacer, mammoth tooth endcap, small deba, 180 gyuto (a little on the sturdy side)
purple heart and holly stripes, honey horn ferrule and end cap, round with flattened ferrule, large gyuto or cleaver
walnut burl, spalted signature ferrule, horn end cap, oval, small deba?
redwood burl, afzelia tip, horn spacer and end cap, thinner handle for petty
ebony, koa ferrule, burl end piece, slim handle, maybe a 270 funayuki or a slim yanagi
spalted Cook pine, horn ferrule, gyuto 270
blackwood, black horn ferrule, honey horn end cap (ferrule was supposedly honey also but when finished, only black remained...), gyuto
blackwood, dyed teal burl, mammoth tooth end cap, gyuto, deba
koa, buckeye burl ferrule, amboyna spacer, slimmer gyuto or suji/yanagi
blue dyed birdseye maple, black ash burl ferrule, petty handle
Masur birch burl, black horn spacer, cream horn ferrule (you can see leftover buffing compound that has not yet been cleaned out, this one has a somewhat rustic surface because of te burl wood), gyuto handle

front left: Hawaiian milo (I think), spalted maple ferrule, fiber spacers, gyuto handle, front right: ambrosia maple, redwood burl ferrule.

Stefan

PM sent on the following: Masur birch burl, black horn spacer, cream horn ferrule and koa, buckeye burl ferrule, amboyna spacer

Hi everyone, I woke up finding several PMs - thanks for the interest! - and several showed interest in the same handles, specifically the Norfolk pine, Masur birch and koa with buckeye burl handles. I will try to go through them in the order I received them but I need coffee first. What I can say already is that the koa with buckeye burl handle as well as the redwood petty handle are reserved at this time.

Stefan

Waiting to hear back from someone who has first dibs on these yanagi handles, but whatever he doesn't take will move into the 'available' pool.

Stefan

I'm really liking that second piece from the top of the yanagi handles. Makes me want to buy a nicer yanagi just so I can buy that handle. Since I've been meaning to buy a better yanagi, maybe I will buy that handle if it becomes available!

Thanks guys, I made a few of these to choose from for a gentleman who specified he wanted them on the slim side and long, for 300-300 yanagis. So they are all just around 20x25mm at the end and over 150mm long. In case you are wondering: mango, Honduran rosewood burl, koa, and spalted Hawaiian kukui nut are the main handle woods.

Stefan

Back