Something you've been meaning to try?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been meaning to make bulgogi for a while but for some reason I never get myself to source everything.

original_ex-straw.png

22 bucks apiece

A few things I still want to try at some point come to mind:
-Mess around with transglutaminase...
-Make a dish with only chicken oysters and see if it actually makes any difference
-Make a chicken galantine
-Eat more fish. I'm pretty good with meat but a total newbie when it comes to fish. Because we rarely ate it at home it's just not in my system.

22 bucks apiece
22 bucks FOR A STRAWBERRY!?! That's absolutely nuts. The first 2 don't even look ripe.

And to be frank... usually the smaller ones taste best. The bigger they are the more watery they get.

22 bucks FOR A STRAWBERRY!?! That's absolutely nuts. The first 2 don't even look ripe.

And to be frank... usually the smaller ones taste best. The bigger they are the more watery they get.

Take a more careful look at the boxes...

Home smoked bacon

So easy to do and I always have the ingredients but actually making homemade pasta

Duck / goose

Take a more careful look at the boxes...

So on the off chance they actually are sweet... it's still.. 22 bucks. For 1 strawberry. For 20 euros I can buy at least 10 kilos of the very best top quality strawberries when they're in season. It's one of the few things grown in the Netherlands that's actually pretty decent.

Not saying I would pay 22 bucks for a single strawberry at all. Heck I even try to pull my wife away from strawberries every time we go to the grocery store together, just wanted to bring to your attention to the fact that the colours seemed to stem from special varieties or something like that, not from being unripe.

So on the off chance they actually are sweet... it's still.. 22 bucks. For 1 strawberry. For 20 euros I can buy at least 10 kilos of the very best top quality strawberries when they're in season. It's one of the few things grown in the Netherlands that's actually pretty decent.

Normally, if you get a strawberry that is as white in the left one in ANY spot you're getting a strawberry shaped cucumber lol

Not saying I would pay 22 bucks for a single strawberry at all. Heck I even try to pull my wife away from strawberries every time we go to the grocery store together, just wanted to bring to your attention to the fact that the colours seemed to stem from special varieties or something like that, not from being unripe.

Yeah sorry it's was a fair point. I just couldn't get over the ridiculousness of the price. I guess I'm just a bit snobbish when it comes to strawberries - and their prices. Can't wait until the season starts again... I usually eat a pound a day for the entire season. They're close to my heart! ;)

Yeah sorry it's was a fair point. I just couldn't get over the ridiculousness of the price. I guess I'm just a bit snobbish when it comes to strawberries - and their prices. Can't wait until the season starts again... I usually eat a pound a day for the entire season. They're close to my heart! ;)

no this, I would guess, stemmed from when Rene Redzepi went to Japan and served up a white strawberry. Which to his credit is very intuitive, and interesting...that being said it's also ridiculous and possibly very unhealthy. I think the power of persuasion has captured the fascination of people willing to throw money at something just because of the price tag. Obscurity does not mean better, there's a reason Darwinism is a thing.

https://www.quora.com/Are-white-strawberries-in-Japan-genetically-engineered-to-have-that-color

Does anyone know a site where I can get cacao, but where they really specify about the variety and location. And yes this other request is obviously stupid, but can it be a place that doesn't rob my future children of a college fund?

Obscurity does not mean better, there's a reason Darwinism is a thing.
Reminds me how a few years ago there was this trend to reintroduce 'forgotten vegetables'. While some of them were indeed very nice.... some of them indeed deserved to be forgotten. :)

i have been meaning to play around with fermenting some chile's;

specifically some summertime habanero's that have been left on the vine a but to sweeten up.

Make Kimchi. Can't get enough of it and 10 bucks for a .75 gallon is kinda pricey for mostly cabbage.
Here is the best recipe I've tried so far http://seonkyounglongest.com/korean-napa-cabbage-kimchi
And she is fun to watch too. She has other nice traditional Korean recipes.

We go through a lot of Kimchi at home so I've got a whole section of the fridge dedicated to the big Kimchi container (which is empty now and the wife is giving me a lot of grief).

Go for it, it can't be compared to anything I have bought . Even though our local Korean grocery store sells Kimchi made there and it's better than most mass produced it's still a far cry and we have started twerking the recipe with pretty good results (except the time we forgot to wash the cabbage after softening, that was bad).

kimcheeeeeee..

this is coming from a korean.

cut cabbage into squares, soak overnight in warm salted water leave room temp, then rinse the hell out of it with cold water the next day.
put in a food processor: garlic, ginger, red fresno peppers, korean chili flakes and rice pouridge, mix in salted shrimp, julienned onion/daikon/asian pear/carrots/scallion and corn syrup
toss that together, put in an open container, weigh it down, cover with cheesecloth leave in fridge. will start to taste good after 4-5 days.

Maybe I can get some help, I have wanted to make some sauerkraut but really haven't done any research into it (I've done no research). I took about a qt. container, filled it with shredded green cabbage, then filled the container 1/2 vinegar + 1/2 water, added some salt and sugar, cumin seeds, coriander seeds and black peppercorns. It's been in the fridge for about 6 months and I tasted a little bit of of the "soup" which pretty much tastes like coriander seeds. But the cabbage is not plump, should I take it out of the fridge? Does anybody think it'll still ferment? Should I keep it anerobic (without oxygen)?

I can't for the life of me imagine why someone would go through all the trouble of making their own sauerkraut. I wouldn't even eat that stuff if there was a famine. Let alone make it, especially when you can buy it for a euro per kilo. But for the record, that's not how you make it. At all.

Maybe I can get some help, I have wanted to make some sauerkraut but really haven't done any research into it (I've done no research). I took about a qt. container, filled it with shredded green cabbage, then filled the container 1/2 vinegar + 1/2 water, added some salt and sugar, cumin seeds, coriander seeds and black peppercorns. It's been in the fridge for about 6 months and I tasted a little bit of of the "soup" which pretty much tastes like coriander seeds. But the cabbage is not plump, should I take it out of the fridge? Does anybody think it'll still ferment? Should I keep it anerobic (without oxygen)?

Message aboynamedsuita https://www.instagram.com/p/BQ_sN5ogDht/?taken-by=aboynamedsuita He seems to know whats up

@DDPslice that sounds like Krautsalat not Sauerkraut :)

@panda so you suggest against letting the kimchee ferment at room temperature for a day or two?

J, sliced cabbage + salt = living food

Add sliced cabbage (or even whole) to an appropriate Cambro container, put another same sized Cambro on top and add enough water press cabbage. Leave under the bathroom counter for a month.

You can make it fancier as DPP suggested (im sure its wonderful), I'm kinda a purist with my ferments though.

I might add some Shio Koji next time though

I want to make my own sauerkraut because it tastes better. I've had homemade lacto-fermented sauerkraut once and I wouldn't even consider it the same foodstuff as commercially packaged kraut. The flavor profile is vastly different, the texture is different, the mouthfeel is different; I would never use commercial kraut again if I had sufficient supplies of homemade kraut, but of course I like sauerkraut and so "better sauerkraut" is worth some time and effort to me.

@DDP, your recipe sounds more like brined cabbage. Again, not a bad thing, but a different foodstuff. Between the vinegar and the refrigeration it doesn't seem like the bacterial action of fermentation will be able to occur. The traditional method uses an open crock filled with salted cabbage (and too much salt will also prevent fermentation) at the high end of room temperature. The liquid exuded from the cabbage should be enough to cover it and weights keep it submerged, maintaining an anaerobic environment. It has to be skimmed of mold and yeast frequently. It looks and smells gross and frankly requires more faith than I have at this point, so I am using a crock with a cover and a "moat" of water that works like the valves used in beer and wine making. Supposedly it facilitates fermentation without needing as much attention to prevent spoilage.

Note, however, that I have not gotten this to work yet, so take it with a grain (or about 3 tablespoons per 5 pounds of cabbage) of salt. I am pretty sure, though, that under 60-65 degrees it will not work at all, and I'm not sure about the vinegar; the sourness comes from lactic acid produced by the desirable bacteria, and in the same way that alcohol-producing yeast has a maximum concentration I would imagine that there is a maximum acidity that stops fermentation.

A proper chicken galantine. Will settle for duck or guineafowl.

Actually did try a test run last night.... with a soup chicken I'd been meaning to stew. Figured 'what the hell, it's going to get cut up anyway so might as well get some practise in'. Actually the deboning worked out far better than expected. Lessons learned

-When trying galantine, have stuffing on hand; it looks daunting but is actually quite doable
-Soup chickens are not great for this (still tough after 3 hrs of poaching)
-Cheese does not a good stuffing make (it runs, leaving cheese gunk all over the thing)
-Tying with rope is absolutely necessary for when you fry the crust at the end (otherwise it'll uncoil itself)

Definitly try it; it's actually not as difficult as I expected.. Watch Pepin's movie on youtube; I think he has the easiest and for the quickest way of doing it. For the legs I found it easier to just switch to the Japanese style of deboning them, but that's probably because I've been doing that more often. YMMV.

Back