Sous Vide Sous vide clueless need help.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you really get into SV cooking like me, you be looking for a PID/Crock pot set up in no time. Today i'm going to go home and remove a brisket (deckle) after 50 hours of cooking.Running the Polysci that long is annoying but in a crock-pot its quiet and efficient. The polysci is great for fussy foods (fish, eggs) and great for reheating meats cause it heats up faster than the crock pot. Good tip, use the hottest water from the tap to fill your cambro and it will heat up much faster.

I like the overkill of the 215. I think it will out last me. I will make room:biggrin: think its about 90lbs. I may get a metal cart or table for it. Still working on what size Cambro to get factoring in water displacement. Looks like max is 30 liters to keep stable temp. Thanks for the comments on the cut out lid will definitely be getting one. Originally wondered about the water ovens vs circulators due to noise. Do you wish you bought a water oven like a sous vide supreme instead or do you prefer your circulator and stock pot combo. Don't want to irritate my wife. Thought the circulator would sound like an aquarium pump. Do you find it annoying on long cooks? Thanks for your opinions.

The sous vide supreme is quiet but small. Like Mucho Bocho said, a better way to go for long cooks is a crock pot or steam table and a PID controller.

The sous vide supreme is quiet but small. Like Mucho Bocho said, a better way to go for long cooks is a crock pot or steam table and a PID controller.

Seen some videos, blogs,etc. on the crockpot/rice cooker with PID controller. Are they all home made PID controllers or can you purchase one. What benefit is there over just using polyscience professional circulator for long cooks as well as short cooks. I am open to what you guys are saying. New to all of this but definitely will be doing it and excited about the possibilities.

I'm tapping in on every question that Deckhand has - so props for asking the questions, and I'm also awaiting the replies.

Not sure that I would need more room than is available in a sous vide supreme - simply due to constraints of living in a small apartment.

Tristan thanks for your comments. After days of research I feel I could almost write a dissertation, but I know I have much to learn. Much of the information is put out by the companies of the products. Kind of like Mark Twain saying if you don't read the news you are uninformed if you read the news you are misinformed. I have been enjoying my research nonetheless. Don't know if any of this helps but here is a snipet of my reading.

Mucho Bucho recommended the VP112. I can see why he likes it. It's much lighter and you can vacuum seal containers with a hose that comes off it as a bonus. The other vacmasters don't have that. It gets good ratings. It really just depends on personal preference. The vacmaster 210 seems a little more industrial. The 215 has a stronger pump than the 210. Sous vide magic PID is a PID controller that is already made if you didn't want to make your own. The sous vide supreme water oven seems like people are very happy and is quiet. I am sure better quality versions will be made soon if not from them a competing company. It seems like a good budget option as it controls water temp and already has the container and rack. The polyscience sous vide professional seems like my most likely option but will have a certain amount of ambient noise from the pump. I will see how my budget goes In the next few weeks I am getting a Big Green Egg xl, a vacmaster 215, and then whatever remains will determine sous vide supreme vs polyscience professional vs polyscience professional modernist cuisine kit. That being said if I get a sous vide supreme to start I think it would work out just fine. I can always get the polyscience professional later. Either way I will be having a great time cooking.

For the benefit of others reading this thread later vacmasters and many other chamber vacuum sealers run on a timer with a mechanical pressure gauge. Other makers make ones that seal at a particular vacuum percentage like the minipack mvs31x. You need to actually go to the next model up from this one in order to get a Bosch pump, the model below it is a timer sealer not vacuum percentage. Many say the Bosch pump is superior and can be rebuilt. In all likelihood I will buy the VP112 mentioned earlier in the post as many people on many forums are very happy with the weight and cost. As I delve more into modernist cuisine and sous vide techniques, infusions,etc. I may at a later point buy one that seals at a set vacuum percentage. If money is no object I would get this type. If anyone has a chamber sealer that vacuums on a percentage like the minipack I would welcome their input. I have read a post about texture variance in food by various percentages
http://www.cookingissues.com/2009/0...uum-machines-affect-the-texture-of-your-meat/
Also, heard under pressure cooking sous vide by Ruhlman has vacuum percentages, and assuming in the Modernist Cuisine.
One last thought some people enjoy the benefit of retort pouches and retort capable is of interest in their purchase.

Latest posts

Back