Sous vide recipe resources

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malexthekid

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just starting to getting into sous vide and an after some good sources/cookbooks.

Thanks in advance.

Under pressure is a good start.

SV may be the first technique/method that is better supported through websites than the more traditional cookbooks. I've picked up a few cookbooks along the way, "Under Pressure" by Keller is good, (great pics), a few others are not bad. Not a fan of Baldwin.

When I want to try something new I start with Chef Steps and Serious Eats web sites. Chef Steps even has a couple free on-line SV classes that will help establish basics. Each of the manufacturers have websites with recipes and techniques, Anova is good, Sansaire and Sous Vide (the company) are so so. Favorite is Nomiko - you'll want to be on their email list even with a different machine.

There are several users here, any specific questions will probably be answered. Not always correctly.

Enjoy.

SV may be the first technique/method that is better supported through websites than the more traditional cookbooks. I've picked up a few cookbooks along the way, "Under Pressure" by Keller is good, (great pics), a few others are not bad. Not a fan of Baldwin.

When I want to try something new I start with Chef Steps and Serious Eats web sites. Chef Steps even has a couple free on-line SV classes that will help establish basics. Each of the manufacturers have websites with recipes and techniques, Anova is good, Sansaire and Sous Vide (the company) are so so. Favorite is Nomiko - you'll want to be on their email list even with a different machine.

There are several users here, any specific questions will probably be answered. Not always correctly.

Enjoy.

Not a fan of Baldwin except for cooking times and temps, his charts are very accurate. The recipes, boring and some of them just don't make sense flavor wise. I have heard Under Pressure is fairly technical, but if Dave and Rick like it maybe it needs to be put on my wish list. Chef Steps website is a good source for sous vide recipes.

Check out the /sousvide subreddit on reddit. It takes some time to navigate

Apart from the others mentioned cookingissues.com is a good resource

Apart from the others mentioned cookingissues.com is a good resource

Understand texture of different meats, what doneness you want eg from beef (medium rare is always ~ 55C/130F) and you already lock down the temps. Temps are critical in SV only if doneness is critical BTW. If you are making well done cuts, 5C above will not yield greatly different results other than allowing shorter timings. eg Duck Confit - people do it from 70-85C. Tried all, liked 80C but hey it isn't a great deal of difference.

Timing is very flexible on SV cooking - 1 or 3 hour usually makes little difference. Long cooking is required for toucher cuts like short ribs, or when you want to tenderize and NOT just cook through only. Simply google what you want to make from common sense and decide from the many sites varying temp/timing guides - then start off from there and make your own notes.

Back